🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I'm a bit concerned about something.
Page options
kooshesh
Community Member

I'm a bit concerned about something.

So we all know how we are supposed to keep our professionalism in the face of adversity.

We all also know about the war going on in the Middle East. While I don't support the crimes either side has committed, I do feel for the innocent people on both sides.  However, not everyone shares this ambivalent view. One of my recent clients was Israeli, and when the conflict became intense in the Middle East, they called me a slur. "Iranian nword" via a data set they gave me. It's a very subtle method of insulting. You look at the first two lines and see they can also say "dataset random."

Yes, what a random 10 records you handed me.

I kept my composure and finished my projects for them. I refused any new work, however. I made sure they understood all the projects and then ended the contract.

The problem is the person who does the assessments for Upwork, a company named Vervoe, is also run by a similar gentleman. I can not simply "close the project and move on" if he holds the same racial views and given the hate I have seen online -- it's quite possible.

Upwork has a substantial and thriving Middle Eastern population. Like many others, I am not engaged in these politics. I did not care about my client's race or country; I only cared about completing the task to the best of my ability.

However, how can Upwork protect me from those who are those who seek to use their positions, such as the assessment company Upwork uses, to do more than slur?

If one client felt so free to slur me, how can we trust this other company?

1 REPLY 1
NikolaS

Hi Sterling,

I am sorry to hear about this. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the client you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and escalate it accordingly.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members