🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Identifying Red Flags When Choosing Clients
Page options
chinikess
Community Member

Identifying Red Flags When Choosing Clients

About Me: I've been freelancing on Upwork for over a decade, and in that time, I've encountered a wide range of clients. Based on my experience, I want to share some advice with new freelancers on the platform about red flags to watch out for when deciding to work with a client. Please note, this is just my opinion from my experience on the platform.

Key Red Flags:

1. Bad Reviews: Referrals from other freelancers are incredibly important. Whenever I took a chance on a client with bad reviews, it came back to bite me. Always take bad reviews seriously as a major red flag. I also think that as Freelancers we owe it to ourselves to provide honest feedback to clients to ensure that both great and bad clients are identified to improve the general experience on the platform. 

2. Immediate Offers: Be cautious of clients who want to issue an offer immediately without discussing their project and their expectations. This often indicates a lack of clarity and could lead to misunderstandings down the line.

3. Camera-Shy Clients: Clients who decline to show their camera in the first call to discuss their project (except in rare cases of technical issues) might be bad at communicating their requirements. Good communication is key to a successful project.

4. Unclear Expectations: The initial discussion with the client is crucial to determine if they have a clear understanding of what they want from the task or role. If they can't articulate their expectations clearly, it's a red flag that they could be problematic to work with.

I hope these tips help you navigate the platform more effectively and choose clients who will lead to successful and fulfilling projects. Good luck!

0 REPLIES 0
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members