🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How Long Until Job is Removed After I report ...
Page options
bethduddy
Community Member

How Long Until Job is Removed After I report it?

I've sent out two proposals today and both appear to be scams. When I went to report the first one, it had already been removed. It has now been a half hour or so, and the other is still up. (They asked me to download an app and set up an account to talk to the hiring manager - prohibited, yes?

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Beth D wrote:

It has now been a half hour or so, and the other is still up.

Give it time, there are literally thousands of users, half an hour is not very long. You have flagged it, there is no need to do anything else.

Beth D wrote:

(They asked me to download an app and set up an account to talk to the hiring manager - prohibited, yes?

Yes. Absolutely prohibited. Well spotted. You are not allowed to communicate with any client outside the platform until you have been hired.

efecce82
Community Member

Hello is upwork authorized to work in Kenya. How can you get the authorization letter to show it to the area officer that is asking for it

Blezzed A wrote:
Hello is upwork authorized to work in Kenya. How can you get the authorization letter to show it to the area officer that is asking for it

Since you are there, and have worked there, the answer has to be yes. Do they want you to pay a fee too?

I have been asked by our area chief to provide documentation that shows
authorization of upwork legally operating in Kenya for me to do my field
work job
Can I get this documents?

Blezzed A wrote:
I have been asked by our area chief to provide documentation that shows
authorization of upwork legally operating in Kenya for me to do my field
work job
Can I get this documents?

Upwork accepts Kenya as a country to do business with. I assume whatever they do to facilitate that is legal. They will probably not confirm that to you, since it's obvious. And they don't want to be sued. 

pgiambalvo
Community Member

So sorry to hear this happened to you when you applied to a job that you trusted to be from a legitimate client. Unfortunatley, there are many here that are not, so you need to be aware of that and remain diligent in flagging them when they seem suspicious, and then reporting them when they do turn out to be scams. And make sure to read the ToS and strictly follow it.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Beth D wrote:

I've sent out two proposals today and both appear to be scams. When I went to report the first one, it had already been removed. It has now been a half hour or so, and the other is still up. (They asked me to download an app and set up an account to talk to the hiring manager - prohibited, yes?

Beth, you are really unlucky that almost all jobs you apply to turn out to be scams. 

Before you send a proposal, do you check the following: Clients hiring rate (go for over 80%), how many people hired, what average hourly rate does he pay, what feedback does he receive, what feedback does he give, does the timezone match where he claims to be located, is the job posting well crafted, is the job well described or vague and unclear, are there typos or other mistakes an English native speaker wouldn't do, etc.?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Beth,

I've followed up with our team and the second job you've reported has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account.

Thank you for flagging this for us and for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

There is a numerous increase in the number of scam jobs & it is the time for Upwork to filter the jobs before they land on the marketplace. 

There is an easy solution which can reduce the chance by 80%.

Make sure client verified their payment method before posting a job.
Client deposit a fixed amount of $5-$20 varies on the type of the project to Upwork on their first job posting which will be adjust if they a hire any freelancer & will be returned if they close the job post.

This will be nightmare for scammers.

Looking forward to know your thoughts.

Muhammad A wrote:

There is a numerous increase in the number of scam jobs & it is the time for Upwork to filter the jobs before they land on the marketplace. 

There is an easy solution which can reduce the chance by 80%.

Make sure client verified their payment method before posting a job.
Client deposit a fixed amount of $5-$20 varies on the type of the project to Upwork on their first job posting which will be adjust if they a hire any freelancer & will be returned if they close the job post.

This will be nightmare for scammers.

Looking forward to know your thoughts.

Would not deter even one of the crypto-scammers. 

Hey Martina P, Can you explain a bit more? I don't think so Upwork support payment via Crypto?

As I mentioned it will reduce not end.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members