🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is it time Upwork introduced a minimum wage p...
Page options
d17cb432
Community Member

Is it time Upwork introduced a minimum wage per hour?

Let's talk this though with each other.

Are you for this or against this? Please give a reason for your answer...

Some of these jobs are paying just $3 a hour, personally I think that's SLAVE Labour and the minimum should be $10 for any work. Don't forget Upwork's fee of 20% is taken from that $3.

Keep it polite please people...

6 REPLIES 6
kfarnell
Community Member

There are minimums - $3 p/h or $5 fixed fee: 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062988-Minimum-hourly-and-fixed-price-rates-on-Upwor...

That was actually an improvement on how it used to be, with no minimum of fixed price posts.

Obviously, how much it's worth in real terms depends on where you're based. And people argue vociferously for keeping it low. But there is low and there is low. Without getting into an argument about what it should be, given the simple fact that these rates have existed for nearly seven years, it's probably time to raise them. 

I agree - I'm sure the minimum could be raised to $5/hour and clients would still be getting a good deal. 

lysis10
Community Member

I really don't care at all if some schmoe wants to work for $3/hour. Don't currrrr. 

The problem is that some freelancers' labor isn't really worth $3/hour. But it is the lowest that you can go.

So it essentially means that those freelancers who aren't skilled enough or valuable enough to be worth $3/hour can't use the platform as effectively as they might otherwise do if a lower minimum was available.

re: "Some of these jobs are paying just $3 a hour, personally I think that's SLAVE Labour and the minimum should be $10 for any work. Don't forget Upwork's fee of 20% is taken from that $3."

Your statement is factually incorrect.

$3/hour far exceeds the typical pay workers receive in many parts of the world, including many places with active Upwork freelancer populations.

Also, $3/hour is simply a minimum. YOU may pay freelancers as much as you want to pay them.

nav_designer
Community Member

what about the Mini fiver project catalog it should be removed asap 🙂 

many Slave and hungry freelancers are available there. no check and balance gigs are approved with fake and generic portfolios. 

luce-neidert
Community Member

Alec C wrote:

Some of these jobs are paying just $3 a hour, personally I think that's SLAVE Labour and the minimum should be $10 for any work. Don't forget Upwork's fee of 20% is taken from that $3.

The real problem is that freelancers are stupid enough to apply to work for such low fees. They don't have to.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members