🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How Long Should I Wait Before Disputing a Non...
Page options
jafludd-wordpro
Community Member

How Long Should I Wait Before Disputing a Non-Payment?

Hello, Community.  I need some advice.

I have--or had--this client for Romance Ghostwriting.  She was enthusiastic about my profile.  She loved the writing sample that I sent her.  She had me jump through the hoop of writing a "test" assignment for her.  And she just notified me that she thinks my writing style is not suitable for her audience and she doesn't want to pursue the contract any further.  What's more, this woman is the fourth new client in a row who has done this to me!  And furthermore, the previous three who did this to me at least paid me as agreed for the "test" assignment.  This woman has called it off without paying.  

Now, folks, I'm disgusted enough that this is the fourth consecutive new client who has done this to me.  And I'm so disgusted, in fact, that I've decided to keep only the one remaining romance client that I have and not look for, or make proposals for, any other work in this vein from now on.  What I seem to be experiencing is a very lowbrow attitude on the part of these clients.  They seem to be interested in selling love stories to semi-literate people who only read on a fourth-grade level.  I can't work that way; I write literate, intelligent material, and I've always done well with it--until now.  It seems to indicate a change in the market, and it's a change that I can't work with.  But I do want to be paid for the careful, thoughtful work that I did.

So, I am prepared to make this a dispute if I have to, and ask Upwork to talk to this woman on my behalf and try to get me the money that I've earned.  The advice that I have to ask is how long should I wait to do this?  Should I back off for a while and give this woman a chance to pay me what I've earned, or should I go to Upwork about her immediately?  In this position, how long would you wait?  I'd really like to know.

Thanks.  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jafludd-wordpro
Community Member

You can disregard this one; I was upset (actually still am, over the whole "four cancelling clients in a row" thing) and she paid.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jafludd-wordpro
Community Member

You can disregard this one; I was upset (actually still am, over the whole "four cancelling clients in a row" thing) and she paid.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members