cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine the going market rate for my skill

ronc0011
Ron C Member Since: Jan 17, 2015
1 of 11

I do work in a cross section  of markets, though mostly my focus is in the graphics market; digital and print. I am trying to determine the average hourly rate for my particular skill. 

What is the recommended method of finding the average rate of pay for a particular market or line of work?

karandrakis
Ace Contributor
Keri K Member Since: Jun 1, 2016
2 of 11

Google it.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 11

Doing a general web search, such as with Google, may be of limited help.

You really need to understand how Upwork works, and understand Upwork as a market, because if you post a profile here and compete here, that's who you're dealing with: other Upwork contractors and Upwork clients...

I think you should spend time searching for contractors as if you were a client interested in hiring somebody to do the skills you're marketing.

That way you can see what is really out there.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 11

@Preston H wrote:

Doing a general web search, such as with Google, may be of limited help.

You really need to understand how Upwork works, and understand Upwork as a market, because if you post a profile here and compete here, that's who you're dealing with: other Upwork contractors and Upwork clients...

I think you should spend time searching for contractors as if you were a client interested in hiring somebody to do the skills you're marketing.

That way you can see what is really out there.

Preston,

There are many reasons to look at one's competition on Upwork, from the point of view of a competitor and from that of a hypothetical client. Verifying the rates in one's field is not one of them. Rates on Upwork skew low for a variety of reasons, including among highly qualified contractors.

The majority of buyers on Upwork and the bulk of the money come from the US. Apart from rate tables published by professional organizations, the Bureau of Labor Statistics—which should come up pretty high in any Google search on professional compensation—provides a reliable benchmark for all legal forms of labor in the US market. That is the market we should be selling to. Those are the rates we should be commanding. Even for fields where accommodation to Upwork's deflated rates may arguably be needed, or prudent, there's no reason to begin there.

In my field at least, standard professional (US) rates are the ones I "really" get on Upwork—even from international clients.

Best,

Michael

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
5 of 11

If you've been in this field for 15 years, you should have an idea of your general rate.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 11

Google is really hard you guys.

anima9
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
7 of 11

Hundreds of thousands are now employed as tech support due to its difficulty. Specially in the Philippines and India.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 11

The Googles works in mysterious ways like the JSS. So mysterious and so wow.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 11

@Jennifer M wrote:

Google is really hard you guys.

In fairness, a Google search for rates in any given field will generally turn up wildly disparate figures with no obvious signals as to source or validity of figures given. 

ronc0011
Ron C Member Since: Jan 17, 2015
10 of 11

@Maria A wrote:

If you've been in this field for 15 years, you should have an idea of your general rate.

This is somewhat characteristic of the job landscape people such as myself are faced with. I first started using photoshop  version 4.0 on a a Windows 98 machine. I still remember conversations around the office discussing whether or not this internet thing would ever be anything important.

So the end result is that i've watched the job market undergo countless changes and in fact I can see now that it is going to be an ever changing landscape and the value of all our work is going to be

continuously eroded. Continuously morphing into different things.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS