🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to add additional terms to your profile
Page options
skipthedrive
Community Member

How to add additional terms to your profile

I want to make it known to clients that I fully intend on charging for time spent on emails, phone calls, research, etc. Perhaps this is obvious to some people, but I want it to be explicitly stated. I thought a while back there was a spot within my profile where I could add additional terms. How can I do this? This would apply to hourly projects only.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

You can simply add it to your overview but IMO it would be exceedingly difficult to articulate without coming across like a jerk. (Yes, clients who balk at paying for that kind of time on hourly contracts are being jerks but that doesn't mean it's useful to be pre-emptively jerk-y.)

Better to just make sure each client understands it upfront. Broaching a potentially awkward subject and making sure everyone leaves the conversation happily and on the same page is one of a FL's most important (and least talked-about) skills.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

You can simply add it to your overview but IMO it would be exceedingly difficult to articulate without coming across like a jerk. (Yes, clients who balk at paying for that kind of time on hourly contracts are being jerks but that doesn't mean it's useful to be pre-emptively jerk-y.)

Better to just make sure each client understands it upfront. Broaching a potentially awkward subject and making sure everyone leaves the conversation happily and on the same page is one of a FL's most important (and least talked-about) skills.

Of course I bill for all the time I spend working on the client's project. Of course that includes time spent communicating through email, phone calls, video conferencing, etc.

And no, I don't need to state this on my profile page.

But if you want to state this explicitly, I agree with Phyllis. The only place to do this is as part of your free form profile overview text.

Thanks. I actually spoke with the client about it and he was cool with it.

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members