🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is it possible to remove my account and c...
Page options
lukenam
Community Member

Is it possible to remove my account and create a new one with a different email id

I want to be eligible for rising talent but I have an old upwork account. Is it possible to remove my account and create a new one with a different email id?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Andre and others,

I'd like to reiterate that it is not allowed to register for more than one account on Upwork, regardless of the original account being closed or not. Users agree to only register for one account. Please, see this section of Upwork User Agreement for more information. 

Several comments have been removed and I'll be closing this thread from further responses with this comment as a solution. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
tagrendy
Community Member

No.

PradeepH

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your message. Please note that creating and managing multiple accounts are considered a violation of Upwork TOS. Please close your multiple accounts to avoid any account interruption in the future.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
lukenam
Community Member

Clearly you didn't read or understand what I said. I do not have multiple accounts. I only have one. I was wondering if it was possible to remove it and start a new one. Considering upwork just repeats the same warning, I'm assuming it's not possible. Understood.

a_lipsey
Community Member

No, it's not possible to delete your account and create a new one. This is considered having two accounts by Upwork, which is what Pradeep meant. 

You can only ever have one account ever. You cannot delete it to create a new one. You get one shot.

Best to move forward and work on having a high JSS and getting top rated. Rising Talent doesn't mean much anyways and it's arbitrary who gets it. THere's no guarantee with a new account that you'd get it anyhow.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

No, and creating a new account doesn't guarantee you get rising talent. 

17362cec
Community Member

I am ver new to upwork and i got a who loved my work but gave me a bad feedback for the world to see. now i am doomed and will not ever be able to get any new clients becasue of the stain this client has put on my account. shouldn't i just give up and close my account and go elsewhere?

You decide what you want to do with your account. Just know that if you close your account and decide to come back later on, this will be your account. This feedback will reappear as you are not allowed to create a new account. Your original account is the only account you can ever have. Creating a new account is a serious violation of Upwork's Terms of Service, even if you only have one account open at a time.

You are not doomed. Refund it and it will disappear. 

It will  bite you later when you get a JSS, so try to get A LOT of jobs in a short time so the impact will not be so  bad. 

81f2681a
Community Member

I think it is possible to close the account clicking in the button "Close my account". Then you can create a new account with another e-mail.

Realy, I don´t think this is considered "managing multiple accounts", lets be reasonable here, managing multiple accounts is when you have 2 or more accounts being used in the same time. Closing an account then creating a new account isn´t "managing multiple accounts". (This is simple logic, or am I wrong?)

I think it is realy unfair if freelancers can´t close an account and start a new one. My last clients didn´t leave me a review, even with the jobs done being completed sucessfully, I´m struggling for months to get a new client and I´m suspecting the lack of reviews maybe the problem. I´m one that is considering closing my account and create a new one. And if I can´t do it, this is completely unfair. There is many reasons for someone wanting to close his account and create a new one.

Andre A wrote:

I think it is possible to close the account clicking in the button "Close my account". Then you can create a new account with another e-mail.

Realy, I don´t think this is considered "managing multiple accounts", lets be reasonable here, managing multiple accounts is when you have 2 or more accounts being used in the same time. Closing an account then creating a new account isn´t "managing multiple accounts". (This is simple logic, or am I wrong?)

I think it is realy unfair if freelancers can´t close an account and start a new one. My last clients didn´t leave me a review, even with the jobs done being completed sucessfully, I´m struggling for months to get a new client and I´m suspecting the lack of reviews maybe the problem. I´m one that is considering closing my account and create a new one. And if I can´t do it, this is completely unfair. There is many reasons for someone wanting to close his account and create a new one.

It is quite irresponsible of you to recommend breaking rules to others and announce you plan to do it yourself. 

You can never have more than one upwork account. Yes, it is technically feasible to open another one with a different email account, different bank account, name, address, but at some point you will be found out, lose all accounts, and all your earnings that you didn't withdraw will go back to your clients. 

Telling other people to do the same is a big disservice, stop that immediately. If one person loses his/her chance to ever work on this platform because of your posts, is that something you want to take on?

The rules says: "No managing multiples accounts".

Deleting an account and creating a new one is "managing multiple accounts"? Of course it is not. This is so basic interpretation that I realy feels surprised that you can´t understand the basics. I´m not breaking any rule if I do it.

Anyway, an account impossible to get new clients due to bad reviews, no reviews,  or whatever anyother reason is almost the same as a closed account. So, a freelancer that try to close an account and create another to try again is losing nothing. But you want that nobody try again. You are being completely unfair.

Andre A wrote:

The rules says: "No managing multiples accounts".

Deleting an account and creating a new one is "managing multiple accounts"? Of course it is not. This is so basic interpretation that I realy feels surprised that you can´t understand the basics. I´m not breaking any rule if I do it.

It's you who doesn't understand the basics. You are only allowed to have one account, EVER, and people who try to delete their account and start a new account are absolutely breaking the rules, and will be permanently banned.

Andre A wrote:

Anyway, an account impossible to get new clients due to bad reviews, no reviews,  or whatever anyother reason is almost the same as a closed account. So, a freelancer that try to close an account and create another to try again is losing nothing. But you want that nobody try again. You are being completely unfair.

What's the point in getting any reviews at all, if you can just delete your account and start over? It would make reviews completely meaningless. 

I am not unfair, since I am not upwork. Upwork is not unfair, since they own the platform and it is within their rights to create the rules everybody has to adhere to. 

You should not give others wrong advice, they can lose their profiles and their ability to ever earn money on upwork if they do. That would make you very unfair, no?

In any case, freelancers who know what they are doing and are getting great feedback never worry about this issue. They don't feel the need to have a new profile, since they consistently get excellent feedback from their happy clients. 

The feedback system is designed to tell clients about the abilities the freelancer has. Deleting bad profiles and creating new ones is fraud, be it for the new connects, or to delete a bad review. 

In any case, if you want to use upwork, you need to adhere to their rules. You confirmed you are going to when you signed up. If you disagree with the rules, you should not be using upwork. 

Deleting a freelancer account to create a new one is a serious violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. You are allowed one account ever. The first one.

The TOS says:

"You can’t copy, share or give away your account. You can’t have multiple accounts and you can’t sell, trade or give your account to anyone else without our permission."

In what part is saying that I can´t close an account and create another one?

If Upwork doesn´t allow to close and create new accounts, so Upwork is being completely unfair and nonsense. Any client can create a new account and post any new scammer job; but a freelancer that just want to start again, doing better, can´t? This is completely nonsense!

Read User Agreement Section 1.4 

"You agree not to register for or maintain more than one Account..."

If you create one account, close it and create another one, this makes 2 accounts, which is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service.

This is completely nonsense, and if this rule is so strict, so as I said before, Upwork is a very unfair platform and this TOS must be updated. So, Upwork isn´t a so reasonable platform as I thought. One mistake, fail or just bad lucky and you´re out?! Thats it?! No more chances to try again?!

This rule is complete nonsense. Everybody must have rights to try again. Using just one account forever is complete nonsense! If an account isn´t brigging results, so, no anyother chance?! Thats it? You got a bad review first time, "no more chances bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha"  and they laugh at you as a vilain?! Upwork will lose a lot of freelancers this way. Anyother platform gives you a second, third, fourty, fifht chance... but Upwork doesn´t?

And for thoses that thinks never will do a mistake or have bad lucky that may ruin your business, knows, you´re not perfect, and may fail at anytime.

Scammers creates a lot of new accounts and thats ok, when caught and having their accounts closed, they just creates another new one and trys to scamm someone again. But, freelancers that had bad lucky, can´t create a new account to try to do a better service than before? What will be the result? More and more scammers will come and less and less good freelancers will be out of the platform. Upwork will languish this way.

It doesn't matter whether you think that the rule is complete nonsense. You should not give bad advice that could cause somebody to be permanently banned.

Christine A wrote:

It doesn't matter whether you think that the rule is complete nonsense. You should not give bad advice that could cause somebody to be permanently banned.

There is no diference having an useless account not able to get any client and being banned.

Andre A wrote:

The TOS says:

"You can’t copy, share or give away your account. You can’t have multiple accounts and you can’t sell, trade or give your account to anyone else without our permission."

If Upwork doesn´t allow to close and create new accounts, so Upwork is being completely unfair and nonsense. Any client can create a new account and post any new scammer job; but a freelancer that just want to start again, doing better, can´t? This is completely nonsense!

What do you mean? It's very wise.

(most) Freelancers would be deleting their account as soon as they spit out their allocated connects; they'd create new accounts after each (awful) work they've provided.

Why should there be a "do-over"? We (freelancers) represent ourselves, we are responsible for our actions.

Antun M wrote:

Why should there be a "do-over"? We (freelancers) represent ourselves, we are responsible for our actions.

Yes, we represents ourselves, but we are humans, and as humans we may fail or just have bad lucky at anytime.

Yes, we are responsible for our actions, but when you are damaged by other´s actions? If you disagree with a client, and you are right, but the client is a bad person and leaves a bad review to you just because he wanted? No more chances? Closing an account due some damage is just bad, not allowed to create a new one to start again is worst.

In life, if you lose your money you can start earn again. If you lose your company, you can open a new one again. If you lose your job, you can get a new job again. If you lose your house, you can build a new one again. If you lose If your girlfriend breaks up you can try a new relationship with someother girl again. But in Upwork, if you lose your account, or if your account turns useless to get new clients, you can´t start a new account and try again? Thats complete nonsense!

In all these situations above you can learn with your mistakes, or learn how to protect yourself against those who will try damage you again, and makes things works better. But in Upwork, you can´t try to make things better?

Yeah yeah.... scammers will try again, but serious freelancers in the improvement path can´t try again.... oooooh! Very fair.... no? No! It´s not fair.

Andre A wrote:

The TOS says:

Hi Andre, I understand it may be confusing, but Upwork has confirmed here on the forum many times that you cannot close an account to create a new one. You get one account in your lifetime. That's it. 

Hi Andre and others,

I'd like to reiterate that it is not allowed to register for more than one account on Upwork, regardless of the original account being closed or not. Users agree to only register for one account. Please, see this section of Upwork User Agreement for more information. 

Several comments have been removed and I'll be closing this thread from further responses with this comment as a solution. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members