🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job that I have applied for has been removed.
Page options
e2aba01f
Community Member

Job that I have applied for has been removed.

Actually, I have already started on the work as they have messaged me through Upwork and Telegram (I just read that all communication should be on Upwork). I am unsure how to proceed. The employer has just reinvited me into the chatroom on Upwork. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
the-right-writer
Community Member

If the job was removed by Upwork, they had good reason and didn't want the client doing business, which means they violated the Terms of Service. Any time the client wants you on Telegram or other messaging service before a contract, it is a scam. Clients that are new or confused will ask how things should be done, not insist on using an outside messaging app. 

Upwork removed this client's job once, do not work with them now. I do not believe this was just a confused client. Upwork does not remove jobs without a violation.

Because you are new and yet to get a first job, you are at high risk of being scammed. Please read this post.

Follow every link, and pay special attention to the post from Wes on the Top Red Flags. The post explains in detail how scammers function and manipulate freelancers into losing money and time. Unfortunately, there are scammers who will take advantage of you and other new freelancers.

You have to learn how to protect yourself, because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
elisa_b
Community Member

What do you mean you already started the work - do you have an active contract?

I don't know, but client contacting you on Telegram + their job posting removed = smells like a scammer to me

the-right-writer
Community Member

If the job was removed by Upwork, they had good reason and didn't want the client doing business, which means they violated the Terms of Service. Any time the client wants you on Telegram or other messaging service before a contract, it is a scam. Clients that are new or confused will ask how things should be done, not insist on using an outside messaging app. 

Upwork removed this client's job once, do not work with them now. I do not believe this was just a confused client. Upwork does not remove jobs without a violation.

Because you are new and yet to get a first job, you are at high risk of being scammed. Please read this post.

Follow every link, and pay special attention to the post from Wes on the Top Red Flags. The post explains in detail how scammers function and manipulate freelancers into losing money and time. Unfortunately, there are scammers who will take advantage of you and other new freelancers.

You have to learn how to protect yourself, because no one, including Upwork, will do it for you.

HI my name is Amin, I am new here @upwork community I need someone to put me through so that I can catch up on getting jobs done.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Loke,

Report this scam while on the prospect's post and click the Flag as Inappropriate. Avoid any prospect that is not following Upwork's Terms of Service. I have seen these Telegram scams before - avoid and report. Have a great day!

9a5c5896
Community Member

Hi Loke, I think we have the same experience. I am also new here at UPWORK and the client messages me to contact them via Telegram. I'm already working on the project that they send me and before that the client send me a file that contains Instructions, Terms, and Conditions,  there is also a note that they don't pay salaries via Upwork or any freelance platforms. So, now I am not sure if I will continue the job. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members