cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think it's really awesome that you can hire someone, then suspend the contract, so they can't char

ameshkin69

A great place for people who need someone to work for $3 an your or ZERO an hour!  

A horrible place for freelancers trying to make a living.

6 REPLIES 6
tlsanders
Community Guru

I'm sorry you're having bad luck. There are quite a lot of freelancers here who are doing quite well, so it might be in your best interests to ask some questions about what you might be doing wrong and get some tips on what's working for other people rather than blaming the platform.

I love the platform. It's the companies and people using it.

I think there are a few things that can be done to improve that.  And I have suggested them.

@Amir M wrote:

I love the platform. It's the companies and people using it.

I think there are a few things that can be done to improve that.  And I have suggested them.

Yes, there definitely are things that could/should be improved.

Still, it's very possible to use this site profitably. 

gerrys
Community Guru

There is no free lunch.

paula-spagnuolo
Ace Contributor

'Doing well' is of course relative to your overhead/cost of living. In my experience the caliber of projects posted is not nearly as good here as it was on Elance but I am living in an expensive part of the U.S. and have 25+ years experience which plays a part in what I can/will accept. Though I imagine its possible I would never count on any one online platform (or client for that matter) for all or the majority of my income. You ultimatley have no control, they can be bought out, go under or radically change the terms at any time so that is far too risky if you rely on the income for your survival.

Paula, I definitely agree on not putting all of your eggs in one basket. I was freelancing for many years, and Upwork is the first such platform I've used, so it makes up a small part of my client roster. But, it doesn't seem that it would have to be that way. My rates are slightly lower than yours, but in the few months that I've been active on the site I've repeatedly had to either set my status to unavailable or decline work. I have two repeat Upwork clients right now who are waiting for me to have time take on new projects. I know there are a lot of garbage jobs, but I'm always very surprised to hear people suggest that there aren't a lot of good ones.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS