🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Increasing Funds for Fixed Price
Page options
krystal3446
Community Member

Increasing Funds for Fixed Price

Hello,

I’m working on a formulation for a project that required more work than I’ve anticipated. I’ve discussed with her that the current fixed fee didn’t reflect on the amount of work and hours I’ve put into the project. She said she’s willing to change the fixed fee that will reflect on the amount of work and hours on the project. How would that work? Do I need to close the contract? Ask her to add more milestones? I can’t propose another contract because I’ve just started working with her and didn’t submit the work yet.
7 REPLIES 7
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Ask her to add more milestones and definitely don't close the contract. But it's up to you to make sure that you have given a client an accurate quote BEFORE you accept a project, not afterwards; you may find in the future that not all clients are as understanding as this one.

@Christine A: I always give an accurate rate before signing on, so you didn't really school me on anything new there.

However, she wanted ADDITIONAL work to be added on that will take up more time than needed and I wasn't going to add more to anything without getting paid for it. She's changed her mind on what she wanted, but is willing to pay for it. I usually finish and ask for another contract but I wanted to see if there are other options to updating a fixed fee.

P.S., I've been getting clients that are very understanding. Guess I've been lucky.

Krystal C wrote:

@Christine A: I always give an accurate rate before signing on, so you didn't really school me on anything new there.

However, she wanted ADDITIONAL work to be added on that will take up more time than needed and I wasn't going to add more to anything without getting paid for it. She's changed her mind on what she wanted, but is willing to pay for it. I usually finish and ask for another contract but I wanted to see if there are other options to updating a fixed fee.

P.S., I've been getting clients that are very understanding. Guess I've been lucky.

Fair enough, but your original post stated that the work was taking you longer than you had anticipated, not that the client had assigned you additional work. That was the reason for my response. In any case, my answer still stands; you don't have to start a new contract (and you definitely shouldn't, since closing this contract without any payments will impact your JSS). You can just add a milestone or a bonus payment.

Hi Krystal,

Please keep in mind that promised funds or unfunded funds are not protected under our Fixed Price Protection. If your client needs any help with adding another milestone they can reach out to our Customer Support directly. You can also share this Help Article with them on how to add another milestone. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

@Goran, thanks, but the milestone is funded actually that's why I'm asking this question.

Thanks for all your answers. I think I'm good now.

Goran V wrote:

Hi Krystal,

Please keep in mind that promised funds or unfunded funds are not protected under our Fixed Price Protection. If your client needs any help with adding another milestone they can reach out to our Customer Support directly. You can also share this Help Article with them on how to add another milestone. Thank you.

Goran - if you're still around - is there any update on freelancers being given the ability to add and change milestones? I seem to recall that this was going to start happening in June, but I have no active contracts at the moment so I haven't checked.

Christine, I just took a look at an open contract with no active milestones and I can't find any opportunity to add or propose one (though oddly, I can propose a new CONTRACT from within my ongoing contract).

That may or may not mean anything, given the phased rollouts, but if that option is being rolled out it hasn't reached everyone yet.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members