🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How effective is Upwork solving the issue of ...
Page options
nosvan
Community Member

How effective is Upwork solving the issue of clients asking free work?

I just got a message from a job I applied to and it basically requested me to translate a bit of work (3 products). A quick glance at the job profile lets me know the client has contacted 40 people. I suspect this client may have taken the bulk, broke it down into small pieces and sent the to a bunch of translators to have free work.  When I told the client that no money=no work, I was told even a single product translation "to verify my quality" was enough. 

This isn't the first time I've seen this, but I wonder how Upwork deals with this kind of situations. For my part, I won't give any client a single translated word unless it's paid. There is no other way for them to acknowledge that our work has value.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's probable I'll receive 10 connects for getting reached out. I have to admit that's a great change. 10/10.

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Jose Daniel M wrote:

I just got a message from a job I applied to and it basically requested me to translate a bit of work (3 products).

Simply flag it as inappropriate, select "client is asking for free work" and move on.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jose,

Could you share the details with me via PM so that our team can investigate this further and take proper actions? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members