🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Job success rate
Page options
ibangajnr
Community Member

JSS dropped

Hello.

This is my very first post here, though I have read a ton!

About a month ago, I woke up to find that my JSS had suddenly dropped from a perfect 100% to 89%, making me lose my Top-Rated badge. I was devastated as I couldn't just find out why. I had glowing reviews from all my clients and 100% said they would recommend me. The only thing I could point to was an offer I accepted from a client who became unreachable immediately after. He didn't respond to my 10s of messages. I had to end the contract since I didn't want another week to pass without any activity on the project.

I had thought that my JSS will show some signs of recovery, but no! It is still at 89% after two update cycles (last one today) and a few added jobs with pleased clients. What is going on? Is this some kind of bug?

I must add that just a few days ago, my client recommendation dropped to 75%, but that still doesn't explain why the JSS is fixed at 89% for 2 whole cycles.

It is frustrating for someone like me who strives to meet and, most times, exceed my clients' expectations. I had expected my JSS to reflect my efforts and my clients' rating of my work, as I have been rehired by a few of them.

Maybe someone with more experience can help me out. I am missing out on some jobs due to this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Elmir,

Thank you for your message. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,019 REPLIES 1,019
sodorov
Community Member

Yes, but i was in 95%, and in the last 15 days i have finished 4 projects with 5 stars  
but in the last JSS update my JSS was go down to 92%

This could be 2 reasons: 

1. One of your older contracts fell out of the algorithmatic window.

2. Remember, the private feedback also counts against your JSS, even though they left 5 star, the private may not be perfect.

the private feedback also counts against your JSS

It's the opposite. The public feedback ALSO counts against JSS, but very little. The main factor is private feedback. Why is it set up this way?

Because too many clients reported a bad experience of freelancers harrassing them for better feedback. Hence private feedback is more important, and also, it can't be changed later. This leads to clients giving more honest feedback, making the JSS more meaningful for future clients to decide who to hire.

bb3b311d
Community Member

Hi there,

Unfortunately, my JSS dropped from 100 to 90 without any cancellations and bad feedback in the last 14 days. But why has it is dropped suddenly?

Hi Asan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

• You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you.. but can you tell me the actual reason for my Jss dropping?

3cdcb033
Community Member

Hi, 

I did my first work for a client who just abandoned the project and did not reply for a single one of my message even as of today .I waited for him to give any further instruction or If he wanted any revision since it was my first job and I was trying to give my 100%. Upwork approved the project by its own and still there was no reply or reponse from the client. All he did was gave the negative feedback to tank my JSS and didn't even bothered to talk to me for revisions.
today I noticed that I have got  JSS now and it's on 75% it should have been higher because after that I have completed 7 more projects all with great feedbacks and a long term client but It feels like it has all gone to waste just because of that 1 client. 

Can anyone help me what should I do now ?

Hi Kaim,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. While we can't share if a specific contract had an impact on your score, please know that unresponsiveness of a client does not affect it. However, in general, if a contract is canceled, clients have the option to leave public and private feedback which affects your JSS.

The Upwork system takes snapshots of your 3-, 6-, 12- and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score for each. The best score out of these moving time windows is your JSS. So in general, if a contract's feedback falls off that calculation, it may also impact your score. You can check this help article to learn more. 

I would suggest that moving forward, you can try to be more proactive in offering revisions as every client is different. They may not be as communicative as others, so it is best to reach out to them first to accommodate any request or revisions they may have for a better contract outcome.

~ AJ
Upwork
redirable
Community Member

Hello,

I have been working as a freelancer on upwork for a few years. During my career I received very positive feedback from my clients. My success score was established on 89%. However, in the past year I couldn’t take as many jobs as usual. For the last 6 months I didnt start any new task. However, recently my success score dropped to 83%. I do not understand why did that happen, as I didn’t have the opportunity to fail in any way. With 83% success score it will be very hard for me to find any new tasks, even though all the clients I ever worked with evaluated me for 4.5 stars or higher. Could you please let me know what happened to my success score? Best regards

Firstly, I don't think there is a material difference between 83 and 89, I wouldn't worry about that. 

Your JSS can change even if you do absolutely nothing because of the passage of time. You have very few contracts, always a problem, since one contract can have a large impact. Some good feedbacks are older than 24 months, so they have fallen off. Your largest contract has not great feedback, likely with bad private feedback. Since JSS is also weighed by volume, it has the largest impact. 

Thank you for your reply, I understand the impact of my biggest contract, yet my score was almost 90% including the not most favourable note. Is that possible for the score to drop that much just because of passage of time? 
I can't agree about the difference between 89% and 83% - looking at the fact of how many other freelancers I am competing with on every job offer, I think this can affect my chances in a critical way. 
I feel very bad about this situation, as I always try to give my customers everything they need, with my feedbacks proving my words. And yet, the score suggests than 1 among 5 of my customers is not satisfied with my work, which is simply not correct. 
The temporary lack of contracts resulting in lower success score seems harmful to me, as it completely ignores all the good and honest work I have provided for my clients for years.

Once again thank you for your reply, however this whole situation leaves me as bitter as I have never felt in years of working with Upwork.

Best regards

It's just how the calculation works. You need to be diligent to always get feedback on every contract. 

What is your "clients that would recommend you" percentage?

Upwork, calculate the last 12 months' JSS!
it works like 111000111 for 90 + JSS

Maybe in the last year or months! you might have something low star review or other! that's why its dropping

07201b22
Community Member

Hi Upwork team, My client's reviews are mostly five star with only one 4 star review but the thing is Upwork shows a 75% JSS score on my profile which is not good.

Please guide me. 

Hi Farhan,

Thank you for your message. Star ratings are based on public feedback left by clients at the end of a contract as well as the size of those projects. Job Success scores more accurately represent a freelancer’s reputation by taking additional details indicating client satisfaction into consideration. This includes private and public feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. The goal is to capture a breadth of information not necessarily reflected in your star rating or profile. You can learn more about JSS here.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
6be34f82
Community Member

please help me all my customers are happy and i have no negative activities how did my achievement score suddenly drop to the ground

Hey Ayhan,

This happens when a client gives you a lower rating in the Private feedback while gives you a 5*star in your Public rating.

It does happen and can be frustrating.

Be optimistic, try to land a new contract, perform well, the JSS score will improve.

I hope this helps,

with Best regards

Nthuku Wilson.

hi thanks i love upwork and i am happy with all of my clients i think upwork can help me because  i always make direct contracts on upwork and stay in upwork, this success score makes me very sad, i deserve better an upwork moderator please check my account 😞

Hey man, 

Just went to your profile, I believe the JSS score will change after 2 weeks.

I started as Upwork as side hustle on late February this year and landed my first job on 1st March. I didn't get 5star ratings. My JSS score was around 88%.I landed a new contract and my JSS kept soaring to now 100%

I know a low JSS can bruize your motivation, (been there) but be optimistic .

for example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.(the system will refresh)

I can offer a tip that has worked for me,

Try engaging with your client.Most prefarably having a short call before you start your project helps. It will break that  barrier.(Ask the client whether if he/she is comfortable at first ) then have that call. and you will no longer be ''strangers''

Communicate, engage and deliver.

I hope this helps,

With best regards

Nthuku Wilson

095105b2
Community Member

I don't know why my JS score dropped despite ending the last contract with a 5-star review and my open contracts going smoothly.

i have the same problem dude i hope they fix it. upwork mod please check my account 

Alright, buddy. Have you asked questions about this problem? If so, what did they say?

e86088c6
Community Member

I was having a jss of 67% then now it drops to 52 out of no where, I have unclosed contracts does which I have accepted this week, does it affect my jss all three are accepted this week.  I thought unclosed or noffedback contracts doesn't affect a jss

Hi Estifanos,

Thank you for your message. Open contracts do not affect your JSS scores. A freelancer’s Job Success score is a measure of their work and reputation on Upwork based on client feedback and indicators of client satisfaction. It includes their public and private feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. You can read more about the positive and negative indicators that make up your score here

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
4206f43e
Community Member

I have read through comments and explanations; my JSS also dropped to 75 from 90. There is no answer other than "private feed back". I contacted my last client and he said he did not give me bad feedback and told me he is contacting upwork if he is the reason for this drop. So where is the problem?

mahdesignstudio
Community Member

Why is my Upwork profile job success score going down day by day, even though I have all my previous clients with good ratings? Any Suggestions Plse? https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01e19b426f4d8d303a

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 2.56.41 PM.JPG.jpeg

This can be for a few reasons: 

1. Clients left poor private feedback

2. Some of your strong private feedback may have fallen off with time with some poor ones remaining.

It can also be a combination of both

You only have 6 contracts with feedback, 3 of them not good. 

sebastianmrtp
Community Member

I accepted the offer just now, and I haven't been introduced any hour to the timer. Do you know if ending the contract will have a big impact on my JSS score? I am currently at 100%

Hi Sebastian,

I'm sorry for the late reply. Please know that a client may leave feedback on a contract after it ends and this does impact your JSS. You can find more information about feedback here and about what can affect your Job Succes Score here.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
cuddles27
Community Member

Hi all, my job success rate has been on 100% for a long time and I have always gotten 5 stars and great reviews. Today I see it has dropped to 95%. It is not clear to me why this has happened. Please advise. It will be much appreciated.

Hi Lucia,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie, thank you so much for explaining this. All my clients have been so happy so it is a surprise to me that my JSS dropped from 100% - 95% which can impact on receiving invitations etc. If you have any tips on getting back to 100%, please do let me know. Many thanks

dfd2775f
Community Member

How can I fulfill 100% job success rate? I don't know how it decreased.

priyanshurijh
Community Member

My name is Priyanshu and for some reason, my JSS dropped by 3% and don't know what to do next. 
Which is the best course of action for this and what I did do wrong so that I don't do the same mistake twice?

Upwork Profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/priyanshurijhwani

Looking forward to your solutions

Best 
Priyanshu

Hi Priyanshu,

Sorry for the late reply here. Please know that your JSS can change for a number of reasons:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section of this help article.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Community Member

Hello all community members, I wanna ask you all that why my JSS is 69% as I have completed all the jobs with 5 star ratings and good public as well as private feedback. Also asked the clients if they have given me bad private feedback but the have given me good public as well as private feedback.

Please can someone check my account and configure out why my JSS is low and when will get updated.

Please help.

Thanks 

Regards

Satyam

Public feedback, stars and all is not related to your JSS. Private feedback is the most likely reason your score dropped. There are other factors that have to do with job amounts, length, etc. Only Upwork knows the exact formula.

I understand it can be confusing when it seems everything is fine, and then you realize your JSS has dropped, which likely means someone gave you poor private feedback. Some clients don't want to give freelancers bad public feedback for a variety of reasons, but do want it to be known they were not satisfied.

There is no way for you to know the private feedback. Therefore, you don't know what they gave you, but if the JSS dropped, look at the last client(s).

The JSS updates every two weeks on Saturday/Sunday. Look at the My Stats page to find out when it was last updated.

You had a dispute and/or refunded one or more contracts. Client left bad feedback. 

• Yes I had a dispute but that feedback is not showing on my profile
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members