Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive client

darrenwall74
Community Leader
Darren w Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
2951 of 5,754

I see, that currently stands at 89%, so could do with some improvement.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2952 of 5,754

Darren w wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that they could be the culprit

Nope. As long as money has been paid under those contracts, they don't hurt your JSS unless you have an insane percentage of such contracts. (I can show you a profile with 85% inactive / no feedback contracts) - But you do have 39 contracts in progress which is high.

Contracts that are open for 2+ months with nothing (!) ever (!) paid, however, do hurt the JSS, as do contracts closed with nothing (!) ever (!) paid and without feedback.

Darren w wrote:

So in an effort to diagnose the problem, I looked at my feedback for that period, and it's all five-star positive.

It isn't. There was one in October, one in July which marked you down for skills and quality, one in May who gave you a couple of 3s - generally that means private feedback wasn't so great.

The stars are more or less meaningless anyway - What matters is private feedback,

Darren w wrote:

could closing them also adversely affect my JSS?

By all means do start closing them, but not all at once. Do it one at a time with contracts that were closed by the clients in the meantime.

You can also write to all those clients (once*!*) asking them if they would mind closing the contract if there is no more work for the time being.

darrenwall74
Community Leader
Darren w Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
2953 of 5,754

Thanks for the detailed response, Petra.

henies
Hcini H Member Since: Jul 23, 2019
2954 of 5,754

Hello good people, I hope you all had a good day
I was working here for 3 months and I'm still working and I'm happy to have this opportunity and I have great feedback and review from my clients, but my JSS drops from 100,98,99,97,95 and now I have 93 and I don't why exactly , all my clients are satisfied and always I delivered the work in time , I read many articles about JSS and i found that open contract affects the JSS , i have some clients that keep the contract open and said: " Looks great! I approved the payment and sent it. I left the contract open for now since we may need additional work later. " ( most of them come back, to be honest, but after two weeks " after calculating the JSS" ) and other clients demand to submit the work for payment, after submitting they didn't come back and upwork approved the payment after 14 days, what I can do ? can I end the contract in this case? is this affect my JSS? and there is another problem I faced sometimes when I worked with bad clients that try to get a lot of extra work for free not mention it in the job description, can I report him or close the contract? , sometimes I spend a lot of time working in his project , after he comes back with other work without activating new milestones and he said " this is a simple work, you can do it in 10 min", in this case, I don't accept, this is unfair and takes a more time than he said and I close the contract and I approved the refund, I'm new here and I'm very close to get "top-rated badge" and I don't want to see my JSS gets drop for some reasons I didn't know it.
I'm waiting for your answers
Thanks
Kind regards
Heni es

robin_hyman
Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
2955 of 5,754
I was working here for 3 months and I'm still working and I'm happy to have this opportunity and I have great feedback and review from my clients, but my JSS drops from 100,98,99,97,95 and now I have 93 and I don't why exactly ,
No such thing as a 100,98,99,97,95.  That's not even a number.  

all my clients are satisfied and always I delivered the work in time , I read many articles about JSS and i found that open contract affects the JSS ,
If you've read the articles, you would know private feedback also affects your JSS.  That's what happened here.  The client gave you good public feedback and for some reason decided not to give you good private feedback.

i have some clients that keep the contract open and said: " Looks great! I approved the payment and sent it. I left the contract open for now since we may need additional work later. " ( most of them come back, to be honest, but after two weeks " after calculating the JSS" ) and other clients demand to submit the work for payment, after submitting they didn't come back and upwork approved the payment after 14 days, what I can do ? can I end the contract in this case? is this affect my JSS?

No need to close the contract for a while.  Supposedly having a few contracts open for a couple of months won't affect your JSS.  But, I would suggest you ask the client to close the contract even if he/she will hire you in the future.  If you have their attention, ask right then and there.  Or it will be forgotten. 

and there is another problem I faced sometimes when I worked with bad clients that try to get a lot of extra work for free not mention it in the job description, can I report him or close the contract? ,

You have to learn how to say no to free work.  The more you work, the more you'll be able to spot clients who want free work from a mile (or thousands of miles) away. Don't close the contract.  Just tell the client what he/she is asking for is not included in the project scope.  You would be happy to do it if you receive $X.  Make sure you manage all expectations up front so this doesn't keep happening to you.

sometimes I spend a lot of time working in his project , after he comes back with other work without activating new milestones and he said " this is a simple work, you can do it in 10 min", in this case, I don't accept, this is unfair and takes a more time than he said and I close the contract and I approved the refund, I'm new here and I'm very close to get "top-rated badge" and I don't want to see my JSS gets drop for some reasons I didn't know it.

Oy.  Just say it wasn't part of the project scope and see above.  You should NOT close the contract.  You should NOT give him a refund for the work you completed.  

Please do a better job at reading the resources available to new freelancers.  
I
taz1004
Ace Contributor
Brian C Member Since: Oct 27, 2019
2956 of 5,754

Then private feedback is a BS system isn't it.  Accused have the right to know and defend.  Especially if it plays such critical role in securing projects.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2957 of 5,754

Hi Brian, 

Private feedback is an additional way for users to share their experience working with each other on a contract honestly and without any external pressure. Unfortunately, the rating system we had previously that was based solely on public feedback could easily be manipulated and this is something we are able to avoid with Job Success score. You can refer to earlier discussions of private feedback in the Community.

You may also read up on this help article for more information on what factors may have affected your Job Success Score. 

~ Avery
Upwork
taz1004
Ace Contributor
2958 of 5,754

As pointed out by many.  That private feedbacks must be verified before being applied to the freelancer doesn't it.  How can someone be accused of something without being notified or being aware?  Or at least be verified or disputed?  Outside pressure?  If the client is truly unhappy, what kind of pressure does he have to prevent saying the truth?  Do you feel pressured to leave 1 star rating on product on Amazon?  Are you scared that seller is going to send you a bomb in the mail?

I came to this board today and immediately saw 4 posts about people losing JSS for no known reason.  You will lose top freelancers and good freelancers will avoid clients who leave low ratings.  You will lose both freelancers and clients.

I have a suggestion.  Hire a freelancer to rethink your system.  Then leave him a private feedback.

cobo-pablo
Pablo C Member Since: Dec 6, 2018
2959 of 5,754

Hi there,

I started in upwork not long ago and so far so good clients were happy and me too.

I had one client that I did not hear from in a long time and then I realised that was affecting JSS. The client did not pay or response to me after a while so I decided to close the contract to see if this would improve my JSS but no, still quite bad.

Is there any way I can improve this? Is it just me or this situation is extremely unfair due to the lack of responsiveness of the client? Is there any way I can let upwork know that I have done my best in order to speak with the client and get the job done?

Thank you for your help.

taz1004
Ace Contributor
2960 of 5,754

Hey I have similar issue with unfair rating.  Unfortunately, Upwork wont do anything and just about only thing you can do is not use Upwork anymore.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS