🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How Much To Bid ? client average rate $3 but ...
Page options
rolludesig
Community Member

How Much To Bid ? client average rate $3 but asking for an expert

As i can see bulk of projects posted are low budget and most anoying thing is clients who are paying below $5 per hour but asking for an expert for hourly project 😞

do you guys ignore such projects or bid on this? if i am right expert hourly rate is over $25 per hour? 

20 REPLIES 20
rolludesig
Community Member

i mean to say clients are misusing expert catagory...a client ready to pay $10 for logo can also post it under expert experience level..this need to be stopped.

atleast make some $$$ limit under which bids cant be posted for a particular experience level.

Clients can ask whatever they want and freelancers can decide to bid or not to bid on it.  Move along and hope others do the same.  If we don't apply, maybe clients will stop the $3 job offers!

yeah move along is what we can do and expect other too do if we want things to improve...few guys tell apply expert level filter in project posting to see high budget jobs but even that is only bringing low budget jobs so those filters are of no use.

tlbp
Community Member

Rahul V wrote:

yeah move along is what we can do and expect other too do if we want things to improve...few guys tell apply expert level filter in project posting to see high budget jobs but even that is only bringing low budget jobs so those filters are of no use.

I believe clients use the filter to indicate what level of skill they hope to hire. As a filter for freelancers, it is not very useful because what each client perceives to be a higher rate varies. So yes, for you as the freelancer, the filter is of no use. You can use the information gained from a client's selection to get an idea of how realistic their expectations are. 

Robin H wrote:

Clients can ask whatever they want and freelancers can decide to bid or not to bid on it.  Move along and hope others do the same.  If we don't apply, maybe clients will stop the $3 job offers!

So client can go scot-free for whatever he does. Is that so? Upwork is squeezing freelancers like anything and charging them for each n everything while client behavior is not at all regulated. Why not block such errant clients who are not at all serious and just waste time and now money as well (as connects are paid now) of freelancers? As of now, upwork as a platform is highly biased towards clients and ignoring the freelancers.

petra_r
Community Member

Krunal C wrote:

Robin H wrote:

So client can go scot-free for whatever he does. Is that so?

Clients can ask whatever they want as long as it is within the Terms of Service.

Why the hell would you want to block clients who are doing what is allowed?

Krunal C wrote:

As of now, upwork as a platform is highly biased towards clients

Because clients bring just about all the money (except for what is, in the overall scheme of things, peanuts in terms of connects and memberships) and are not in endless supply. Freelancers are a dime a dozen and the platform has far too many of them.

It really isn't rocket science. If you don't like a job post or the client's history, don't bid on their jobs. If a client's job post violates any terms, feel free to flag it or just move on.

kchawda
Community Member

When you don't have any regulation in place for clients, you will obviously feel like client is doing everything within what is allowed? Smiley Happy

So it is acknowledged now that freelancers will be treated like second class citizen even though they are paying good sum to upwork from what they earn. No wonder why freelancers are getting very restless off the late and many are deserting platform.

petra_r
Community Member

Krunal C wrote:

When you don't have any regulation in place for clients,

Huh? I assume you simply don't know about the rules that affect both clients and freelancers. I suggest you read the Terms of Service.

Krunal C wrote:

So it is acknowledged now that freelancers will be treated like second class citizen

Are you saying that you are treated as a second class citizen? By whom? How? 

Krunal C wrote:

they are paying good sum to upwork from what they earn.

Haha, who is paying that money the fee is taken out of?  (Clients. All of it.)

Krunal C wrote:

No wonder why freelancers are getting very restless off the late and many are deserting platform.

Good. Upwork isn't right for everyone and if people who can't make it work for them leave, that is a good thing for them and the platform. There are way, WAY more freelancers than are sustainable and every single day another 10,000 try to get in.

So Upwork isn't going to run out of freelancers any time soon just because some people want to sulk and leave.

Haha, who is paying that money the fee is taken out of?  (Clients. All of it.)

I would point out that clients can only pay those fees if freelancers are doing the work. The product here is talent. So it’s understandable that it can be frustrating if people feel their talent is not valued. Especially on a platform which sells it. I don’t think this could be considered sulking.

I accept the argument of ignoring those posts but I don’t see the benefit of them. 

vsalinitro
Community Member

Rahul V wrote:

do you guys ignore such projects or bid on this? 

It really depends on the kind of job and the client history, most of the time I ignore them but sometimes I bid anyway adjusting the budget.

tlsanders
Community Member

Look at past comparable jobs, not average hourly rate. Average hourly rate means nothing if you're a programmer and the client has spent a ton of money on data entry.

bmac_made
Community Member

Yeah this is pretty annoying. Most of the posts I'm seeing are way below what you would expect at a preffessional level. $5 an hour for anything is ridiculous. Simply ignoring them is not a solution becuase you are still having to read the post.

Billy M wrote:

Yeah this is pretty annoying. Most of the posts I'm seeing are way below what you would expect at a preffessional level. $5 an hour for anything is ridiculous. Simply ignoring them is not a solution becuase you are still having to read the post.

Once you get a little experience, it's quite easy to scroll past the lowball jobs. When I'm bidding on jobs, it takes about five minutes per day to scroll through the feed and identify the three or four jobs that are worth taking a closer look atl.

tlbp
Community Member

If I see that a client pays on average what I consider to be a low hourly rate, then I don't bid. Even that client accepts my rate, they are not someone for whom I would want to work. Do you want to work with someone who thinks $3 per hour is a reasonable rate to pay anyone? 

You are an independent business owner, evaluate each client based on what you can learn about them. Then, choose with whom you want to work. 

bmac_made
Community Member

It’s clear that anyone can choose to work with whoever they want. What’s not clear is what motivates people to come back to look at posts if 90% of them are under budget.

yes and every time i am given a solution that you should apply filter and just look for expert level jobs but now a days that is not even working as it mostly bring low budget jobs in expert catagory as well..

Rahul V wrote:

yes and every time i am given a solution that you should apply filter and just look for expert level jobs but now a days that is not even working as it mostly bring low budget jobs in expert catagory as well..

Rahul,

You were just told the exact opposite. You will get more out of the forum if you read the replies to your posts more carefully, and give them reflective consideration before reflexively arguing with them.

Best,

Michael

Rahul V wrote:

Yeah, I don't know why people advocate that. It doesn't help and can mean you miss good possibilities. Just scroll quickly through the feed and make your own assessment.

Billy M wrote:
It’s clear that anyone can choose to work with whoever they want. What’s not clear is what motivates people to come back to look at posts if 90% of them are under budget.

Because those of us who are successful here don't care about that 90% that aren't worth bidding on (I'd actually put that number much higher--I find about 2% of postings to be worth considering). That one or two in 100 that are worth pursuing have been sufficient to allow me to earn $6,000-8,000/month through Upwork (though I only use the site part-time). It would be a stunningly bad business decision to bypass all that opportunity because I experienced a few minutes of annoyance scrolling through the junk jobs.

Great reply. Thanks for the insight.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members