cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to bring back money to my client?

Kate V Member Since: Oct 24, 2018
1 of 7

Hello guys, i had a contract for 55$ and 30 days.  Today my client told me that he needs to stop work that i do.  I worked just 13 days, we decided that i will take 30$ from that 55. He paid me for the Milestone and now we have 25$ remaining. What do i need to do to bring him back this money? I need to stop the contract or what? Please help. 

Ace Contributor
MHAMMED A Member Since: Mar 8, 2017
2 of 7

Hello Kate, hope you doing great !

I think, you should mension if the last milestone (with remaining $25) has been activated by your client or not. So you can get the best advice of what to do.
PS : Normally, when a milestone is activated, you get the notification on your chat window. This notif contains the Milestone number, and the amount assigned + agreements and description.

Good luck,

Kate V Member Since: Oct 24, 2018
3 of 7

Hello Mhammed and thank you for your reply! No, we had a budget 55$, he paid me 30$ for 1 milestone,  25$ left. We have not started new milestone and i want to know how i can help my client to get that money back to him (money that was held from his account ).

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 7

The client can close the contract. When he does, he will be able to ask for the funds held in escrow to be released. You will receive a message asking you to agree to the release of funds. 

Ace Contributor
5 of 7

My pleasure Kate.
I agree with tonya, after the close of the contract by your client, You will have a notification about a refund request concerning the remaining $25 (last milestone not completed). Then you just have to hit "accept refund".
However, I'm absolutely NOT sure how this procedure will affect your JSS. 
You can try to contact the support team, or ask the question here to get a better and precise advice about how this could be affecting your JSS before taking any decision.
Wish you good luck !

Ace Contributor
6 of 7

Here is a topic discussing about the JSS. It said : "A refund by itself has no impact on the JSS at all."
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Does-accepting-a-refund-affect-my-JSS/m-p/545314
So you can go-ahead, and accept the refund if requested by the client Smiley Wink

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 7

Hi Kate, 

Kathy is correct. When the contract is closed, you will be prompted to refund the funds remaining in escrow. I would like to clarify that this will not be taken from your Upwork account balance. Once you respond to the refund request, the money in escrow will be returned to the client's billing method.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS