cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would one verify if a job posting and offer is a scam?

jenny-nelson
Jennifer Ann N Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
1 of 22

There was this data entry position posted on 9/28 and I put in a "bid" for it.  I believe I asked for $10/hour.  They (it says it's a company called **Edited for Community Guidelines**) offered me an interview and told me to log into Google Hangouts to begin an interview process.  I did this, and completed the process, and they offered me the job and told me they'd pay me $18.41/hour.  This was more than I asked so I was surprised.  Then they said they would send me a check that I'd need to deposit so that I could order a program/material for my home office so I could work this job.  Today they contacted me on Google Hangouts and asked me to looke up a tracking number and let them know what day and time this delivery would be arriving at my house.  I thought this was strange becuase they could have just looked that up themselves, couldn't they?  I looked it up and it said it was actually delivered this morning.  The lady I've been communicating with, Sophia, said I need to deposit this check and then provide them with a picture of the deposit slip.  Something just seems so odd here.  Does UpWork verify clients/companies on here? 

vladag
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 22

Hi Jenny,

The check you received is fake and you shouldn't cache it! 

The job you submitted the proposal for and the client you are communicating with have been removed from Upwork. Please check the information I provided to a user in this thread, make sure not to accept payments outside Upwork and read the list of tips I've linked in my comment.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 22

Just to add - don't ever go by the name of the company when you are new.  The scammer used the names of very reputable companies and even use the names of real employees.

jenny-nelson
4 of 22

That's good to know because this company is a real company too.  I looked them up on the internet.  I thought things were funny when they offered me more money than I asked for (really, who does that), and then during our discussions on Google Hangout, I noticed may errors in spelling and in grammer on their end and that seemed odd and unprofessional to me (being that this was such a big company looking to hire people, one would think their interview skills would be better).

jenny-nelson
5 of 22

Thank you so much.  I haven't gotten a job on here yet, and I was excited about this one, but it seemed really fishy.

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
6 of 22

I find the best (or at least satisfying) way to deal with scammers (and telemarketers) is to "waste their time" ... one's most valuable and limited resource.

Pretend you did everything they wanted and "just don't understand why x or y hasn't happended yet ... better try z".

(Limiting your own involvement, of course).

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 22

re: "Does UpWork verify clients/companies on here?"

No.

m_roganovic
Community Leader
Marina R Member Since: Sep 30, 2016
8 of 22

But why not? 

There are a lot of freelancers on this site and many who are just starting. 

Many who are trusting. 

I've had some strange encounters. 

Why don't they get checked? 

One thing that scares the scamy clients is to ask them where they are incorporated. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 22

@Marina R wrote:

But why not? 

Because it would radically increase their costs of operation and drive away many legitimate clients.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 22

@Preston H wrote:

re: "Does UpWork verify clients/companies on here?"

No.

That isn't actually true.

Actual clients (rather than "potential clients") are indeed verified via their payment method. The details (address / phone number etc) of the card holder must match the records on file.

Additional checks are made, including full ID verification processes where appropriate.

So to say that clients are not verified is untrue and an unfortunate basis for the whole conversation that followed from that premise.

What is indeed NOT automatically verified is "people who post jobs" at the stage where they post jobs.

But CLIENTS (a job-poster / potential client becomes an actual client once they hire someone which requires a valid and verified payment method having been put on file and that payment method having been checked for validity and for being able to be charged) are verified to a degree, which will be higher or lower depending on risk.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS