🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » LinkedIn messages
Page options
exectric
Community Member

LinkedIn messages

I keep getting people from outside the US contacting me to create an upwork account, and they want to work on my behalf, is this legal?

Thank you guys for your replies, I just wanted to verify my own assumptions as I continue to tell these people on LinkedIn no.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Preston H wrote:

Alex, you already know that you shouldn't be involved in that kind of thing. Block those people. Ignore such requests.

Of course if you were caught by Upwork participating in any of that, you would probably be banned from Upwork permanently.

Considering that the OP doesn't currently have an Upwork profile and isn't necessarily interested in freelancing at all, this threat may not carry much weight. I'd be more worried about having strangers commit fraud in my name, and potentially being charged with tax evasion.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Alex O wrote:
I keep getting people from outside the US contacting me to create an upwork account, and they want to work on my behalf, is this legal?

It is probably not illegal in the sense you could go to prison for it.

But according to upwork ToS, it is strictly forbidden. 

Martina P wrote:

Oh, I don't know - I think that it's possible to go to prison for fraud.

Christine A wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Thank you for the reminder, Christine. This is actually very true. 

Martina P wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Thank you for the reminder, Christine. This is actually very true. 

Yeah, also the tax evasion part. I think we all often forget it's not just ethic or Upwork TOS. There are legal implications. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Alex, you already know that you shouldn't be involved in that kind of thing. Block those people. Ignore such requests.

Of course if you were caught by Upwork participating in any of that, you would probably be banned from Upwork permanently.

Preston H wrote:

Considering that the OP doesn't currently have an Upwork profile and isn't necessarily interested in freelancing at all, this threat may not carry much weight. I'd be more worried about having strangers commit fraud in my name, and potentially being charged with tax evasion.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members