🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I think Clients are purposely declining propo...
Page options
kaliya_nikole
Community Member

I think Clients are purposely declining proposals! Knowing there job violates terms.

Clients with these scam jobs bait many freelancers into applying knowing that the job is going to be flagged and violate terms.

I apply not knowing and then boom I get an email saying the job violates terms.

I check my Upwork notifications and get a message saying my proposal was declined.

Was the proposal declined due to the job violations or did the client decline it?

If the client declined it, are they one a declining spree stealing our connects? Because we don't get those connects back if the client declines.

So far I've lost so much money (connects) because of these scam jobs.

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Danielle,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and it looks like the job has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Also, I checked and the connects you used for sending a proposal for this project were refunded to you already. This you can check under your Connects History.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
a_lipsey
Community Member

How do you know the job was a scam, simply because you were declined? 

Amanda L wrote:

How do you know the job was a scam, simply because you were declined? 

I get an email saying the job violates upworks terms of service and is being removed.

I see. I apologize I missed that part. Best thing to do would be open a ticket with CS and ask them to sort it out to get your connects back. It may be the timing? Perhaps the client declined first, but then it was removed for TOS violation? So it didn't recognize that you were due your connects back. Regardless of before or after, you should get your connects back if it violated TOS. 

Amanda L wrote:

I see. I apologize I missed that part. Best thing to do would be open a ticket with CS and ask them to sort it out to get your connects back. It may be the timing? Perhaps the client declined first, but then it was removed for TOS violation? So it didn't recognize that you were due your connects back. Regardless of before or after, you should get your connects back if it violated TOS. 

Thanks for clarifying.

I get an email saying that the job violates the tems of service and has been removed.

If the job violates the TOS and is removed by Upwork you will get your connects back 

James S wrote:

If the job violates the TOS and is removed by Upwork you will get your connects back 

Okay. Thanks for clarifying.

I've noticed several postings in recent days that look suspicious. They claim to be looking for editors, list a good pay rate, but their post is full of errors. This makes me think the job is not legitimate, and I don't apply. Look for the written equivalent of choppy English, inapprorpriate capitalization "We are opening a New Branch" starting sentences with lowercase words), basic misspellings ("United State"). That might be a clue that it's a scam. And, of course they always need multiple people.

Good luck. 

Bettye U wrote:

Look for the written equivalent of choppy English, inapprorpriate capitalization "We are opening a New Branch" starting sentences with lowercase words), basic misspellings ("United State"). That might be a clue that it's a scam.

It might also be a hint as to why they need an editor...

Bettye U wrote:

I've noticed several postings in recent days that look suspicious. They claim to be looking for editors, list a good pay rate, but their post is full of errors. This makes me think the job is not legitimate, and I don't apply. Look for the written equivalent of choppy English, inapprorpriate capitalization "We are opening a New Branch" starting sentences with lowercase words), basic misspellings ("United State"). That might be a clue that it's a scam. And, of course they always need multiple people.

Good luck. 

Thank you Bettye. I have begun to see the patterns though it is taking me awhile because some are so detailed in there job decription. I've even begun to flag posting that have the same write-up as the job I applied for and violated TOS.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Danielle S wrote:
Clients with these scam jobs bait many freelancers into applying knowing that the job is going to be flagged and violate terms.

I apply not knowing and then boom I get an email saying the job violates terms.

I check my Upwork notifications and get a message saying my proposal was declined.

Was the proposal declined due to the job violations or did the client decline it?

If the client declined it, are they one a declining spree stealing our connects? Because we don't get those connects back if the client declines.

So far I've lost so much money (connects) because of these scam jobs.

How would a client profit from "stealing" your connects?

Martina P wrote:

There are shaddy people here. Just look their posting scam jobs. All I want to know is if the client declines my proposal knowing that their job is a scam and will get flagged and removed, do I lose those connects or do I get them back.

The amount of scam jobs is unbelievable.

Hi Danielle,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and it looks like the job has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Also, I checked and the connects you used for sending a proposal for this project were refunded to you already. This you can check under your Connects History.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Danielle,

Thank you!

Thanks so much Bojan! This is the info I needed. I didn't know how to check the connects history. Great!

Danielle S wrote:

Martina P wrote:

There are shaddy people here. Just look their posting scam jobs. All I want to know is if the client declines my proposal knowing that their job is a scam and will get flagged and removed, do I lose those connects or do I get them back.

The amount of scam jobs is unbelievable.

When Upwork cancels a job to which you have applied because it violates the TOS, you will receive a message saying the client "declined" you. The reality is that the client's job has been removed from the system. The messaging is inaccurate. 🙄 You get used to it after a while. 

Tonya P wrote:

When Upwork cancels a job to which you have applied because it violates the TOS, you will receive a message saying the client "declined" you. The reality is that the client's job has been removed from the system. The messaging is inaccurate. 🙄 You get used to it after a while. 

Wait a minute. That means Upwork are lying? When the job is cancelled because of a ToS violation we are supposed to receive connects back, but I have received that message you say more than once and was not reimbursed... On the other hand I was reimbursed a couple times and did not receive any "proposal declined" notice. What is going on?

Sergio S wrote:

Tonya P wrote:

Wait a minute. That means Upwork are lying? When the job is cancelled because of a ToS violation we are supposed to receive connects back, but I have received that message you say more than once and was not reimbursed... On the other hand I was reimbursed a couple times and did not receive any "proposal declined" notice. What is going on?

Not every message that uses the word "declined" refers to a TOS violation. You will also receive a "declined" message when a client declines your proposal. They are two different messages which both, unfortunately, use a form of the word "declined." Or I could be totally wrong. If it really matters, I suppose you could track every single connections transaction and trace it back to the emails you receive. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members