Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual and Agency

jay_vaishnani
Ace Contributor
Jay V Member Since: Nov 6, 2015
1 of 8

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2 question. 1) Is it good to work as individual or should I work with an agency for more income? 2) There is a agency owner who wants me to add in his Upwork Agency and asking me for my Username, do I really have to give my Username to that guy? I am not sure what to do and need your help once again, please guide me in the right direction.

Thank you,
Jay V.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 8

Hi Jay,

Yes, you need to provide the agency owner with your user ID or email address in order for them to invite you to their agency. You can find general information about agencies here.

There are several reasons why freelancers typically join agencies. Having the agency's business manager take care of bidding can free more time for the freelancer to work on contracts. Some freelancers join agencies because it's easier for them to receive payments that way. 

Many freelancers have shared that they prefer to run their business independently instead of joining a team.

~ Valeria
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 8

@Jay V wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2 question. 1) Is it good to work as individual or should I work with an agency for more income? 2) There is a agency owner who wants me to add in his Upwork Agency

1)  How would giving an agency a whole chunk of your income help you make more money? Plus there are so many clients who filter out all agency freelancers and will never look at an agency application.....

2) Does that agency have a huge amount of business, is it top rated and has big earnings?

jay_vaishnani
Ace Contributor
Jay V Member Since: Nov 6, 2015
4 of 8

Petra,

Thanks for replying. Do I have to pay them from if I have my own client and they are in contract with me not with an agency? I am not sure about your second question lol.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 8

Jay,

If you become a non-exclusive member of an agency, you'll still have an ability to have your own contracts with clients. However, payments for contracts that you will have under the agency will go to the agency's financial account. The agency owner will then be responsible to paying you for your work according to your agreement with the agency.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

chreaven
Christine C Member Since: Jan 16, 2018
6 of 8

Hello. I just want to confirm. I am part of an Agency right now and has an open contract. What if the client wants to hire me as an individual freelancer on Upwork, will that be possible? Or is it a violation? The contract will still be with Upwork ofcourse, but as an individual freelancer instead of agency freelancer.

Thank you.

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
7 of 8

Hi Christine,

If you are an Exclusive Agency member then you will not be able to work independtly on contracts that are not assigned by the agency. However if you are Non-Exclusive, then you will be able to. Please read more about the two ways of working under an agency here.

~Nina
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 8

@Jay V wrote:

Petra,

1) Do I have to pay them from if I have my own client and they are in contract with me not with an agency?

2) I am not sure about your second question lol.

1) Say a client wants to pay XX.XX for a job and hires you through an agency, the agency takes a cut, often a huge one. If you worked with that client directly you'd be just paying Upwork, not Upwork AND the agency. If you are an exclusive agency freelancer,  all your contracts go through the agency.

2) Well, did you look at that person's agency profile? Are they super successful and have a fabulous JSS? If not, why would you want to be associated with them?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS