🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to create a portfolio with no work saved ...
Page options
pavansriharsha
Community Member

How to create a portfolio with no work saved to showcase the skills?

I have one year of experience in proofreading which I did for my blog when I ran it. But it's offline now. I have no portfolio showcase my skills. Can anyone help me by guiding me on what to do? I am asking in every proposal to send me a sample so that I can prove I am a skilled proofreader. I feel like I got stuck in quicksand. I request you to help me by showing a way.

5 REPLIES 5
df602768
Community Member

Hi Pavan,

Your case is an interesting one. What you could do is search online for proofreading sample material. Search the samples that proofreaders use to apply to proofreading jobs. Locate them and then proofread them. Have one paragraph that says Original and another that says Proofread Text or something along those lines.

By the way, proofreaders use professional software, so it would be nice to mention the software you are using in your proposals. Also, do try to say what exactly it is that you do when proofreading text. I mean, do you improve word fluency, correct grammatical errors, alter the voice from conversational to professional?

-Konstantinos

petra_r
Community Member

Pavan S wrote:

I have one year of experience in proofreading which I did for my blog when I ran it. 

That's not exactly the same as a year or "real" proofreading experience, is it? You could write a few pieces and then proofread them with tracked changes. Those could serve as portfolio pieces.

The very first thing you need to proofread and edit is your profile...

Konstantinos A wrote:

By the way, proofreaders use professional software, so it would be nice to mention the software you are using in your proposals.

They do what?

df602768
Community Member

I meant proofreaders use Grammarly Premium and similar software. So, it would nice if he mentioned it in his proposals. 

Konstantinos A wrote:

I meant proofreaders use Grammarly Premium and similar software. So, it would nice if he mentioned it in his proposals. 

I would hope that professional proofreaders don't use Grammarly. I've been trying it out ever since Upwork added it to the proposals text box, and it makes at least 2-3 completely incorrect suggestions for every paragraph that I write.

Pavan, you will have a difficult time getting hired to proofread in English, since you aren't a native speaker and it's obvious from your profile that you don't have the ability to catch every mistake. Do you have any other skills that you can offer? 

petra_r
Community Member

Konstantinos A wrote:

I meant proofreaders use Grammarly Premium and similar software. 

No, they (proper proofreaders) don't.

As a client I would immediately discount any clown who suggested such a thing.

Konstantinos A wrote:

So, it would nice if he mentioned it in his proposals. 

Sure, if he wants to be rejected, why not?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members