🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to get a VAT ID number in Colombia?
Page options
852bfd3a
Community Member

How to get a VAT ID number in Colombia?

Hello, the last July Month I got a notification by UPwork in which I should provide an ID VAT TAX number of nine numbers. Despite of I have added my TIN number (Colombia NIT) in my case as natural individual I added my ID number.

And when I want add that same number into the space I read that the VAT ID is different to my NIT number.

I called to the DIAN but they said to me that they don't know what is an ID VAT, that I should ask to UPWORK. 

46 REPLIES 46

Hello, 

Is there any updates on this issue? 
Thank you! 

Hi Jessica,

I see that you've completed your Tax Information. Could you clarify if you need assistance with this?

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Jessica do you have any update about this issue? How do you completed the tax information? Thanks

Hello Andres, I was looking for an answer in this forum and no one replied, so I'll tell you what I did maybe this can help anyone reading.

I added my RUT number without the extra number, I just recieved an email from Upwork saying they verified my VAT ID, hope this helps

Hi Andres, 

I was also able to complete it. It seems Upwork updated the platform, and now the VAT ID slot can be filled with IDs ranging from 9 to 13 digits.

e8a5e469
Community Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm from Colombia and I have encountered the same issue as my fellow countrymen. I have tried to analyze the options presented in this forum. I believe the best course of action for those of us who are not obligated to declare VAT in our country is to select the option: "I don't have a VAT ID." This way, you can withdraw your money from the platform without any issues. However, please note that selecting this option may result in a new cost being incurred in our transactions, known as "VAT," which is 19% over the Upwork commission and membership fee (if applicable). Nevertheless, I believe this is a legitimate tax obligation that we must fulfill.

If you choose the option "I have a VAT ID" and input your RUT, you will need to select the additional option that the platform requires: "I am VAT responsible (as reflected in my RUT document) and will self-assess VAT on Upwork’s services." This option is likely intended for individuals who are required to declare VAT, so I think is not the option for us.

I am not an expert in tax matters, but it may be prudent to review your specific situation with a tax professional to avoid any potential issues in the future. 🙂

Regards

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members