cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idea on Posting Scam Jobs

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 17

re: "Something needs to be done to alert newbies and those not familiar with scams."

I think that enhanced voluntary training (with incentives) will help reduce scam jobs.

Let's be clear that client training is NOT going to help here.

The people posting scam jobs already know all about how oDesk works. They are intentionally subverting the system. They know how the system works better than the contractors do, and better than non-scammer clients do.

Changing rules or policies won't help. Scammer clients are clients who, by definition, don't care about rules and policies.

Part of what can help stop scammers is better training for contractors. Not better training or more stringent rules for clients.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
12 of 17

@Preston H wrote:

re: "Something needs to be done to alert newbies and those not familiar with scams."

I think that enhanced voluntary training (with incentives) will help reduce scam jobs.

Let's be clear that client training is NOT going to help here.

The people posting scam jobs already know all about how oDesk works. They are intentionally subverting the system. They know how the system works better than the contractors do, and better than non-scammer clients do.

Changing rules or policies won't help. Scammer clients are clients who, by definition, don't care about rules and policies.

Part of what can help stop scammers is better training for contractors. Not better training or more stringent rules for clients.

Preston,

I actually agree with you here. Scam posters have no respect for anything so anything to do with clients is not going to solve the problem. But, as I suggested some kind of warning system for newbies, or the Best Idea would be for oDesk to monitor job postings just like they are doing with new freelancers.

It would make for a nicer community for all if oDesk would not allow jobs to be posted without a review. If they were reviewed it doesn't mean all scams wouldn't get through but far less would. There is specific things the old timers or someone who has been on the Internet a long time knows to look for, but not everyone does.

If they don't want to scare or post publically about all the scams then they need to take action to prevent them.

Robert O Member Since: Apr 4, 2015
13 of 17

If they don't want to scare or post publically about all the scams then they need to take action to prevent them.

Or at least do something when they're reported.  I flagged 3 jobs, all supposedly by different employers, but all sending the same email from 'kevin.' I also opened a help ticket.  They all remain open, and in fact looking at the "Other Open Jobs" for this scam artist, he's up to 15 that I know of.  No hires on any of them, of course.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 17

Hi Robert,

Thank you for reporting. The information you provided in your report has already been forwarded to the appropriate Team. It  will be reviewed and appropriate actions will be taken as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Chaitanya T Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
15 of 17

Monitoring is hard, with millions of users.

Edit: How to quote others' posts? I thought it'd do it automatically, but I guess it didn't.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 17

@Chaitanya T wrote:

Monitoring is hard, with millions of users.

Edit: How to quote others' posts? I thought it'd do it automatically, but I guess it didn't.

Hi Chaitanya. In order to quote the post you are replying to, please click "Quote" on the right side when writing your response.

Screenshot_1.png

Thank you for your participation. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Chaitanya T Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
17 of 17

Banning IP's is a harsh move, especially since static IP's are mostly not used(IP's of a user keep changing with each connection to the Internet). However a blacklist could get created, or accounts banned. But those will require hard proof.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS