cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS Calculation seems off

Highlighted
Jeanne M Member Since: Oct 17, 2018
1 of 17

I'm hoping someone can help me with some information. I am relatively new to Upwork (Oct 2018) but I worked hard and was Rising Talent by December, with 100% feedback. However, I had one client, who I completed less than an hour of work for (on a trial assignment), who gave me a poor rating (unfair and inaccurate doesn't begin to describe it) and that tanked my JSS to 88% (which obviously took me out of the RT program). I have received two more 100% feedbacks since then, but my JSS is still only at 89%. So I am sitting with nine 5-star ratings and one 3.1. No matter how I look at it, that just doesn't compute.

Is there anyone with more experience who can give me some insight as to what is going on? How can one tank it so far down, yet more positives don't seem to make a difference?  Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Allen W Member Since: Oct 7, 2017
2 of 17

Your thread will likely be routed to a JSS thread shortly, as there are thousands of posts on this topic. The long and short of it is that there is more than just public feedback that goes into the JSS. That 3.1 person could have left you horrific private feedback that could drag your score down. 

Highlighted
3 of 17
I skimmed through some of the JSS ones, but those that I saw didn't answer my question exactly.  So clients can leave private feedback that freelancers don't get to see?
Highlighted
Community Leader
4 of 17

Yes, just like we can leave private and public feedback, so can they. I ran into a similar issue early on with my Upwork experience. A 4.1 kept me down for a while. No idea what they put privately. But even those 5.0 people could leave less than stellar feedback and we'd never really know.

Highlighted
5 of 17
Interesting and good to know. Mind if I ask how long yours was down and what you did (other than close contracts with positive feedback) to boost your JSS?
Highlighted
Community Leader
6 of 17

I was aggravated at the time but continued to work the jobs I had to make sure they were all completed well. It does not take too long for it to return to normal. You are at 89% now, so you'll get there quickly, probably after your next 5.0 contract. I know it seems like a pain right now, but you'll forget all about it once you hit Top Rated! That was my goal, push to become a Top Rated freelancer. It hasn't happened to me since, but if I do get a low feedback I can use my feedback removal perk now. 

Highlighted
7 of 17
You read my mind; that's exactly what I am striving for. My worry is that I'm losing weeks towards gaining entrance to the program.  
I appreciate your answers and help. I'll just keep at it. Still seems like an odd way to calculate, especially with no real recourse for the freelancer to prove the feedback is actually false and not just bad, but what can you do. 
Thanks again!
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Yazid M Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
8 of 17

You can see the "Clients who would recommend you" percentage on "My Stats" page. It gives you a global view on private feedbacks leave by your clients.

Highlighted
9 of 17
Can that be skewed by one feedback also? Or is that indicative of a wider range of numbers?
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Yazid M Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
10 of 17

Jeanne, last week My "Client..." was at 100% and after one single contrat, it dropped to 91%. Even if I'm not 100% sure, I asked the only one client who had closed a contract on this week. It's a cool guy but not a really skilled oned and therefore he replied that he may has given me a note on a hurry without paying enough attention. Before him, I use to have 10 evaluations and 100% on this stat. After that, if my math is good, it seems that he gave me a 0 Smiley Sad 

I'm waiting for sunday to see the impact on my JSS but yes, one single review can lower badly our JSS because we are new on this platform (I arrived just one month after you) and we have not enough jobs to counterbalance.

You have a bunch of works in progress as I can see. Hopefully, a majority of these will end on a great feedbacks (both public and private) and you will pass the 90% threshold. I'm pretty sure that you'll do it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS