Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Manuel time, Refund requested by client,

Lalaina Fenosoa R Member Since: Jul 24, 2017
1 of 28

Hi,

I have two cases 

1. I have applyed a job for test ios game. On the posting job, the price is fixed of $5. Before the client hire me, he said that he will pay me $3/h. And I accept the job. Son on the contract the job is $3/h limited on 1h/weekly. The job can' t  be done on 1h after the job is done. I explain the job. You have 2 link which send you to download the game on Appstore. So you get 2 game, from 1game you have to download 5 adds game that you have to play 1min. So you must download 12 games. After that you give review of the 2 games that you take from the link. Take some  screen shoot of 12 games, feel notification on excel files. From my side because of my internet speed, the jobe take 2h20 instead of 1h. I ask then a manual time of the 1h20. And I close contract because work is done successfully. I see on my working in progress overview that the amount is change $7 instead of $3 => I have right to request this manual time? In that case is the amount $7 was changed after confirmation of the client?
  2. The client tell me to give him refund because he tell me that the job is for 1h. I explain him how I proceed for the job. And why I request this manual time. But if he need I give him refund as well. When I give refund, it show that there is no invoice so the refund can be done. I sent the print screen to the client to inform him that refund can be done. My question is : how to give him refund of $4? In this case this have an impact of my reputation job? 
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 28

was it even an hourly job?

If the limit is 1 hour per week then no matter how many hours you log, it will always only bill the client 1 hour and you only get paid one hour per work.

Never log more time than discussed with the client previously (be it via the tracker or manual time)

If the extra time was logged this current week, just delete the extra time from your work diary.

I only see one similar job in your work history, and that was in July.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 28

The freelancer said that because of his slow internet speed, it takes so long to download files that a job which should have taken 1 hour instead took 2 hours and twenty minutes. And he wants to charge the client manual time.

This is with a client who seems to be asking for an insane amount of work, allowing only one hour within which to do the work, and then asking for a refund when charged less than the cost of a sandwich?

Lalaina: my honest advice to you is that you should not be working for this client. Also, you should learn more about how hourly contracts, fixed-price contracts and manual time work. Spend some time reading about these topics of in the Forum.

This sounds like one of those attempts to mix the fixed-price and hourly contract models, and that almost never works out well for the freelancer.

Community Guru
4 of 28

@Preston H wrote:

The freelancer said that because of his slow internet speed, it takes so long to download files that a job which should have taken 1 hour instead took 2 hours and twenty minutes. And he wants to charge the client manual time.

I missed that bit ...

Why would the client be wanting to pay extra for a failing of the freelancer's system?

Apart from the fact that the client is a cheapskate of course the whole thing is too ridiculous for wordds.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 28

@Petra R wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

I missed that bit ...

Why would the client be wanting to pay extra for a failing of the freelancer's system?

Apart from the fact that the client is a cheapskate of course the whole thing is too ridiculous for wordds.

I'm no expert on apps and games, but downloading 12 games, leaving two reviews and taking screenshots within each of the 12 games (and something about Excel that I didn't understand) does not sound like a one-hour job to me, regardless of internet speed.

6 of 28

Thank you for your advice. I will see this topic about hourly.

7 of 28

Petra,

It was hourly job after interview but on proposal it was fix.

Community Guru
8 of 28

@Lalaina Fenosoa R wrote:

Petra,

It was hourly job after interview but on proposal it was fix.

Why do you think the client should be paying for your own system issues?

Did you discuss adding manual time with the client first?

How did you even manage to add manual time to a contract with a one hour limit?

9 of 28

On working dairy when it is not yet ended I see that I can request manual time By asking to the client. I have send him message. After that I have ended the contract because work is done. The rate is still $3. I was surprised to see on the morning that it was change on $7 and I think that the client accept my request.
Yesterday night (my local time) He send me message : "Hello Why you Track more than one hour??This job was for one hour Please refund me rest amount I want to end contract today I want to give you feedback today"
I thing that perhaps he accept my request but he do not see what he do, His mistake then he cannot get it again. That is why he tell me to refund him. But in my side I cannot do it any more because I had already ended contract. 

Chloe W Member Since: Aug 26, 2018
10 of 28

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, just had a quick question.

I had a client end a contract and I guess he sent in a ticket for a refund request, as per the message I received. I never had an issue giving him one as neither of us were happy with the contract, so I went ahead and issued it to him via the invoice.

I'm just a little confused.....the hours I put in from 2 weeks ago were sitting in my pending balance, and the $45 was removed from that balance (I kinda needed it today and didn't realize that was the balance it was pulling from). For those hours, the project was successfully completed, and I definitely should be getting paid for it. My question is will the $45 that is currently in review still reach my account? Essentially, we had 2 blogs at 2.5 hours per blog, I should still be receiving the 45$ worth of work for the first one and the second should be refunded to him....I'm sorry if that's confusing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS