Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hours worked vs number of jobs

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
21 of 66

Suzanne,

As I no longer have a record of what I said (if you do, then I would be grateful if you would pm me ).

As certain of you do not to want to let this go, I want to reiterate that  I had no intention of belittling anyone.  All I wanted to say to the OP, was not to worry if she did not have as many hours as other freelancers, and a way of getting round it when bidding.

So once again, I apologize to all those whom I have offended.

babzward
Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
22 of 66

There should be a distinction listed to show the difference between hourly jobs and fixed-rate jobs.

Something along the lines of:

x hourly jobs for y total hours

z fixed rate jobs for $n total

This could also be a good way to circumvent the whole privatizing the earnings thing, too... It wouldn't exactly make it private, but it would help to make the distinction between projects. You could even toss in an "average milestone amount" but that would probably be a lot of extra work for someone.

- Barbara Herrera -
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
23 of 66

double posting gremlin - deleted

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
24 of 66

Hi All,

Please, note that the two threads about this topic have been merged so we can keep the discussion more focused and organized as well as share it with the team.

Also, a couple of posts have been edited. We would like to ask you to treat other members of the Upwork Community with respect regardless of the work they do or the rate they charge for their services.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
25 of 66

Valeria, I recently learned, from a client, that when looking at proposals, before clicking on the client, ALL it shows them is job success score and hours worked. It doesn't even show them how many jobs the freelancer actually completed until you click on the person - which they may never do if their profile shows very few actual hours. Who cares how high your JSS is if it shows so little work hours? What good is 90%+ JSS with only 14 hours? As a client, I would think they haven't done enough work yet- that they maybe got scored high only on 1-2 jobs, which isn't enough for me to get a good sample, and not even click on them.  

This completely ignores the fixed rate contracts. Now I get why it's difficult to get jobs as a fixed rate freelancer. Why do you give it as an option, to be paid at a fixed rate, if it only hurts the freelancer and doesn't count as work done? Wouldn't it be FAR more fair to show jobs completed vs hours worked on that screen? 

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
26 of 66

It's a disadvantage. Aside from what just about everyone said, if a client puts down that they need a contractor who worked x amount of hours, and a contractor  who works only on fixed rate job, or actually any contractor who may have a ton of fixed rate jobs, and just very few hourly jobs, submits a proposal, the client gets a mesage saying that the contractor doesn't meet your requirements.  Many of you on here who are also clients as well as contractors may say that they look at all proposals even those that have the message that they didn't meet the requirements, But are you, as clients, in the majority taking into consideration that there are thousands of clients on here.

crhysconsulting
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
27 of 66

I do not have any hours logged because I do not work hourly. It just isn't cost effective for my clients. The problem for freelancers that only work on fixed rate contracts sometimes run into job postings where the client wants hours logged which renders the freelancer "not qualified" to apply. 

The other hoop we have to jump through is the requirement to post an hourly rate. 

gd90
Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
28 of 66

At the very least, the hours count shown in the applicant list should be restricted to jobs in the same category. One egregious case I saw earlier this year was an applicant for a video editing job with 2500+ hours logged. Turns out, 2300+ hours were for 'web research' and data entry jobs at $3-4. That's a completely misleading indicator.

That's like someone applying to be a commercial pilot, saying that they did their 1500 hours with 1400 hours at a restaurant and 100 at flight school.

mykael_a
Michael A Member Since: Jan 9, 2016
29 of 66

I want to know what upwork does to protect freelancers who have worked mostly on fixed-priced jobs.

To begin with,it's quite awkward to see freelancers whose profiles appear extremely unappealing becuase these freelancers may have successfully complete a number of fixed-priced jobs and little or no hourly jobs. This makes it very difficult for such freelancers to be awarded jobs which specifically emphasize that applicants must have at least 100 and above upwork hours.

I hope upwork introduces a more friendly mechanism to deal with this situation.

kalaani
Community Leader
Kalaani W Member Since: Jan 14, 2016
30 of 66

In Profiles, Currently it shows no of jobs only . Can UW give chance to add no of jobs too ?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS