🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I am Desperate!
Page options
269a40d9
Community Member

I am Desperate!

Hi Freelancers,

I hope you are great!

I am bidding on Upwork for the last four months but have not gotten any projects yet. Can anyone help me with this? If anyone can help I would be grateful. If anyone has time and can guide me. Your cooperation will be highly appreciated. I am sharing my detail, please assist me in this trouble. Thank you!

I have expertise in Keyword Research, On-Page/Off-Page SEO, Link Building/Outreach, Local SEO/Citation as well as GMB Listing.

Profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01f814b29cc22f9999?viewMode=1 

Regards,

Lal Jaan

Lal Jaan
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It means nothing if a client sends you a message saying that you're hired. If they haven't sent you a proper offer and funded the first milestone, it means that you're not hired. Move on and look for other clients.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
759e32fa

Hi Lal,

Thank you for reaching out. I understand that you need help in getting projects. I checked you profile and would love to suggest a few things that might help you improve your profile.

"I hope I would help you with something" - You may want to be specific about what you can help the clients with.

I noticed that you've sent many proposals. This is good. It means you're putting yourself out there and this increases your chance of getting noticed by clients. I would highly recommend for you to review this article on how to write proposals that win jobs. Remember that you get once chance to send proposals to job posts. Make them count.

Lastly, you may also want to consider upskilling and learning new skills to increase your marketability. Competition is getting tough not only in Upwork but also on other platforms, especially since most people nowadays opt to work remotely. One possible reason might be also the fewer demands for jobs that fall under your selected skill set. You can also revisit the skills you have selected in your profile, only if applicable.

Here are other helpful articles that you may find useful:
•  9 Tips to Help You Create a Freelancer Profile That Stands Out | Upwork
• 15 Ways to Grow Your Freelance Business

I hope this helps.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie,

Good day!!

What should someone do in the attached scenario? When the client approves you to join their team for the subjected project. Plz find the attached link for ref.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/user-id/18262071

Lal Jaan

It means nothing if a client sends you a message saying that you're hired. If they haven't sent you a proper offer and funded the first milestone, it means that you're not hired. Move on and look for other clients.

I think you are right. it time to move forward and for other projects. Could you please rate my profile it would be great if suggest some improvements to secure more projects? Prompt action will be highly appreciated. 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01f814b29cc22f9999 

Lal Jaan

I signed up for a premium freelancer account.  I also have a client account. When I go request help on my client account I am rejected saying I'm not authorities for help. Further, when I try to bud on a project I am tools I need connects. I ell inhave cknnects. I'll buy more. This is crazy and j need help!!  And it's so frustrating. I paid. I don't expect Mira les but this is nuts. Mark

Hi Mark,

I see that you've communicated with the team about your concern and a a couple of support tickets have been raised. Kindly allow our team time and you will surely get an update on one of your tickets here once your case is thoroughly reviewed. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
9c8f0515
Community Member

Sorry to hear that. All I can say is welcome to upwork. The clients are finicky and the talent pool is vast so you are going up against a lot of other freelancers for the same jobs.

I do audio editing and I may get 1 out of every 100 jobs I apply for. This is not uncommon to many fields. 

grendon
Community Member

Chris B wrote:

Sorry to hear that. All I can say is welcome to upwork. The clients are finicky and the talent pool is vast so you are going up against a lot of other freelancers for the same jobs.

Yeah, and not only going against a lot of other freelancers for the same job, but also many freelancers that are willing to get paid pennies, so that makes competition even harder. 

9c8f0515
Community Member

Exactly. And now freelancers that are sending in 3 or 4 times the amount of connects since we can see them now. I have jobs that are 3 connects and people sending in 12-15 connects. 

Upwork is really good at getting us to compete with each other and now will be spending even more if you want to keep up in connect submissions.

ashokmehta999
Community Member

Here are a few suggestions that helped me get my first job on Upwork:

1. Your cover letter is everything. Your client will read your cover letter first, and see your portfolio later. Keep it short. No more than 4-6 sentences. Go through the client's history to see if someone has mentioned their name while writing reviews. If yes, mention their name within the first two words, followed by a rhetorical question. In the next sentences, give a to-the-point explanation of how you can help them. For eg., a)I have worked with a client extremely similar to you. b)I have driven x results in x time/amount.

2. Only apply to jobs that:

a)Have payment verified.

b) Have mentioned a specific rate for their job.
c) Have given an in-depth explanation about the work profile, the brand name/website/product/industry.
My experience is that a lot of newcomers make job postings on Upwork to never followup with them. If there is verified client with payment history, they are far more likely to hire you if you're the right fit. Do not apply to jobs where the client has not mentioned any hourly rate or fixed price. Clients mostly do it when they do not have clarity about how much a particular project/task is worth. 9 times of 10, they wont followup or hire someone. It is not necessary, but the likelihood of being hired by someone new on Upwork is lesser compared to those who are payment verified.

A job posting by client should have 2 things: a)clear explanation of the work profile b) mention of the product/service/brand name. If they've given an in-depth explanation, it is a sign they're invested in finding a good freelancer. Of course, its not always true but it is true most of the times.

3. Start off with a very low hourly rate. 7$ is a lot for a newcomer. My suggestion would be to work on small projects, at a 3-4$ rate, and then increase it as you get more projects. Or, apply to small-value, fixed-price jobs. 

The important goal of Upwork is to get the first review. After that, it is much easier to get better jobs.

Wish you luck

Rates should be set for the level of skill. Bidding low amounts makes the freelancer look unskilled and desperate. The difference between jobs for $7.00 and $3.00 an hour is insignificant in terms of hiring.

If the skills are there, $7.00 an hour is not too much.

Apply for jobs you can complete successfully.

Once again, verified payment means absolutely nothing. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

I do not know which work profile you're speaking for but it is a different scenario for SEO. Most of the SEO jobs are for mid to long-term, usually at least 6 months. That is why, clients prefer to hire someone experienced instead of experimenting with a new freelancer with 0 reviews. Some of the projects, like setting up a few things here and there like Google Search Console could be scored for 3-4$ an hour. The aim really is to secure that first project. 7$ is not bad either although reducing rates could be an option to consider when someone new is not getting a job.

As for verified payments, I disagree. Accounts with verified payments make a HUGE difference. Maybe, you haven't paid attention to it yet. Send 100 proposals to clients with verified payments and then send 100 proposals to clients that are not payment verified. The % of people who will respond to a proposal will be higher for payment-verified clients.

I stand by my statement for this individual.

I have applied to plenty of unverified jobs and have some great clients and even long-term jobs. More importantly, if you look only at verified payment, you will get scammed because it literally means nothing. What does it mean? It means the business, Upwork, runs three tiny reversible charges to "verify" the card is valid. However, stolen cards rarely show up at the bank immediately. In the meantime, the thief uses the card number and runs up a giant bill. Then the card is reported stolen and the money disappears. By that time, the scammer has already received what they wanted, and they too disappear.

Most of the clients posting jobs in writing since January do not hire anyone.

Getting that first project is important. However, dumping rates and acting desperate for your first job is a terrible way to get started. The next person is going to want the same dirt cheap rate. How do you explain that? I was desperate and unskilled, but now I'm much better?

I think you have not read my comment properly. I have clearly mentioned that it doesn't apply to all cases. I too have gotten work from clients with unverified payments. 

Regarding stolen cards, sure. It could be true. But I think most people are smart enough to realize something is fishy. For example, being asked to do SEO for some shady and spammy websites is a red flag. If the client is unwilling to fund a milestone but asks you to start the work, it is a red flag. The % of scammers with verified payments is tiny compared to people who are genuine.

Where have I mentioned that verified accounts are the only determinant? I have mentioned multiple pointers that are important for getting the first job. ALL the factors together matter, including payment-verified accounts. 

What you're not considering here is that it takes money to send a proposal. Each connect is worth 0.15$. He's passed 4 months spending money of his own trying to get a job. Here, what is a better bet? To send proposals where there is a higher opening rate, or where there is a lower opening rate? I can't speak for others but I was and always will be thoughtful about where my connects are being spent. I have spent a lot of time and energy sending proposals and I would make my bet at places that give me the best possible outcome for my money and effort. It is not a question about whether unverified accounts are genuine or not.

Being a new freelancer who has not secured a job and is desperate for it, It is important that he places his bet on things with the best possible outcomes.

Acting desperate and offering dirt cheap rates is a sure way to be taken advantage of and get scammed. If they have the skills, charge an acceptable rate. As I asked earlier, what do you tell the next client? I have one job, and now I'm more skilled, so, I upped my rates?

I applied to payment verified and to payment not verified. I did not notice that the first group was more likely to hire than the latter.

Do not apply to jobs where the client has not mentioned any hourly rate or fixed price. Clients mostly do it when they do not have clarity about how much a particular project/task is worth.

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. Usually I don't like a client setting my rates. They could have a ball park idea about how much they paid before if they have, but, only me knows how much my work is worth. I can negotiate and come to an agreement, sure,  but I wouldn't let a client decide how much they'll pay for my services, especially when their amount doesn't quite align with my rates.  And definitely it wouldn't drive me away if a client doesn't know how much to pay for a service. I would gladly show them, so other people wouldn't take advantage of that. 

What I am talking about here is adding an hourly/fixed-price amount in the job posting. Not about how much your work itself is worth. That, of course, we have the power to dictate according to our skills and experience.

I think you are not considering all the aspects here. The freelancer hasn't secured a job in 4 months. He is desperate for a job. You could guide a client about the value of a work/project, but when? When you have the work history or client feedback to dictate it. The freelancer doesn't have any of that.

Hi Ashok,

Good Day!! What should I do? when one client hired you and confirms on Upwork that you are part of our team now, you are approved to join our team. 

literally, I am fed up, now he is not responding to my messages. When he hired me and one other employee then why he is not starting this project? it has been two-month past

I am attaching some snapshots and subject job post link. plz have a look

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01029d36cd7c6cf86b/ 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Lal Jaan

A lot of clients ghost freelancers when they don't need them anymore. As long as they funded the milestone, you can submit work to receive payment for the contract. That should trigger the client to respond. If the client still doesn't respond, you will at least get paid.

If the client did not fund the milestone, I would end the contract myself and leave feedback about the frustrating experience.

debi-f
Community Member

The same is happening in other fields. I think that the presence of many scammers, clients with unverified payment methods and Upwork Team doing nothing about it, is unfortunate. 

I think that Upwork is not taking care, is leaving us, the freelancers, quite alone (even we pay high fees). 

After many years working here, I'm starting to search other sites to find jobs. 

I'd prefer to continue in Upwork, in fact I search for jobs every day, but the situation should be solved by the Upwork responsible teams. I hope they will do it!    

42e11c7c
Community Member

Please I need help on how to write acceptable cover letter

269a40d9
Community Member

I think you are right. it time to move forward and for other projects. Could you please rate my profile it would be great if suggest some improvements to secure more projects? Prompt action will be highly appreciated. 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01f814b29cc22f9999 

Lal Jaan
visualization23
Community Member

Sorry to hear that Lal, 

I would suggest you to -

1. Decrease the price/hourly rate of what you are demanding.

2. Try to get the place 1-3rd of the applicants

3. apply only to entry level jobs.

4. Use portfolio in the attachment

5. Apply those jobs where clients ask for the test job or sample work. 

Hope this helps

9f7d05d2
Community Member

lucioric
Community Member

Sad to hear that.**Edited for Community Guidelines**, I am in the same position, applying to projects and project, and yikes the clients seem not to even read my proposals, and me with bills to pay.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members