🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » If I send an email or massage to a client out...
Page options
maniklsbd_jibon
Community Member

If I send an email or massage to a client outside of Upwork is that any problem?

If a client posts a job in Upwork and anyhow I know the client and his email address. before I apply for that job in Upwork if I send him an email/message directly and tell him to hire me. is that will be any problem with my account or is this violence of  Upwork TOS?

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Hafizur R wrote:

If a client posts a job in Upwork and anyhow I know the client and his email address. before I apply for that job in Upwork if I send him an email/message directly and tell him to hire me. is that will be any problem with my account or is this violence of  Upwork TOS?

How do you "know the client" and their email address?

You have to be a genius web researcher. then you can find anyone from this world.

Hafizur R wrote:

You have to be a genius web researcher. then you can find anyone from this world.

Clients often complain about **Edited for Community Guidelines** flooding them with spams and even phone calls begging for work after they have posted a job here.

Clients are advised to avoid disclosing any information in job posts that could help people **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

When Upwork manages to identify these **Edited for Community Guidelines**, they close their account for terms of service violation.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Thanks for your very important advice.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Hafizur R wrote:

Has the person hired you before on upwork? I'm thinking if he is a former but not current client, it might be ok, but I don't know that for a fact. 

no, without any hiring or before any contact.

That's incredibly unprofessional. If the client wanted direct contact with you at this stage then they would initiate that. No, it doesn't take a genius to find a prospective client's contact info, but it does take a professional to know it's unprofessional to contact them in a way they haven't requested. Ask your questions in your proposal to them. And yes, it's a violation of TOS.

If you found my client email and started pestering me I'd report you in a heartbeat.

yes, you are right. thanks for your reply.

NikolaS

Hi Hafizur,

I am sorry for the late response. Please note that all conversations before a contract is started must be through Upwork Messages, where you can send messages, have video calls, and more. Taking communications with a freelancer or client off of Upwork before a contract is in place is against our Terms of Service.

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed or edited from this thread for Community Guidelines. We encourage our Community members to be professional and respectful to one another when posting here. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and avoid making personal attacks.

Thank you!

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members