🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Inactive/No Feedback contract and JSS
Page options
saad-jamal
Community Member

Inactive/No Feedback contract and JSS

Hi

The client has previously created 5 to 6 milestones within the contract. All work done, submitted, and paid for. Now the client is saying he will add another milestone but would take him some time. Around 5 to 6 days. The contract is idle now

I want to ask will the contract being idle for this amount of time affect my JSS. or not.

Since the client does not want to end the contract he wants to work on another project with me.

Please let me know about this

Thank You

Regards

Saad Jamal

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Saad,

Keeping contracts with no recent activity open will not affect your score negatively. If you have contracts that are still open but no further work needs to be done, you can still consider asking your clients to close them or go ahead and close them yourself. Please, note that when you close a contract, the client is notified and will have 14 days to provide their feedback on the contract. If no feedback is provided on the contract by them, it will not have an impact on your score.

In the case of contracts without earnings, while the parties won't be able to provide public feedback on a contract that didn't have any payments, they can still provide private feedback. If the client provides positive private feedback on a contract with no earnings, that contract will be excluded from JSS. If the client specifies in their feedback that the contract had a negative outcome, that will be counted in the score.

If the client doesn't provide any private feedback on a contract with no earnings, that contract will be excluded from the JSS calculation.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

271 REPLIES 271

If it counts towards your JSS, it will reflect on the next JSS update, which happens every other week. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
92e36024
Community Member

So I just started work on new contract with client. after starting he got some extra work  so I asked to increase price and he cant increase it. not any milestone is approved and first milestone money is in escrow so if now I ended the contract before submitting first milestone will it affect my profile Job success rate?

Hi Dhruval,

Thank you for reaching out to us. While clients won't be able to leave public feedback on a contract with no earnings, they still have the option to leave private feedback and this directly affects your JSS. Please check this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork
a8b2a90b
Community Member

I have a similar problem, trying to work it out.

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. I've checked your profile, and it looks like you haven't landed a job yet. Could you please tell us more about the problem you're experiencing with your profile? We'll have that reviewed and assist you accordingly.

In the meantime, I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. Check out this article for great tips on writing proposals that win jobs.

~ Arjay
Upwork
a8b2a90b
Community Member

No worries, I can manage it.

Thanks for the articles.

90559df4
Community Member

Dear upwork community,

I accepted a client's order and did some work, but he sent a refund request after I did the work. I refunded the full amount of his contract.But then he terminated the contract and gave me a bad review. It is affecting my account badly. Is it possible to remove it please?

Hi Theekshana,

Thank you for reaching out to us. A contract with no earnings will not show up in your work history so there would not be any public feedback. However, clients may still leave private feedback. Please keep in mind that feedback removal is only available to Top Rated freelancers.

I checked your account and can confirm that the contract you're referring to does not reflect on your profile anymore. 

~ AJ
Upwork

Does the feedback given by the client affect my account?

Because before getting those feedback, I got 3 or 4 job offers
Came to the day, now there is none

dsmgdesign
Community Member

Hello,  If I accept an hourly contract, but then later close it without clocking any time on the contract (so no money on the contract), and the client leaves poor private feedback, will that private feedback impact my JSS? There are so many bad clients on this platform specifically so that's why I ask. 

Hi David,

While the parties won't be able to provide public feedback on a contract that didn't have any payments, they can still provide private feedback. If the client specifies in their feedback that the contract had a negative outcome, that will be counted in the score.

If the client doesn't provide private feedback on a contract with no earnings, that contract will be excluded from the JSS calculation.
~ Luiggi
Upwork

That's a shame. So many bad, unreasonable clients on this platform, why should I get dinged for working with one of them? I'll probably stop using Upwork soon anyway as a souce for qualified leads since it's pretty non-exsistent. 

87d5677d
Community Member

Dear Sir

I would like to know if I Close & End the Project Contract myself & give Feedback, which is left unclosed & unpaid, for many months in hourly basis, by the unresponsive Client, will it effect my JSS? This respective Client for the Project Contract:- Low power reverse polarity DC motor cycle, has unclosed & unpaid the Project Contract for many months which is still showing "In progress(1), in my Work History" in my Profile ID. 

How should I remove this & what should I do, so that this doesnot affect my JSS?

Kindly, find the Screen Shot, as Attached below.

Kindly, support & suggest me.

Waiting for your's responses.

Thank you

Romel R

Hi Romel,

Thanks for reaching out. If you have contracts that are still open but no further work needs to be done, you can still consider asking your clients to close them or go ahead and close them yourself. Please, note that when you close a contract, the client is notified and will have 14 days to provide their feedback on the contract. If no feedback is provided on the contract by them, it will not have an impact on your score.

In the case of contracts without earnings, while the parties won't be able to provide public feedback on a contract that didn't have any payments, they can still provide private feedback. If the client provides positive private feedback on a contract with no earnings, that contract will be excluded from JSS. If the client specifies in their feedback that the contract had a negative outcome, that will be counted in the score. If the client doesn't provide any private feedback on a contract with no earnings, that contract will be excluded from the JSS calculation.

~ AJ
Upwork

Dear Annie,

I am a new Upwork freelancer. My profile has just started to display my job success score today. However, to my surprise, it is only 75%.

A week ago, I entered into a contract with a client. We agreed on a fixed budget and a deadline, and I began working on the project after the contract was started. But unexpectedly, he paused my work. That was when I realized that he had hired two developers for the same project. I suspect that one of them completed the work before me. But this was still within the agreed timeframe. I contacted him and asked if there was anything I could do, but he terminated the contract and requested a refund from the escrow. I accepted his decision, since I had not submitted my work.

Does this situation affect my job success score negatively?

Hi Dmytrii,

Only if the client leaves negative private feedback. As I mentioned in my response to Romel, a contract with no earnings will not let clients leave public feedback but they still can leave private feedback, and if they leave a negative one, that will impact your JSS.

~ AJ
Upwork

Dear Annie Jane

I really understood the way you have explained - (1) Contracts opened with earnings w.r.t public Feedbacks &

(2) Contracts opened without earnings w.r.t private Feedbacks. The explanation was wonderful.

Thank you so much.

Romel R

9a2901af
Community Member

I was sick for last 2 weeks. Some of my contracts got ended by clients without any money transaction on the contract casue I wasn't able to work. Are those contract's feedback also counted in my JSS?

Yes.

But I think it's not fair. 

bbebb116
Community Member

Dear Support,
I hope you are doing well. My name is Noman, and I am writing to bring a matter of concern to your attention regarding a recent contract I initiated with a client on the platform.

The client initiated the contract, funded the first milestone, but unfortunately, within a few hours, he terminated the contract without any work being completed. The reason provided was that they had found someone else for the job, with a message stating, "Hi Noman, sorry, I found someone else to do this job. But we will work in the future as we plan to have more projects. All the best." Subsequently, the client has requested a refund of the funded amount and has become unresponsive to my messages.

While I understand and respect the client's prerogative to end a contract, my primary concern is how this termination, with no work completed, might impact my profile rating. I have not had the opportunity to deliver any work, and I am willing to agree to the contract termination, but I wish to ensure that my profile remains unaffected, given the circumstances.

I kindly request your prompt assistance and guidance on how to navigate this situation. I value my reputation on Upwork and believe that a fair resolution will uphold the integrity of the platform. Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to your prompt response.

Best regards,

Hi Noman,

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't move forward with this project. While the parties won't be able to provide public feedback on a contract that didn't have any payments, they can still provide private feedback. If the client provides positive private feedback on a contract with no earnings, that contract will be excluded from JSS. If the client specifies in their feedback that the contract had a negative outcome, that will be factored into the score.

If the client doesn't provide private feedback on a contract with no earnings, that contract will be excluded from the JSS calculation.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
3bc53a90
Community Member

I had a bunch of old contracts that didn't have activity for many months and I knew that the client's didn't need any more work so I closed them.  I did this because I had a potential client look at all these active jobs and she thought I didn't have enough time to take on more work.  I just came accross an article mentioning how this may affect my JSS score since it is unlikely the clients will go in and leave a review after all this time - and I am unlikely to ask them to do so.  How does this affect my JSS score?  Thanks!

Hi Cynthia,

Unless your clients leave feedback on the contracts in question, these won't impact your JSS. You can check this page for more information on what affects your score. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
3bc53a90
Community Member

Thank you Luiggi, but I think you may have misunderstood that these contracts had no activity.  They did have payments, but didn't have recent activity and I knew the clients didn't need any further work, so I closed them.  Does that change the answer?  I see that many of the above comments are referencing contracts that had no payments, but all of the contracts that I closed had payments.  Thank you.

Thanks for clarifying, Cynthia. This also applies to contracts that had payments. If the client doesn't leave feedback on a contract, it won't impact your score. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
youssefdawood
Community Member

Hello,
I've some work in progress because some clients haven't ended the contract yet, and it has been months now.

the client already made the payments and he liked the work but didn't end the contract so he didn't leave me a review I have sent him to end it but still no reply.

if I ended the contract by myself, does it affect my JSS?

Thank you

I have the same question 

Hi Youssef,

Keeping contracts with no recent activity open or ending the contract will not negatively affect your score. If you have contracts that are still open but no further work needs to be done, you can still consider asking your clients to close them or go ahead and close them yourself.

When you close a contract, the client is notified and will have 14 days to provide their feedback on the contract. If they do not provide feedback on the contract, it will not impact your score. You may read more about how the Job Success Score is calculated here.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
mrsnosheen
Community Member

My client created a job for $150 and he approved the first milestone of $100. The remaining amount is not funded. He doesn't need more work. So can the contract be closed without affecting my JSS?

mrsnosheen
Community Member

My client created a job of $150 with one funded milestone of $100. He had approved the first milestone but didn't need further tasks. If this contract is closed having a non-funded milestone, will it affect my JSS?

Hi Nosheen, the main thing that impacts your JSS is the actual feedback from the client, so the actual milestones do not affect it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members