Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do i Change my Category?

Highlighted
Oghenerukevwe K Member Since: Aug 4, 2015
1 of 4

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if Upwork penalizes freelancers for changing their categories and job skills often. I just joined upwork and i have a really varied skill set.

I've been working as a writer for a while, I've had some success, but i want to try working as a mobile developer & and a web developer for some months to get a feel for these job categories.

After a while, i plan to specialize in whichever skill set  / category i'm more comfortable in.

So my questions:

1. Will i be penalized for this?

2. Does this affect my ability to become top-rated at all?

3. Will this action result in my proposals to jobs in these different categories being auto-hidden since i haven't been offering services in these new categories before?

Rukky Kofi
Highlighted
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
2 of 4

Hello Ogenerukevwe.

No you will not be penalized. But i think you have a maximum number of categories you can join. You also want to look out for catgories you can do very well in and deliver good quality jobs. Changing catgories will not affect your ratings but poor reviews will. Will these actions affect your proposals ? only the 'Algorithms' can 'decide'. Best of luck.

Oghenerukevwe K Member Since: Aug 4, 2015
3 of 4

Thanks Oreofe

Rukky Kofi
Highlighted
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
4 of 4

You are welcome Rukky.

Came across this article a while back. It gives some more information about skill sets and categories.

It might be of use to you

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS