🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it better to end a contract or try and ful...
Page options
guinevere1964
Community Member

Is it better to end a contract or try and fulfill unrealistic expectations?

Hello, I was given an extensive list of priorities every day by the client.  The hours ranged between 1 - 3.   On the last day of the contract, I had been given 1 hour to complete/work on priorities. Is it better to end the contract professionally or wait to be told you cannot do the job?  I put in extra hours to try and keep up, but it is almost impossible. I can see a pattern with other freelancers employed before me. Would you get a bad review either way?  

11 REPLIES 11
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I would end it professionally, it's not worth the hassle. You probably get bad feedback no matter what you do. 

Thank you for your feedback
deborah-ponzio
Community Member

I would see better to take the issue in your own hands and seek a professional and polite exit strategy. You are entitled to work out some excuses (unexpected health/family occurrences, time issues) in light of this client's unfair behaviour. Offer help for transition/handover to someone else before closing the contract. It's important that you remain friendly and cheerful when doing this. I hope that this helps 😉

Thank you for your reply.

You are welcome, please keep us updated and good luck

prestonhunter
Community Member

Not every freelancer-client combination is a "good fit."

As a freelancer, it is not good for you to be in a situation that you don't want to be in.

The client is not well served by having a freelancer on her team who does not want to be there.

If you stay on the project reluctantly rather than giving the client an opportunity to find the right people for the project, then you are undermining the client's ability to achieve her goals.

Thank you for your feedback
tagrendy
Community Member

I would communicate that it takes longer to do the tasks, if they want me to do it. It's a possibility they will be OK with you charging more. If not then exit strategy.

There was once a man who wanted to become a professional basketball player.

But he was short.

And he had no natural athletic ability.

And he did not have enough drive to practice and get better.

Ultimately his dreams of becoming a professional player were never realized.

This man was the surgeon who operated on my cousin and saved her live.

(I just made this story up, by the way.)

The client referenced in the original post may be like the man who wanted to become a professional basketball player, but didn't have what it takes to achieve that goal.

This client may not have what it takes to be a successful Upwork client.

Is it the freelancer's responsibility to help transform this client into a successful client?
No.

If the client is frustrated by lack of success in hiring freelancers, the client is welcome to come here to the Forum and we will give them advice all day long.

But an individual freelancer needs to put her own business needs first. And if it is a waste of the freelancer's time to continue working with an incompetent client, then the freelancer may need to leave.

Thank you

Hi Preston, I see what you're saying, ultimately if working with a client is irritating, cutting ties might be the best energy-saving solution in the long run. I simply stated what I would do, because at times the client is not unfixable per-se. Some think they know how long something will take, and don't want freelancers overcharging / abusing them. That is understandable to me. If they value working with me I'll give them a chance to adjust things on their end. That said, there are clients who know they are asking for too much work and are just abusing the Freelancer for how long they can. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members