cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Issuing a refund

Community Leader
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
11 of 14

Richard, you have a much better way with words than I do, and I agree with you.

There really is a judgemental, somewhat condesending, air around here which leaves little room for differing opinions.  So, thank you for sharing that  :-)

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 14

Anna T wrote:

Perhaps if Upwork would do something about the ever present JSS noose, less refunds would be given. Sorry, but with all due respect and at the risk of sounding like a “JSS whiner” (as was so eloquently put in another thread) as long as Upwork continues with this type inequitable leverage there will continue to be refunds as it is the only option Upwork provides in some situations.

Giving a refund does not help the JSS at all.

A fully refunded contract hides bad public feedback from public view, it does not affect the negative impact of such feedback on the JSS. In fact, in absence of (any) feedback a full refund has a negative effect on the JSS.

So I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
13 of 14

Thank you, Kathy  - 

I've been wanting to start a thread about this very thing, because it seems to have become endemic. I've wondered if I've been the only one thinking that there's been a huge uptick in this refunding thing. I fear Upwork is getting a reputation as a site where it is really easy to get your work done for free.

I have to say that it seems to happen to freelancers who don't know anything about the business of freelancing - how to find and work with good clients and get paid. Many of us have never encountered the kinds of clients we are introduced to in those posts ... and that's not just dumb luck, it's experience.

People signing up every day, with no experience and no inclination to read all the resources available to them but rather jump right in - they're the ones who get preyed on by scammy clients who get away with what they're doing and come back and do it again because they know they can.

Let's face it - there are people who have no business being freelancers, but Upwork is taking anybody and everybody, and in the process they're losing out on their fees with all these refunds. I'm not saying  this doesn't happen to experienced freelancers, but most of the threads point to newbies who live in fear of the almighty JSS and know nothing about managing client relationships - just count how many of those posts start with "I'm new here".

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
14 of 14

Ah, but pointing out that the inexperienced should educate themselves and gain some business skills is considered sarcastic or rude. 🙄 I feel bad for the sincerely naive person who attempts to begin freelancing and is willing to learn. We are all so burned out trying to help those who don't want assistance but prefer to demand a handout. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS