Did you mean: 

It's a SCAM!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 100

What kind of details did you give them?

Natalie L Member Since: Jun 26, 2017
32 of 100
My address, phone number, stupidly my bank details. I am so frustrated with myself!
Community Guru
33 of 100

@Natalie L wrote:
My address, phone number, stupidly my bank details. I am so frustrated with myself!

Oh dear... Now that wasn't very clever. You may need to change your account - please call your bank for advice. There might be a fraudulent deposit at best but usually their scam is aimed at US freelancers (due to their weird banking procedures) so the scammer may figure out you are UK.

NEVER EVER give out details like that to complete strangers on the Internet.

NEVER give a client stuff like that, they rarely ever (in your case, at this stage) need your address, and you need to make sure all payment goes through Upwork and Upwork only.

ANY mention of Google-Hangout is almost certainly a scam.

34 of 100
I've never used anything like this before I wasn't really aware. They caught me at a very low moment. I've contacted them to say I am no longer interested and they said it isn't a scam but I'm not taking an chances. Thank you for your help. I will contact my bank asap. I am such a fool.
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
35 of 100

Natalie:

WHICH bank details?

If you provided:

- bank name

- bank address

- bank phone number

...then you have nothing to worry about.

If you provided bank account numbers or security codes, then you have a problem.

36 of 100
Account number and sort code. I'm on to my bank now.
Ridhima G Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
37 of 100

The same thing is happening to me. but they said that they have sent me a cheque and I am supposed to get it by tomorrow. They also made me sign a job offer letter. Everything else is same. Interview on hangouts. Then the software's they said are almost the same. Is it still a scam??? I don't want to lose an opportunity... Help.

Community Guru
38 of 100

@Ridhima G wrote:

The same thing is happening to me. but they said that they have sent me a cheque and I am supposed to get it by tomorrow. They also made me sign a job offer letter. Everything else is same. Interview on hangouts. Then the software's they said are almost the same. Is it still a scam??? I don't want to lose an opportunity... Help.

Of course it is a scam. The cheque is (of course) fake.

One of the oldest, dumbest scams on the net.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
39 of 100

Ridhima,

Please, note that the interview has already been archived because the job was cancelled for violation of Upwork ToS. Check out this post for more information about how to recognize questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
40 of 100

re: "The same thing is happening to me... They said that they have sent me a cheque... They also made me sign a job offer letter. Everything else is same... the software's they said are almost the same. Is it still a scam???"

Ridhima:

Why would it be a scam for everybody else, but not be a scam for you?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS