Did you mean: 

Identity Verification

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
71 of 266

@Ty J wrote:

Here's what the issue is with Upwork

While they claim that there is a verification process there actually is no such thing.

They claim to clients that they really care about security and safety of their clients and the freelancers are vetted in an intense manner, this is a complete lie.

I learned that the person we hired for our project wasnt even the person he claimed to be.

His name wasnt real,

qualifications were not real

and worst part, he took possession of our intellectual property.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

If my identity as a freelancer has not been verified, how come my earnings go straight to my bank account on a regular basis?  Are you saying that bank statements are not legal documents?  

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
72 of 266

Juvy Ann P wrote: If my identity as a freelancer has not been verified, how come my earnings go straight to my bank account on a regular basis?  Are you saying that bank statements are not legal documents?  

How is that in any way relevant??

Not every freelancer is ID verified.

Not every freelancer uses a bank account to withdraw.

No, bank statements are obviously not "legal documents" - they are simply bank statements. The fact that they may be used to confirm an address clearly does not make them "legal documents!"

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
73 of 266

@Petra R wrote:

Juvy Ann P wrote: If my identity as a freelancer has not been verified, how come my earnings go straight to my bank account on a regular basis?  Are you saying that bank statements are not legal documents?  

How is that in any way relevant??

Not every freelancer is ID verified.

Not every freelancer uses a bank account to withdraw.

No, bank statements are obviously not "legal documents" - they are simply bank statements. The fact that they may be used to confirm an address clearly does not make them "legal documents!"

I agree with your last statement.  I find it relevant, though, because in my country no one can open a bank account without going through the process of ID verification.  Many legal documents are required.  I am not claiming that every freelancer is ID verified.  I simply stated my personal truth.

c9880705
Ty J Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
74 of 266

Lawsuits coming - get out while you still can

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
75 of 266

@Ty J wrote:

Lawsuits coming -

You agreed to (among other things) the following:

Upwork makes no representations about, and does not guarantee the quality, safety, or legality of, the Freelancer Services; the truth or accuracy of Freelancer’s listings on the Site; the qualifications, background, or identities of Users; the ability of Freelancers to deliver the Freelancer Services;

Upwork is not required to and may not verify any feedback or information given to us by Freelancers or Clients, nor does Upwork perform background checks on Freelancers or Clients.

You hereby acknowledge and agree that Upwork may provide information on the Site about a Freelancer or Client, such as feedback, composite feedback, including a strength or risk score, geographical location, or verification of identity or credentials.  However, such information is based solely on data that Freelancers or Clients voluntarily submit to Upwork and does not constitute and will not be construed as an introduction, endorsement, or recommendation by Upwork; Upwork provides such information solely for the convenience of Users.

c9880705
76 of 266

This isnt true

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
77 of 266

Hi Ty,

The team will communicate with you and the freelancer directly and assist you with resolving the situation. They will reach out to you shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork
c9880705
78 of 266

Valeria,

I have already spoken with UpWork about this.   It's how I know what I'm saying here.

The only thing they offered was saying "I'm sorry" about the fact they connected me with a psycopath who's real identity differered from what he gave Upwork.

Upwork did not verify who he was.  His real name and creds were not verified to even the slightest degree.

They claim they do this.  They did not.   They are on tape confirming they dont actually do this.

This is called fraud

alekseyg1985
Aleksey A Member Since: Dec 7, 2016
79 of 266

I got message "Your name change request is under review. We are waiting for you to complete identity verification". Please send me link, where I will able to upload my id scan.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
80 of 266

Hi Aleksey,

I'm sorry about the delay, our team will share the link for uploading your documents with you soon.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS