Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Long Term Client

luiggi_rosado
Luiggi R Moderator Member Since: Jul 3, 2020
11 of 17

Hi Jacobus,

As mentioned in an earlier reply by Valeria in this thread, of the clients you’ve worked within the past year, this metric shows the percentage of clients you worked with and received regular payments from for at least three months. Once that criteria is met, your profile will eventually reflect this in your stats. 

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
jpendrigh
Ace Contributor
James P Member Since: Oct 1, 2017
12 of 17

It seems to a rather meaningless metric anyway. I don't have any long-term clients yet but I'm close. I see that it appears to be expressed as a percentage rather than an absolute number. This means that if I have one long-term client and multiple one-time contracts my percentage is going to be low, whereas a freelancer with a one single contract will be at 100%?

Doesn't really seem to be representative of anything.

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
13 of 17

Hi James,

Thank you for your feedback.
While the scenario you have described is true, keep in mind that Freelancers will need to have at least 5-6 contracts with 3 different clients before becoming eligible for Job Succes Score.

~ Goran
Upwork
jpendrigh
Ace Contributor
James P Member Since: Oct 1, 2017
14 of 17

So, a bit of time has passed and I have clients that now neet the criteria. Naturally, I now have a percentage number for the long-term client metric.  This is actually a lot higher than the speculative scenario I posted above.  It does not appear to correlate to the number of clients, nor the earnings from those clients nor any other scenario I can think of.

I need to stand by my position that it is a meaningless statistic if even high-level information on its derivation is not available.

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
15 of 17

I hate to piggyback on someone else's thread but this stood out for me because my Long-Term Clients question is pretty much the opposite. TLDR: I have a Long-Term Clients score...but I don't actually have any Long-Term Clients.

Starting last month I was showing 11% for long-term clients...which was crazy because I didn't have any. Smiley Very Happy Long-term clients are 3 months, correct? I had had NO clients for three months straight. I did have one return client but he had only returned twice at...hmmm. I'd have to go back and look at my stats. About...a month and a half later and then about the same after that? Something like that. (ETA: Sorry,  the first were 2 months apart, then they were a little more than a month apart.) That doesn't seem ongoing/continuous to me, and it wasn't on the same job anyway. Each job was closed out as it was done.

I did have one client I was (and am) working for regularly...but that only started at the end of December and I received this status before I had reached three months with him, on any job. In fact...I STILL haven't reached three months with this client yet.

Now my score for this has gone down a hair but that part does make sense, as I have had more jobs in the meantime so whoever would have been considered a "long-term client" has now become a smaller percentage of the whole.

But...it's weird...how am I getting a long-term client percentage when I don't actually have any long-term clients? Just curious. Thanks.

It isn't a bother, it hasn't worried me enough to  post on here about it before but now that I saw this thread I thought I'd ask.

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
16 of 17

Hi Melanie,

Long-term clients can be clients that you've worked with over one or even multiple contracts for at least three months, so it does not necessarily have to be 3 consecutive months of an open contract to qualify and can also include hourly or fixed-price work.

~Nina
melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
17 of 17

@Nina K wrote:

Hi Melanie,

Long-term clients can be clients that you've worked with over one or even multiple contracts for at least three months, so it does not necessarily have to be 3 consecutive months of an open contract to qualify and can also include hourly or fixed-price work.

Okay. Thanks, Nina. I guess it includes "repeat" clients, then. This is really the only thing it could have been.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS