🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » If a client fails payment but pays their bill...
Page options
lysis10
Community Member

If a client fails payment but pays their bill on Friday, do they need to contact Upwork?

I have a client who has spent over $1 million on the platform, so I assume he's a good Upwork client. He's been a cool client for me too. His payment must have failed last week, so I got notification the contract was suspended on Friday morning. On Friday, he must have taken care of the payment issue because the money moved to pending.

The contract is still suspended and they are asking me to work. My question is do they need to contact Upwork? I assumed the contract would come out of suspension automatically.

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

His payment must have failed last week, so I got notification the contract was suspended on Friday morning. On Friday, he must have taken care of the payment issue because the money moved to pending.

If the contract is still on hold, the problem has not been resolved. It moves to Pending anyway, even if not paid (at midnight Friday night UTC) then (if not paid by then) there is a review of your work diary tomorrow evening, and depending on the outcome, the funds become available as usual or are reversed.

Jennifer M wrote:

The contract is still suspended and they are asking me to work. My question is do they need to contact Upwork? I assumed the contract would come out of suspension automatically.

It would had the client paid. They haven't.

Tell them Upwork are forbidding you to work until the hold is resolved.

lysis10
Community Member

Is the suspension removed automatically for a payment made after suspension for non-payment?

petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Is the suspension removed automatically for a payment made after suspension for non-payment?

Yep, in absence of additional unrelated naughty stuff

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jennifer,

I located the contract you're referring to and I'll have one of our agents reach out to the client directly to advise them regarding their account/contract status. Make sure to stop working on this contract and continue only after you can see that the contracts have been resumed. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
tta192
Community Member

Don't expect the job to come back to normal simply because you received the last payment on time. I had a few jobs suspended like that due to unspecified client side issues. Payments were not affected in any way (not even delayed) but the suspension was not lifted and the contracts never resumed - I just closed them after several months of "investigations". 

petra_r
Community Member

Andrei T wrote:

Payments were not affected in any way (not even delayed) but the suspension was not lifted and the contracts never resumed -

With clients who have spent over $ 1 Million?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members