cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Losing Hope

Highlighted
Cedrick V Member Since: Jan 4, 2018
1 of 30

I know this sounds absurd, I just have to open this up. When I began working and looking for jobs here in Upwork I kept in mind that I just have to be consistent when it comes to seeking for a job that matches my skill set, that there are just a lot of people to compete with and you just got to be your best and show that you are unique.

But this past few days, I feel like there is really something wrong that is going on.  Connects aren't free anymore, and some jobs cost like 6 connects that makes it so hard and you just got to look for something that is worth it for your proposal.

I feel like this isn't about skills anymore, it's luck. You will see a job post with 20 - 50 proposal sent to the client and all you'll see is that they are sending invites and ignoring the other proposals. That is actually something that looks like freelancers are wasting connects and time to respond to several questions for the proposal.

It would be better if Upwork actually separates clients that are only for invites and clients that are only seeking for proposals. Like what's the point of 20- 50 freelancers sending proposals and trying to get in there just to see that the client sent invites and it's visible there if an invite was answered. What is going on?

Connects aren't free, freelancers like me are actually paying for it and it's just so unfair that you let the client send invites while 20 - 50 freelancers are there in line waiting. This should be two different things.  Clients that are for invites only and clients that aren't and just for proposals. I understand that even if you're invited for a job you still need to send proposals as every freelancer does. Please think about the freelancers who are there waiting just to see that the client was there only for invites. What will happen to those unread proposals? I think that you should also put an option on how many proposals a client can handle so there will be no wasted connects that is actually paid in the first place.

I know the chances of this message getting up there is just 15/85 and I feel lame by just doing this. I can't handle my frustrations anymore and I'm losing hope.  15 proposals and each one cost 6 connects. I'm a loser.

Dear universe, please hear me out.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lexidh S Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
2 of 30

I totally agree with you, they should be able to get the option of only picking freelancers to invite, or put it out to the crowd to apply for. It wastes everyones time, and our money, the way it is now. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
3 of 30

Job postings that are invite only will never show up in your feed. The jobs you see are therefore from people expecting proposals, and some of them might invite freelancers, or not. If you are invited, you don't need connects. 

Not from the universe, but I hope I could clarify some of your misconceptions. 

Highlighted
Cedrick V Member Since: Jan 4, 2018
4 of 30

I know that if you're invited you do not need connects I totally understand that. There are still clients posting for a job open for freelancer and then there you'll see invites. 

• Proposals:  20 to 50 (Can you see how many connects are wasted here?)
  • Last viewed by client:  2 days ago
  • Interviewing: 1 (What are the odds that this was from those 20-50 proposals) 
  • Invites sent: 7 - (Be fair for freelancers who pays for connects, if a client wants to send only invites why not go to that option.)
  • Unanswered invites: 3

People are paying connects to send proposals, and there should be a separate option for clients who just send invites that. Not everyone can have an opportunity to be invited but maybe give other freelancers a chance for their proposals to be read. 

And have an option for the clients to set a number of proposals that they can handle, connects aren't free.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 30

Cedrick V wrote:

I know that if you're invited you do not need connects I totally understand that. There are still clients posting for a job open for freelancer and then there you'll see invites. 

• Proposals:  20 to 50 (Can you see how many connects are wasted here?)
  • Last viewed by client:  2 days ago
  • Interviewing: 1 (What are the odds that this was from those 20-50 proposals) 
  • Invites sent: 7 - (Be fair for freelancers who pays for connects, if a client wants to send only invites why not go to that option.)
  • Unanswered invites: 3

People are paying connects to send proposals, and there should be a separate option for clients who just send invites that. Not everyone can have an opportunity to be invited but maybe give other freelancers a chance for their proposals to be read. 

And have an option for the clients to set a number of proposals that they can handle, connects aren't free.

If you feel that you don't have a chance to land a job when the client has invited freelancers, then don't apply for those. 

If the client sends invites after they have posted the job and you've submitted an application, then it is probably because they don't want to hire you. They are sending invites in hopes of getting better candidates after having given you and other freelancers a chance.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 30

Martina P wrote:

Job postings that are invite only will never show up in your feed. The jobs you see are therefore from people expecting proposals, and some of them might invite freelancers, or not. If you are invited, you don't need connects. 

Not from the universe, but I hope I could clarify some of your misconceptions. 

This. I usually don't post jobs publicly and just do invite-only. 

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
7 of 30
This topic is being posted over and over and over.

We all have a choice. Stay and see how it works out for us individually for 3 to 6 months, or leave.

Putting all your eggs into one place is a business killer. Diversify your business and ride it out, or find a place that works better for your business.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 30

Cairenn R wrote:
This topic is being posted over and over and over.

I'm super confused. You've posted twice in the same thread pointing out that this topic has been posted over and over again. I'm not saying you're wrong--obviously none of us catches every thread--but in 2.5 years on this platform this is the first time I've ever seen someone suggest forcing clients to choose between open bidding and invitations. 

Highlighted
9 of 30
Keep your eyes on your own paper, Tiff.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
10 of 30

Cedrick V wrote:

. This should be two different things.  Clients that are for invites only and clients that aren't and just for proposals. I understand that even if you're invited for a job you still need to send proposals as every freelancer does.

Dear universe, please hear me out.

Well, here's my suggestion, which builds out of the frustration that gave rise to your suggestion.

The number of invites client has sent should update in real-time. This is not the case presently; it updates after a few hours. Which is not helpful when trying to know which gig is worth your connects and which isn't. But I don't think making invites versus no invites mutually exclusive will be particularly helpful. What if nobody applies to the client's job?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS