Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level of expertise?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
1 of 28

Hi,

Does anyone know what determines your level of expertise? I am curious as I was just going through a job I once applied where it said the client wants Expert level. Although I am fairly new on Upwork I am very confident in my writing and I think my profile is slowly building my reputation. I wrote excellent application (I am so modest) and I provided the best sample I had.

I have noticed that this client has engaged several people for his job, some of them charging $25 dollars. And really their profiles are very good. However, there is one guy who has less experience than me, fewer hours, less of basically everything but a higher rate and he still got the job over me. As far as I can see the client doesn’t really mind paying more for the “most experienced freelancer”.

Don’t get me wrong I am not jealous but I am trying to realize whether my rate determines my level of expertise and what would an Expert have as a price. I am just worried that due to the filtering that Upwork has the client never got to see my application because “I am not an expert”.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
2 of 28

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know what determines your level of expertise? 

Hi Aleksandra -- no we don't. In fact not even Upwork knows it. We've been promised more information about 3 weeks ago by the mods, but Valeria was kind enough to let us know this weekend that they're still working on figuring it out. Stay tuned.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 28

To me, your rate of $10 an hour immediately says you are not a native english speaker, not a professional freelancer writer and basically trying to undercut people. 

If you can write at a professional level and as good as a native English speaker then you should be charging for that. $10 just says you're not that good. If I was looking to hire someone and saw that I would pass you by. Charge what you are worth. I would raise it to $15-$20.

That being said, I would immediately clean up the grammar errors in your profile. I see many simple grammar errors that a native speaker would not make, and aftter looking at that grammar and your test scores I would seriously wonder if you cheated on the tests.

Your profile says you have had 10 jobs but only 5 are showing...what happened to the other 5?

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 28

Hi Jean,

And I thought I was charging a lot!

Please let me know where you see grammatical errors on my profile, as I am not able to see any, but that is maybe because I have read the description so many times.

I am offended by the fact that you think I’ve cheated on any of the tests. If you know a way how to cheat on them please let me know as I want to be 1st place instead of being among 10%. I believe my score is due to the degree in English language I have. I wasn’t cheating there and I am not cheating now.

In relation to the difference in the number of jobs, I have no explanation for that, as I really don’t know. I am guessing it has something to do with the clients and their privacy.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
5 of 28

I have graduated in English Language and Literature at the State University. I have strong language skills and am able to write unique and catchy content on a variety of topics. I have, depending on the level of research required, a quick turnaround and produce high-quality articles. I am also a diligent worker able to tackle each assignment in a highly-efficient manner and with great enthusiasm. 

Wish I hadn't done this, someone will find fault in my corrections, no doubt.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 28

Ramon,

Thank you for your suggestions. Looking at your version I must agree it sounds better. But hey no two people can write the same thing in the exact same way Smiley Very Happy I will think of something to reword my description.

The funny thing is that my profile was not even the issue here. But I am willing to accept every good advice.

Thank you! Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
7 of 28

I graduated from the State University aftery studying English Language and Literature.

I posses strong English language skills and can write truly unique content on a variety of topics.

I provide clients quality articles with a quick turnaround, depending on the level of research required articles.

I am a diligent worker who enjoys providing high quality content on every job I undertake.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 28

Jean

Thank you for pointing out the things you feel I need to change. I value your input. I will reword my description in order to make it more appealing.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 28

He might have less experience on Upwork, but perhaps he has had experience elsewhere. He also might have added some good and relevant samples to his proposal.

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 28

Thank you Nichola.

I just wanted to know whether my rate determines the level of expertise. I wasn’t trying to say he is not good, but I wanted to know what makes him an expert (or anyone else) Smiley Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS