cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS THIS A SCAM?? GOOGLE HANGOUT INTERVIEWs

d1trance
Active

Wondering if these people are part of a scam?? I am new here on Upwork and have been contacted by two companies that proposed that they were interested in interviewing me. At first I was all happy that I was hired and would be working and earning money to pay for classes at my school but then I had a second interview and this interview was almost the same as the other (same questions, almost the same programs needed for job) and this is when I started getting suspicious. I do not know who to contact at Upwork in order to ask questions about these two companies.

Here is the proposal for interview message sent to me:

These proposals are for work as a bookkeeper, data-entry, administrative assistant. I received 2 proposaals yesterday 4/11/2016 and was asked for an interview. This is the message that I was sent. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

So...yesterday I had the first interview and then on the second interview I saw that both were almost the same. After about an hour interview with **Edited for Community Guidelines** (the first interview) who works for a company (**) and gave me the website address. I found the website legitimate and continued with the interview. After the interview I was told I was hired and that I needed some supplies for my home office. I was informed about benefits, pay rate and hours and duties required for the job. I was told I need these:

IBM Notepad laptop,

BS 1 Accounting software ,

MYOB business essentials software ,

Peach Tree Software ( US Patent Single Users Pack ),

simply accounting .

Microsoft Office Accounting,

Sirius GT Accounting For Windows X window time tracker ,

for my home office and that I would be provided a check in the next day for me to cash for the purchase of the supplies. This is where I started getting suspicious. I do not know who to report this to or ask questions pertaining to these companies who offered me a job.

IS THIS A SCAM????

I really need this job and now I think I am stuck still looking. Woman Sad

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
suznee
Community Guru

Any job that asks you to purchase things and that they will send you a check is a scam. Many are doing interviews on Yahoo. Stay Away. Run as fast as you can...

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173

@Jodi-Ann W wrote:

Today I received an invitation for an interview via google hangout. After the interview I was told I was hired and that I needed some supplies for my home office. I was also told that they will send me a check to purchase the accounting sotfware from a vendor of the company's choice.

I really needed this job to gain more experience in the accounting field as I am transitioning into my future career.

Is this really a scam???

Don't even think about it. It is a mega scam. You will end up much poorer than you are. You will get suspended from Upwork, because working away from Upwork is against the ToS, and your bank will have a few things to say to you when the check bounces. Run!

But read these essential help pages, where you will see how to avoid scams and what to look out for:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

@Jodi-Ann W wrote:

Today I received an invitation for an interview via google hangout.

All scammers use Google hangout

After the interview I was told I was hired

You were just told. Did you receive an "official" contract on Upwork (under the my jobs section.)

and that I needed some supplies for my home office.

If you didn't already have the supplies you'll need as a freelancer, then (sorry to be harsh) you wouldn't be on this site looking for work on the internet.

I was also told that they will send me a check to purchase the accounting sotfware from a vendor of the company's choice.

First of all, why would you be forced to purchase the software/supplies from the company's choice. There is no company choice.

Next, are you really going to trust a Stranger on the Internet, who's probably living half way around the world to send you a "good" check>? Besides, taking payment off site or conducting financial transactions off site is a cause to get your account suspended. ALL financial transactions must take place on this site.

I really needed this job to gain more experience in the accounting field as I am transitioning into my future career.

You are competing against hundeds of other freelancers, worldwide who already have years of experience in the accounting field. This is not the place to gain more experience or to use to learn accounting because that's the career you want to transition into. I'm not saying that you might be fantastic at accounting, and will be able to get loads of jobs, but it will be much harder to accomplish.

Is this really a scam???

Do  you really have to ask?

Hi Jodi-Ann,

The client account you are referring to has already been closed as inappropriate. Please stop communicating with them and review advice and links that Nichola and Kathy provided in their posts.

~ Valeria
Upwork
lmomaine
Active

I had this same thing happen. Then I went to LinkedIn and checked for the person who the interviewer claimed to be. It looked like a legitimate offer, until I noted that she was using this person's name but also using a gmail account. That flagged me to look into the situation further, by contacting the REAL person. She said she has been used by someone unethically and she apologized. She doesn't know how to make it stop. The company claimed to be 

Hi Linda,

I'm going to follow up with the team about the job you are referring to. They will review and take necessary actions. I also encourage you to check this post for more tips and suggestions about how to avoid questionable jobs. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Everyone - please check https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/bd-p/New_to_Upwork for information on all manner of questions and other concerns, worries, etc. you might have.

lgurrea
Active
I too have been approached of scammers here on Upwork. I become suspicious of long chat interviews (no voice or calls), when I am asked to send my resume, paid outside of Upwork and especially when I am asked to send my ID. That is when my antenna tells me something is wrong. Legit or interested clients do not have time to chat. They are busy. They schedule interviews on Skype (with video) or they ask to call you or you to call them at their office. A 10-15 minute interview is all it takes for them to decide if they hire you or have you on their short list. Recently, I have changed my style of applying for projects. I now apply to jobs that are verified. I do not apply to suggested jobs or interesting ones as suggested by Upwork IF they are not verified. I wonder why Upwork suggests jobs that are not verified? I stay on Upwork because I am protected. Good luck everyone!
lgurrea
Active

I too have been approached of scammers here on Upwork. I become suspicious of long chat interviews (no voice or calls), when I am asked to send my resume, paid outside of Upwork and especially when I am asked to send my ID. That is when my antenna tells me something is wrong. Legit or interested clients do not have time to chat. They are busy. They schedule interviews on Skype (with video) or they ask to call you or you to call them at their office. A 10-15 minute interview is all it takes for them to decide if they hire you or have you on their short list. Recently, I have changed my style of applying for projects. I now apply to jobs that are verified. I do not apply to suggested jobs or interesting ones as suggested by Upwork IF they are not verified. I wonder why Upwork suggests jobs that are not verified? I stay on Upwork because I am protected. Good luck everyone!

Louella wrote:

"I too have been approached of scammers here on Upwork. I become suspicious of long chat interviews (no voice or calls), when I am asked to send my resume, paid outside of Upwork and especially when I am asked to send my resume, paid outside of Upwork and especially when I am asked to send my ID. That is when my antenna tells me something is wrong."

Your antennae should twitch "especially" when a client asks you to work off-site, which is a serious violation of Upwork's ToS and which could result in your account being suspended.

Thank you for the reminder. I am very aware of that. But the payment proposal usually comes at the end part of the interview with the other "requirements" needed to be hired.

j_paytas
Active

Dora - thanks for taking the time to write out your situation -- I started to write nearly the same and then saw yours.  I am just so annoyed that I fell for this -- but your post helped me confirm that.  Best to you!

arnabroy30
Ace Contributor

Most of the clients prefer to interview on skype. Is there anything wrong?

Hi Arnab,

Clients and freelancer can use Skype to communicate. That said, Upwork offers voice/video calls in the Messages and we always recommend documenting main terms and agreements on Upwork. All payments need to be made on Upwork as well.

~ Valeria
Upwork
carleyb63
Active

Ugh I have had about 5 of these. It is very discouraging and annoying if you ask me. The best thing to do is as them to provide a contract via Upwork. I've realized that once that has happened they block me lol. Every interview through google hangouts has been verbatim almost robotic. Please run. I did have 1 successful contract and was paid through upwork. Everything was done legit with this contractor and I am happy to see that not all posts are scams! but be careful. The ones with google hangouts and @gmail.com addresses tend to be scam. 

lola-racheal
Active
I got sams format . Notice that the email addy you are asked to contact is never the company's domain . I stopped accepting interviews from unsolicited proposals . They pray on newbies

Hi Omolola,

I see you have already declined that invite and blocked the client. I'll forward this job to the team for review and they'll take appropriate actions.

~ Valeria
Upwork
lola-racheal
Active
Same ** prey***
ikeaih1
Active

I called **Edited for Community Guidelines** and they said the people change the company all the time.

denisaherman
Active

Hello Upwork Community,

I am pretty new here. I have received this message from someone:

Does this look suspicious to you?

Thank you,

Denisa

Yes Herman,  that looks suspicious to me...  Contacting you through upwork and mentioning Guru. then wanting to immediately talk to you by another channel.

Thank you, Karl! I thought so too (plus it is yahoo messenger which is sooo old fashioned). But I wanted to make sure I am not paranoid.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS