cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jss is droping while earnings and five star feedback is rising !!

Andreas M Member Since: Jan 21, 2019
1 of 7

Hello community,

My name is Andreas ,i am a graphic designer and i am fairly new to upwork  site.

i started a couple of months ago ,almost right away i became a rising talent and after a while 

i started getting jobs .The first month or so i got 1k+ earnings.

My jss was 100% untill 3 days ago when i noticed that it droped to 88% for no aparent reason.

All my feedback is 5 star ,except from one that is 3 star .i have also some jobs that the client left no feedback  and some contracts that i canceled cause the clients were either rude or did not know 

what they were looking for.

Is it  possiible for an expert to take a look in my profile and tell me why my jss dropped down so much  while my earnings and feedback is rising?

Here is the link to my profile https://www.upwork.com/fl/amotsios

Maybe i am missing something here as i told you already i am a "noob" in the upwork community,

but i want to fix that issue  and make sure that  my jss  will get back in the right track ,which for me is over 95%

Also i need to understand  what i did wrong resulting in this huge drop of the jss ,

so that this will never happen again in  the future.

Any tips on how to achieve that would be much appreciated .

Thank you for taking the time to read this..

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
2 of 7

Your JSS could be affected by a number of reasons. The 3 star feedback is public, but you don't know how they rated you in the Private feedback. Private feedback has an affect on your JSS. Also contracts closed without payment can also have a negative affect especially if there's more then 1. Aside from that, it's a mystery how Upworks algorithm calculates a JSS score. 

3 of 7

Thank you for your reply Kathy,

yes i have more than one closed contracts with no payements 

So what am i suppose to do when a client becomes rude or has unrealistic expectations out of me??

rather than close the contract ,refund the money and move on ??

no i dont like this jSS thing.specially the private feedback .

so lets say is it possible for a client to leave a public 5 star feedback and a one star private fedback?

in this case which one is counted?

Also is it possible one 3 star review to affect more than 7 5star feedback??

i am paying 1/5 of my eanings to upwork  including my bonuses !!!!

i think i deserve to know why this is happening .

Thank you 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 7

Andreas M wrote:

Thank you for your reply Kathy,

yes i have more than one closed contracts with no payements 

So what am i suppose to do when a client becomes rude or has unrealistic expectations out of me??

rather than close the contract ,refund the money and move on ??

The JSS is the percentage of contracts that resulted in a great customer experience.  When you walk out of a contract that does not count as "a great customer experience" - You can avoid such contracts by choosing your clients very carefully.

Andreas M wrote:

Also is it possible one 3 star review to affect more than 7 5star feedback??

i am paying 1/5 of my eanings to upwork  including my bonuses !!!!

i think i deserve to know why this is happening .

Thank you 

Of course not, but when you look at the overall body of your work,  you had 9 contracts with feedback, one of which was (clearly) a negative outcome.

If you work out the percentages of your contracts that count as unsuccessful (poor feedback and the ones you walked out of) that gives you an idea why your JSS is where it is.

When you have relatively few outcomes, every single one can have a dramatic effect on your JSS because it is a percentage-based metric.

5 of 7

Hello Petra,

Thank you for your reply..

So a 3 star review in your opinion counts as  a CLEARLY negative review?

i would rather say its a medium review but definitely not a negative one

1 negative review VS 9 great reviews = Bad JSS

And i did not walked out of the other contracts ,i chose to stop colaboration cause they were rude and offensive with no clear vision of what they were loking for .

Anyway thank you for your valuable info .

i just need to choose my customers more carefully ,i will try to do so in the future..

Thank you for the tips you gave me

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 7

Andreas M wrote:

Hello Petra,

Thank you for your reply..

So a 3 star review in your opinion counts as  a CLEARLY negative review?

Not necessarily but hand on heart, would you describe that contract as "a great (!) experience" considering the public feedback and the fact you gave the client 1 star? Chances are it went with poor private feedback.

Andreas M wrote:

1 negative review vs 9 great reviews = Bad JSS

No. Think simple maths.  88% is not "Bad JSS" but one out of 9 contracts counts as over 10% of all contracts with feedback. AVOID "nothing paid" contracts at all cost. They hurt your JSS. Choose clients carefully, make sure you clarify expectations before accepting a contract, and manage the relationship all the way through.

7 of 7

Now everything is more clear to me ...

Thank you very much Petra

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS