🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: JSS score calculation doesn't make sense
Page options
jderoock
Community Member

JSS score calculation doesn't make sense

Can you please explain why my score is 88%?

I only have one client that has marked 4.7/5 (and that was in 2017) and everyone either is 5 or hasnt provided - so not sure how this is 88%?????

And lastly how can I be held liable or responsible if someone else doesnt do rating? studies show that high numbers of people dont do ratings!

16 REPLIES 16
varungs
Community Member

Private feedback. You can't see it, but it has a sizeable impact on your JSS.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Any insight into the jobs with no feedback?  Was it no written feedback but you received stars?  Did you close them yourself?  That might have done it.  Closing multiple jobs at once without feedback will lower your JSS.  

tta192
Community Member

Your "job" includes educating your clients to leave feedback. Them not doing that is considered a negative aspect on your part and thus lowers your jss.

jderoock
Community Member

So what you are saying even if I educate and leave feedback for a customer, if they dont do it its a bad reflection on me? - as I also ask and show how to leave feedback but it remains their choice!

petra_r
Community Member

Jobs which close without feedback only have any impact on the JSS if there is a huge number / percentage of them.

I could show you a profile with over 80% no feedback contracts and a JSS of 100%

I have yet to see a recent example where "no feedback" contracts have played ANY role in someone's JSS. They used to, but not for a long time.

I'd look at private feedback, or contracts that never led to any earnings (closed, or open for months on end.). Those are almost invariably what is behind a poor JSS

Juan D wrote:

So what you are saying even if I educate and leave feedback for a customer, if they dont do it its a bad reflection on me?

See above. I highly doubt "no feedback" has anything whatsoever to do with your JSS.

Juan D wrote:

I also ask and show how to leave feedback but it remains their choice!

There is never any need to discuss feedback with a client or to "show them how to"

Just encourage clients to close the contract when it's donw. No need to even mention feedback.

There's a lot of confusion around this JSS score and considering UpWork is a public company and they receive payment from Freelancers for the advance or premium account there should be more transparency.  I have 95% of clients recommending me and 95% positive feedback but have a JSS of 80% because of no client feedback or because I choose to close open jobs that clients abandon.  This makes no sense.

Rasheen W wrote:

I have 95% of clients recommending me and 95% positive feedback but have a JSS of 80% because of no client feedback or because I choose to close open jobs that clients abandon.

It isn't - it's all the jobs you never received any money for at all.... 

There are two types of contract that Upwork dislikes - contracts that end with clients that are less than happy, and contracts that fail to lead to any earnings. Or, worst of all, contracts that fail to lead to any earnings and where the clients are less than happy.

So contracts that lead to no earnings EVER, regardless of whether they are closed or have been open for a long time (2+ months) will dink your JSS. They also look suspicious. Especially when there are so many of them.

When 20% of your jobs have never had anything at all paid on them, there's a problem.

So that is another issue, if the client abruptly to no fault of my own, decides to leave the job I'm penalized, that makes no sense.  Numerous clients, given the nature of IT quit the job because sometime the issue just goes away or their internal team resolve it before the contract can officially begin.

Rasheen W wrote:

So that is another issue, if the client abruptly to no fault of my own, decides to leave the job I'm penalized, that makes no sense.  Numerous clients, given the nature of IT quit the job because sometime the issue just goes away or their internal team resolve it before the contract can officially begin.

It's not "another" issue, it's the issue....

It's not that difficult to avoid jobs that never lead to anything ever being paid. 

Given that numerous forums are related to this very subject I'm not sure there's a science around this options, unless freelancers start refusing to apply to new clients or clients with low job fullfillment statistics.  

Rasheen W wrote:

It's important to note that Upwork never represented JSS to mean "How good is this freelancer?" The metric is clearly described as being based on "great outcomes". Closing a contract without any money changing hands is not a great outcome.

Tiffany,

I completely agree, however, I think it comes down to the nature of the work.  For example, many clients I've encountered on Upwork may have an internal resource working on the problem and just can't figure it out and the manager or someone else may post the job and award the job on UpWork, only to find out that the internal resource was able to resolve it the following morning.  Resulting in a stagnant or closed no money job to no fault of my own and no fault of the clients. 

Specific to the financial, there needs to be an automatable way to determine how these scores are exactly calculated because if not they lead to the question of can these scores can be manipulated.  With the rising talent designation, for example, you have the option to remove a bad review thus preserving your score.

Rasheen W wrote:

There's a lot of confusion around this JSS score and considering UpWork is a public company and they receive payment from Freelancers for the advance or premium account there should be more transparency.  I have 95% of clients recommending me and 95% positive feedback but have a JSS of 80% because of no client feedback or because I choose to close open jobs that clients abandon.  This makes no sense.

The trick in this case, in my opinion, is to close them gradually while still completing other contracts. This way you don't have a huge string of no feedback jobs in a row.

I agree there should be more transparency, but at the moment, this is the system we've got, and we have to try to work within this system the best we can.

petra_r
Community Member

Kelly B wrote:

but have a JSS of 80% because of no client feedback or because I choose to close open jobs that clients abandon.  This makes no sense.

The trick in this case, in my opinion, is to close them gradually while still completing other contracts. This way you don't have a huge string of no feedback jobs in a row.

The "no feedback" contracts aren't his problem at all.

The fact that one in every 5 of his contracts results in no earnings is...

If I may quote Tiffany: "The metric is clearly described as being based on "great outcomes". Closing a contract without any money changing hands is not a great outcome."

Clearly, many outcomes with nobody getting paid (meaning people using the site but generating $ 0 revenue for Upwork,) can't by any stretch of the imagination be described as "a great outcome" for anyone.

Hi, I don't know the secrets to jss, but recently my score went down to 83, from 95. I had one old contract that was finished, but we left it open in case my client needed help in a hurry.

I closed it and now my score is 100.

I wish upwork would not penalize for dormant contracts because now its just more of a hassle for my client in case they need quick work, but it is what it is.

I wish upwork would not penalize for dormant contracts because now its just more of a hassle for my client in case they need quick work, but it is what it is.

Your wish is granted, because dormant contracts, provided money was, at some point, paid, do not have a negative effect, especially if you only have one. There was no need for closing that contract.

Chances are your JSS went back up because whatever caused your JSS to fall fell out of the calculation window or was excluded from the calculation (because of client(s) being suspended or deemed to be problematic, so their contracts are taken out of the equation altogether.)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths