🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is there any way to report client's bad behav...
Page options
3a9ab81d
Community Member

Is there any way to report client's bad behavior?

Recently I have encountered a client with worst manner.

The situation is like this:

I have completed the task(wordpress page editing) and client checked it and finished the contract.
After few days later he came again and said his site is not working and it's all my fault.

And he is forcing me to refund or fix it immediately.

He even contacted me outside of the platform and threatened he will damage my reputation on linkedin with his 15k connections.

(his message is attached)

I have tried to report this to the platform but I didn't find the way yet.

If any of you know the way of doing this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

**Edited for community guidelines**

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

any reason you blocked the client on Upwork?

MOST of the time, when a client behaves badly, the correct thing for a freelancer is not to report the client to Upwork. Most "bad behaviors" are not reportable.

So MOST of the time, the right choice for a freelancer is one of these:

- Stop working for the client

- Ignore the bad behavior because the client is paying you and you like the money.

- Work on modifying the bad behavior.

Here is an example of modifying the bad behavior:
A client is working with a freelancer on a mapping program. The client repeatedly refers to the nation of Myanmar as "Burma." This IS bad behavior as far as the freelancer is concerned. The freelancer's mother is (in fact) Burmese, and the freelancer does not like using the former name, preferring the current name. The freelancer told the client: "Janet: I really don't like it when you call it Burma. The name of the country is Myanmar." The client said she did not know, apologized, and this was no longer an issue.

Although this client exhibited bad behavior, this is not something that Upwork would want freelancers to report.

A similar example might be a freelancer who is a Seventh-day Adventist, and who worked with a client who asked her to work on Saturday. Once again, this was bad behavior, but the freelancer was able to correct the client's behavior by talking to him. This was not something that Upwork would want reported.

Even more egregious bad behaviors by clients are usually something that a freelancer can handle on her own. Either by working to modify the behavior, or ignoring it, or by simply quitting. Upwork allows freelancers to end a contract at any time. A freelancer may tell a client exactly why they are quitting ("I can not in good conscious continue writing blog articles about marriage for a divorced father who is behind on his child support payments"), but a freelancer is NOT required to give a reason. A freelancer could simply tell a client: "My situation has changed and I will no longer be able to work on the project. All of the files are up to date and on the server. I wish you well."

3a9ab81d
Community Member

He continued to ask to add new features after contract finished without creating new contract.

re: "He continued to ask to add new features after contract finished without creating new contract."

Yes, well... That is preposterous behavior.

There is much about that client that is ridiculous and inexcusable.

I am sorry you had a bad experience.

Had it been me, personally... I don't know that I would have ever gotten to the point that I experienced some of the things you experienced with the client. If I had worked with a client and the contract was finished and he asked me for something new, I would have said "Yes," and explained that I can do it with an hourly contract or a fixed-price contract for $X dollars.

No client should ever ask for free work on Upwork. For one thing, it is a violation of Upwork ToS. But there is another important reason: As a client, I can't afford to have people working on my important projects for free. That is a recipe for disaster.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, Oleksandr. 

It looks like you were able to report the messages for inappropriate content. Our team will review this report and take action as per our internal processes. 

It is always good to communicate and politely explain everything to your client to avoid any misunderstanding. You can discuss the current situation with the client and attempt to resolve the situation amicably.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members