🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job Success Score dropped
Page options
9bf545e3
Community Member

Job Success Score dropped

Hello,

I believe there's been a mistake made in the calculation of my job success score. It was previously at 78% and I just successfully completed two jobs were I was given good feedbacks and a five star rating. Yet, after my account was updated on the 29th, it dropped to 74%. I've been working hard to get my JSS back to 80% and I believe there's been a mistake. What do I do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Rita,

Thank you for your message. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

572 REPLIES 572

Hi Jay,

I'm sorry to hear about your score drop. We're afraid we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this article.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
6f562fff
Community Member

My profile was top rated and  i had  100% jss on my profile at that time the total earning was about 1k+$ , then a client give me a 4 star ratting on 650$ and my jss decreases to 76% after that i ended two big projects of 1150+$ and 350+$  with 5 star review and total earning approached to 2k+$ and it is three months ago story now after jss update offfcially announces but my JSS stucked on 81% , and i am not able to discuss it on support as chatbot is not responding well. 

8b9f619c
Community Member

If you believe there's been a mistake in your job success score calculation, you should reach out to the platform's support team or customer service. Provide them with specific details about the jobs you completed successfully, including the feedback and ratings you received. They should be able to investigate the issue and provide you with clarification or assistance in resolving the discrepancy.

cabb58a1
Community Member

Recently, I noticed that my rating, which was previously 100%, has been affected. Despite my best efforts to maintain a high standard of work and client satisfaction, my rating has decreased, and I am unsure of the reason behind this change.

Maintaining a positive rating on Upwork is crucial for me as it directly impacts my opportunities to secure new projects and sustain my livelihood. Therefore, I kindly request your assistance in investigating the matter and restoring my rating to its previous status, if possible.

I am committed to upholding the standards set by Upwork and providing quality service to clients. Your prompt attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

brianbautista
Community Member

Please help.

A recent client offered me a job and the job went well initially. After some time he is requesting me to go to a site and follow his instructions. Upon my observation the site is a phishing site and wants to access my computer via Trojan or whatnot. I immediately told him that I will not do what he asks for. He then threatens me bad mouting me. I said I will report him but all of a sudden he ended the contract.

Upwork noticed this and he was banned already, I didn't got paid on the work I have done and what sad is he left me a bad private feedback that affected mny JSS. 

Can someone from support help me remove that feedback. It didn't reflect on my profile but it still affected my JSS. Please do something about this.

PS: I have the details like contract ID and screenshots (luckily) because I think the system removed also our conversations in the inbox messages.

Hi Brian,

I'm very sorry to learn about your experience with the client, and thank you for being cautious. I want to assure you that if one of your clients has been previously flagged (or has been suspended for Terms of Service violations), their feedback will not count against your JSS. 

While we won't be able to go into details on specific changes in your score, you can find more information on how your JSS is calculated in this article

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Thanks Luiggi for that fast response. Will check on that article asap. 

You said that it will not affect my JSS but surely it affects my JSS. How would it be reversed then and when?

0a6c8377
Community Member

Recently my jss score dropped from a 100 to 88, in the meantime I only completed two contracts on Upwork one for a longterm client and the contract is still open, and in the other there were a miscommunication problem and the client asked for a refund but we resolved the problems and he paid me and was satisfied with the results. after my jss got down to 88 I contaced The support service to remove the job with the refund problem from affecting my jss but a week later and my jss is still 88 and I lost my top rated badge.

From the previous posts here I know that the open contracts does not affect my jss and I don't know why the Jss didn't change at all.  Feels very discouraging after waiting 14 weeks for the top rated badge to lose it on a minor misscomunication that was eventualy resolved.

Please let me know if you had a similar situation and what should i do

geno_caasi
Community Member

Hello,

I have been in Upwork for almost a decade and a top rated freelancer, I couldn't imagine this would happen to me.

Last 2 weeks I'm trying to check new post job suddenly I notice that in a job post requires a JOB SCORE of 90% of a freelancer.

Can you please explain to me how this possible i have been a top rated for so long in Upwork.

Hi Geno,

I'm sorry to learn about your score drop. I'm afraid that we won't be able to comment on someone's score or how specific contracts affect it. In general, your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this article.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
dbcb8c87
Community Member

Has anyone had this happen to them? I had a consistent 98 jss for a long time. Then when I checked my profile on a Monday it was 83. I went through all recent reviews and nothing stood out that was too concerning. I heard that if you have clients that you are not billing that can hurt your jss. I had roughly 15 clients that we had a open contract for when they needed occasional as needed work. I heard that will affect your jss. I tried to reach out to upwork to discuss and no one would help. This is extremely frustrating and devastating given that prior to that I was receiving 25-35 % of interviews on proposals and on average 6 invites a day. Now I'm down to zero invites and 5% interviews. I spend A LOT of money on connects, fees, boosting, and my client account each month and I feel that does not matter to them at all. Any insight and feedback would be appreciated.  https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/dustymumaugh 

My jss has also dropped! I've just started to work on Upwork and Completed my jobs Successfully All of the clients were satisfied and have on going 3 more projects, But still my jss dropped to 57%, now its effecting me very badly not matter how many proposal I send out, No many how many work proofs I provide, I'm unable to progress. And this will effect my credibility to earn top rated badge. How can I counter this problem?

d617befe
Community Member

i have not been active on Upwork until lately i completed a small job that went very smoothly, for some reason today i found my jss dropped ( i still hold my top rated badge), the last job has been paid but its still marked as in progress because i did not end it. can i use the top rated to remove the bad rating although i dont know where it came from ?

370e0cdc
Community Member

Hi evetyone 

thank you to your attention to my case

I am shocked because my JSS crashed from 100% to 50%. I could not find a reason - there were no new reviews and I started one new contract (It is in the process).
Please help me to understand what happened. I mean I never saw someone with such a low rate. I've been following all the rules and had mostly nice reviews. Can it be a mistake? It looks incorrigibly and I will never find new clients with such a low rate

Hope to hear from you

Kindly, Katya

That 2.10 review is enough to do it. 

Its a $50 project. 

No feedback is left on projects that give refunds. 

Best of luck. 

ok, but why did I have 100% jss 2 weeks ago? I received those bad review in October. My jss was 67%. then I started working on my profile and new orders and received 100%. There were no new completed orders or reviews since I received 100% jss

Could you please explain me more these moments, I do not understand what do you mean:

'Its a $50 project.

'No feedback is left on projects that give refunds. '

9cc2558d
Community Member

I recently experienced a significant drop in my Job Success Score (JSS) to 82%. Last week, I completed a project within a tight deadline for a client who, due to some misunderstandings, was not fully satisfied with the work delivered. The client remained dissatisfied and concluded the contract with a low review of 3.25. Before this incident, my JSS was at 100%, and I was recognized as a rising talent.

In an attempt to mitigate the impact of this review, I refunded the payment, hoping to maintain my JSS and Rising Talent badge, as the job would be excluded from my public profile. However, I was disappointed to find that my JSS still dropped to 82%, and I lost the badge. Given that I have approximately six other 5-star feedbacks, the significant decrease seems disproportionate for a single 3.25-star feedback. I believe this drop is unjust and would like to understand more about how this could have happened, considering the private feedback system and its implications.

Hi Kaleem,

Please know that your Job Success Score is calculated on rolling windows, and the highest score in this rolling window is your Job Success Score. Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how JSS is calculated here.
~ Joanne
Upwork
8b4f8ca7
Community Member

Dear Upwork Community,

I am writing to urgently address the loss of my Top Rated Badge and a significant decrease in my Job Success Score (JSS) following an encounter with a fake client on Upwork. Despite reporting the fraudulent activity, I have observed an unfair penalty affecting my profile.

The job with the fraudulent client was closed without a review, yet my Top Rated Badge was revoked and my JSS decreased from 100 to 79. This outcome is unjust, as I took necessary actions to maintain the integrity of the platform. I kindly request your assistance in reinstating my Top Rated Badge and restoring my JSS to its previous standing.

Furthermore, guide me If I have done anything wrong so that I will take care in future and please provide guidance on any additional steps I can take to safeguard against similar situations in the future. Your prompt attention to this matter is greatly appreciated, as it directly impacts my ability to secure future opportunities and maintain my reputation on Upwork. Thank you for your assistance and understanding.

Best regards,

Sharif

Hi Sharif,

I can see that you already submitted a support ticket to our team. One of our agents has responded, and you can find the information here

~ Joanne
Upwork
e4c46e96
Community Member

Hi there! I recently had a contract open for about a month now with no active milestone and my job success score had dropped to 85% from 100% I also lost my rising talent badge, I have closed the contract now, I need to know if the job success score will be updated and I will also get my badge back. Thanks

Closing the inactive contract may positively impact your Job Success Score, but it depends on your overall performance. Regaining the Rising Talent badge also depends on your activity and performance. Keep engaging with clients and delivering quality work to improve your metrics.

0a0f8f2f
Community Member

Hi Upwork community, I totally agree I haven't had the best time on upwork and sometime when I was starting like two years ago I got a bad review.

However, my JSS dropped unexpectedly to 73% and it's suck there, sometime this year around February it did shoot to 100 even without me completing any new contracts, then even after getting 3 5star reviews it again dropped to 73%.

Maybe I may not get the 100 but 73 just doesn't make sense, I wasn't expecting anything below 88%. I really don't understand what to do next and it's a bit frustrating.

Maybe someone who understands this better can help me understand.

Here is a link to my profile, https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/ambroseahawo

Accept it as-is. Crazy calculation is realy crazy. Maybe it is random. An couple of days ago my JSS dropped for 3% with bad feedback for job with a little amount. Upwork lying that it must be drop for 0.1% - 0.2%. So public description of JSS calculation is dummy.

And they didn't count my 5 job what about that jss impact? May be 5 star those 

when I got 5 star nothing change in jss but one law rate review affect if that can affect why good reviews can't increase jss if there calculations works in proportion so

Hi Ambrose,

I'm sorry to learn about the unexpected drop in your score. Please know that the Upwork system takes snapshots of your 3-, 6-, 12- and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score for each. The best score out of these moving time windows is your JSS. 

That said, your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

~ Arjay
Upwork
0a0f8f2f
Community Member

I understand that, my biggest puzzle is that, if I take a honest look at all those periods mentioned, 73% is a big lie, it may not be 100 but 73 seems misscalculated. The very worst would have been 88%. 

da49c8fb
Community Member

Hi Rita ❤

To address the discrepancy in your job success score, you should promptly contact the support team or customer service of the platform you're using. Provide them with specific details about the two recently completed jobs where you received positive feedback and five-star ratings. Explain that despite these successful outcomes, your job success score dropped instead of increasing. They should investigate the issue and help you rectify any mistakes in the calculation of your score.

71f74353
Community Member

The reason I'm reporting this error to support is because there's a problem with my account related to the job success rate. I have completed three tasks so far and one is currently in progress. Two tasks received 5 stars and the third received 4.55 stars. However, on April 14th, the job success rate suddenly dropped to 67%. I don't know the reason. I'm sorry, but could you please review my account and resolve this issue?
Warm regards

b18fc5ad
Community Member

Dear Upwork Staff,

I previously had a 100% JSS and I really work hard on keeping them. But this morning I got 100% dropped to 65% without any reasons. Could you help me to take a look and fix it? I got most of my jobs completed with 5 start review and only one of them is marked as 4.6 start. That can't be so low with a 65% JSS. Please help me

8eb0b816
Community Member

Hello, Kind Upwork Community,
Yesterday, I have job success score badg, but result was not good with 76%.
I have worked 3 project for one client with 5 stars and good reviews.
Also I have worked next project for another client with 5 stars and good reviews.
By the way, My third client gave me 5 stars with no given feedback, also he chosen the "communication is long" in review windows. As a result, I have 4.55 stars for my third client.
I have calculated the success score with only stars.
About 3 clients, (5+5+4.55)/3/5 = 14.55/3/5=4.85/5=0.97.
97%.
What is the mistake with my calculation style?
Also, except stars, what effect for job success score?
This is my desired answer.
Please help me if you know anything.
Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,
Artem

You missed at least private feedbacks (xx\10) and amounts in your calculation. 

But noone know real calculation. Upwork never share this.

Thank you for your reply.
By the way, is freelancer possible too to give the private feeback?
Thanks

Sure. x\5 public and x\10 private. It is at same page. Private first then public.

mazharbhuj
Community Member

Hello,

Hope you're doing well. I noticed that my JSS dropped on the last evaluation, which shocked me. There was no negative feedback on my projects, and I am also entertaining my ongoing clients very well. Also, no such activities are involved that could reflect my JSS. I request team Upwork to kindly review this issue, as I've also lost my Top-rated badge which I earned last month. I am missing out on some jobs due to this.

I am hoping for a positive response from your end. 

thank you!

Hi Azhar,

I'm sorry to learn about the drop in your score. I'm afraid that we won't be able to comment on someone's score or how specific contracts affect it. However, please know that your Job Success Score is calculated on rolling windows, and the highest score in this rolling window is your Job Success Score.

Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how JSS is calculated here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
96ba4c0e
Community Member

Hello, I'm Babar Sultan, and I'm currently experiencing an issue with my JSS (Job Success Score). About three months ago, one of my clients gave me a review with 5 stars, and another with a ranking of 4.35. Additionally, one project from another client was canceled, resulting in my JSS dropping to 78%. Recently, I've received five reviews, all with a ranking of 5 stars. Three of these projects are still in progress, and two have been completed. However, despite these positive reviews, there hasn't been any improvement in my JSS.
I have attached screenshots.

I also curious to know...when I complete 2-3 5 star job nothing change with jss but non Upwork client's refund affect my jss and after that it's not increase that much...and support always told me there are private feedback affect and fact is those give me 5 star that same client rehire me and work with long term...sometime it's looks like a bug my eligible week on weekend change twice on same day...how? So I am also curious how this algorithm of jss is working and how calculations is going on

waqas-php-expert
Community Member

Hello!

My JSS was dropped from 100% to 86% after the contract which a Client closed, nothing was charged it was closed right at the spot, and I was also top-rated at that time, Unfortunately, I was busy with some personal issues, and could not able to pursue that, 2 weeks ago I delivered work to 3 clients and closed their contracts and I got 5-star rating but there is a 0 impact on my JSS why is that? it is still the same

I would request you to please solve this issue, as I am looking for new projects but with this JSS I am not sure I will get a project easily,

Regards

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members