Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4811 of 5,249

Luca S wrote:

sorry if I've to insist, but on that Score argument there're a lot of question/doubts pending on the previous page of this thread.

Luca, there is really nothing anybody can tell you that you haven't already been told. 

Once you can see your private feedback percentage on your My Stats page, you'll be able to work out what's what better.

While you still have so few jobs, anything and everything has a significant impact for better or for worse. Choose your clients carefully, stay away from cheapskates, keep completing contracts with great outcomes, that's all you can do and all any of us can do. 

And just so you understand: Anyone who is not marked as an Upwork employee does not work for Upwork and does not have access to the backend of your account. Such people are also involved in the forum in their spare time. They do not owe you responses.

Highlighted
Luca S Member Since: Apr 29, 2020
4812 of 5,249

Petra, I apologize again for my insistence, and I fully understand that you don't owe me a response, but it's not true that everything was answered, and if you're not the one that has to give us those informations, please tell me who is, because the email assistance, as already explained, is giving us different info that creates even more confusion.

The MyStat page doesn't really tell me anything new, and doesn't explain the decrease at all.

To resume:
- I had a 85% score after losing the Rising Talent badge. I asked why, and I was said it was for open contracts (you said then that this is not a factor).
- I've contacted the clients, they were inactive and unresponsive, so I've closed the contracts by myself.
- The score has gone down to 84%, and I was told that the excessive lack of feedbacks was the cause this time. (and again, you said this is not a factor)
- You suggested that a decrease on the score could be only for two reason: unpaid contracts (that I don't have) or negative private feedbacks (clients were inactive and unresponsive, so I highly doubt they could have make that feedback)
- What's the reason of the decrease then?

Do you understand that every answer contradict the previous one, and that's a great amount of misinformation and confusion, right? Other freelancers expressed similar doubts multiple times.
I think we've the right to know how it works as it affects our job here, and in my case why the score has decreased, because:
- I'm pretty sure there's been an error, or at least something that was not explained properly.
- It's affecting my job and life everyday. I had a lot of good jobs before, and since the score appeared, I'm only wasting money on connects with no hope to be hired.

If you're not the one that could answer that, please just tell me who is. Thanks again.

(P.S. I also don't understand why freelancers score is affected so much by private feedbacks, something that we can't even control, but then when the freelancer have to choose a job/client, could only see the high % public feedbacks, not the private ones, so we have no idea of which ones are good clients, and which one not. Wasting a lot of connects for clients that probably will not answer or are not a good fit. If there's a way to freelancers to know that clients score and I'm missing it, I would like to know where is it)
Highlighted
Community Guru
4813 of 5,249

Luca S wrote:

Luca, you only have 2 out of 7 contracts that ended with no feedback. That isn't excessive. There are people with well over half (most I've seen was 80% of no feedback contracts) and 100% JSS.

That simply brings me back to private feedback, which is what drives the JSS first and foremost.

Oce you've completed a couple more contracts you'll be able to see your private feedback percentage under "Clients who would recommend me" on your My Stats page.

I said "in almost all cases" it's either private feedback or unpaid contracts. 

Also, because you have so few contracts overall, you can very quickly get back to or above 90% - all it'll take is a couple more great outcomes.

Highlighted
Luca S Member Since: Apr 29, 2020
4814 of 5,249

Petra R wrote:

Luca, you only have 2 out of 7 contracts that ended with no feedback. That isn't excessive. There are people with well over half (most I've seen was 80% of no feedback contracts) and 100% JSS.

That simply brings me back to private feedback, which is what drives the JSS first and foremost.

Also, because you have so few contracts overall, you can very quickly get back to or above 90% - all it'll take is a couple more great outcomes.

A lot of good explanations, thanks, and I was already said that I had a 85% score because of private negative feedback, I've accepted that even if no client has shown any concern publicly.

But after that, there were no more negative private ones (unresponsive), or the score would have dropped even more. So the decrease make no sense after I've done what was suggested. That's what I would like to be checked, but I don't know how.

About the private ones: if a client has made an error while rating, we (freelancers) have no way to verify it, and it affects us a lot. At the same time, why we can't see the private feedbacks about the clients, as asked last time? That way, freelancers would have the possibility to choose clients more wisely, avoid bad ones, and don't waste connects on bad projects. If the private feedback system is so important for the freelancers JSS, that should work both ways, but clients seems to be all 5 stars because we can only verify the public rate.

Finally, it's easy to say that we need just a couple more good contracts to change the score, but since that score was up in place of the Rising Talent badge, the chance to be hired has dropped so much that I wasn't hired anymore, even if I've used a ton of connects. It's a very hard to improve that way, and that's the reason why I'm insisting that much on that decrease/low %.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4815 of 5,249

Luca S wrote:

A lot of good explanations, thanks, and I was already said that I had a 85% score because of private negative feedback, I've accepted that even if no client has shown any concern publicly.

Well, then you have your answer.

Luca S wrote: But after that, there were no more negative private ones (unresponsive), or the score would have dropped even more.

No, because that percentage only updates after every several contracts.

Luca S wrote: About the private ones: if a client has made an error while rating, we (freelancers) have no way to verify it, and it affects us a lot. At the same time, why we can't see the private feedbacks about the clients, as asked last time? That way, freelancers would have the possibility to choose clients more wisely, avoid bad ones, and don't waste connects on bad projects. If the private feedback system is so important for the freelancers JSS, that should work both ways, but clients seems to be all 5 stars because we can only verify the public rate.

Look, we have the same client pond. You just need to learn to fish very carefully. There are great clients out there, you do, however, need to develop a very finely tuned sense for what kind of client will be problematic, and also to read between lines while communicating with the client during the contract, so you can catch subtle signs of someone not being 100% thrilled.

Especially when you are just starting out. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4816 of 5,249

Luca S wrote:

Petra, I apologize again for my insistence, and I fully understand that you don't owe me a response, but it's not true that everything was answered, and if you're not the one that has to give us those informations, please tell me who is, because the email assistance, as already explained, is giving us different info that creates even more confusion.

The MyStat page doesn't really tell me anything new, and doesn't explain the decrease at all.

To resume:
- I had a 85% score after losing the Rising Talent badge. I asked why, and I was said it was for open contracts (you said then that this is not a factor).
- I've contacted the clients, they were inactive and unresponsive, so I've closed the contracts by myself.
- The score has gone down to 84%, and I was told that the excessive lack of feedbacks was the cause this time. (and again, you said this is not a factor)
- You suggested that a decrease on the score could be only for two reason: unpaid contracts (that I don't have) or negative private feedbacks (clients were inactive and unresponsive, so I highly doubt they could have make that feedback)

Do you understand that every answer contradict the previous one, and that's a great amount of misinformation and confusion, right? Other freelancers expressed similar doubts multiple times.
I think we've the right to know how it works as it affects our job here, and in my case why the score has decreased, because:
- I'm pretty sure there's been an error, or at least something that was not explained properly.
- It's affecting my job and life everyday. I had a lot of good jobs before, and since the score appeared, I'm only wasting money on connects with no hope to be hired.

If you're not the one that could answer that, please just tell me who is. Thanks again.

(P.S. I also don't understand why freelancers score is affected so much by private feedbacks, something that we can't even control, but then when the freelancer have to choose a job/client, could only see the high % public feedbacks, not the private ones, so we have no idea of which ones are good clients, and which one not. Wasting a lot of connects for clients that probably will not answer or are not a good fit. If there's a way to freelancers to know that clients score and I'm missing it, I would like to know where is it)

How do you control public feedback? Clients get to have an opinion. You are expected to perform well enough that their opinion of you is high, regardless of what you do or do not know about them. It's a freelance platform. Your performance is being judged and you are not going to be able to control the outcome. You should consider these facts before deciding if you want to spend money on connects and bid on jobs. 

Close your contracts, don't close your contracts. Make a decision and deal with the outcome.  

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sameed A Member Since: Nov 7, 2019
4817 of 5,249

Hello,

From the Last 2-3 Weeks I have lost the Rising Talent badge neither am I getting my JSS Score which makes me less relatable to the Clients, I don't know why this is Happening!

Highlighted
Community Guru
4818 of 5,249

Sameed A wrote:

I don't know why this is Happening!

The poor feedback on one of your contracts cost you your RT badge and will hit your JSS, when you get one, very hard.

You want to aggressively try to get some contracts finished perfectly asap, because a poor JSS will be worse than no JSS at all, so you want to dilute that poor feedback as much as you can before you get a JSS.

There is also no point asking essentially the same question over and over and opening a new thread every time.

Highlighted
Kripanshu K Member Since: Aug 2, 2020
4819 of 5,249

My JSS (Job Success Score) before 2 weeks was 94 % and from then it has fallen to 86 %(constant). They were no negative feedback from any of my clients, my earnings were constant and I even completed 3-4 contracts with a 5-star rating. We all freelances work very hard to maintain the Job Success Score and I don't know what exactly is going with my profile. Any kind of help is appreciated. Secondly, I am not able to change my profile name from Kripanshu K. to Kripanshu Kumar. There an option in the profile setting where I can choose which name to show, even when I select a complete name the profile remains the same.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4820 of 5,249

Kripanshu K wrote:

My JSS (Job Success Score) before 2 weeks was 94 % and from then it has fallen to 86 %(constant). 

On your "My Stats" page, what does it say for "Clients who would recommend me?" (That's essentially your "private feedback JSS")

The star rating is pretty much eye-candy only. Private feedback is what drive the JSS.

Kripanshu K wrote:

Secondly, I am not able to change my profile name from Kripanshu K. to Kripanshu Kumar. There an option in the profile setting where I can choose which name to show, even when I select a complete name the profile remains the same.

That is how it is meant to be. Everyone's profile only shows the initial.

The setting if for google searhes (if someone searches your full name, your profile comes up when set to "full name"

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS