Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Means you are ending feedback

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
11 of 14

Personally, for me, I think this JS thing will hurt my business... at least at first. I worked on oDesk about a year an a half ago. Worked primarily on this site, and have maintained a 4.99 overall feedback rating (star rating). However, I had to stop working on here for about a year, due to some personal matters, and recently came back to work on the site. I've only been back for about two weeks, working very part-time, so I haven't even established a JS rating yet - but my glowing star rating is still there (until the 15th anyway lol). 

Based on my understanding of how the JS score is calculated, and the time frame it uses for this calculation, it's quite possible that I'll have to wait 6 months to even establish a JS rating. Kind of sucks for me just because I feel like it's taking away from the credibility and work history that I had already established on the site - like I'm back to being the new kid on the block. Although, I have to admit, I do see how this could benefit many freelancers, more specifically the "top-tier" contractors, but I do feel like it will also hurt any new contractors on the site, or people like me who stopped for a while then came back.

Oh, well. Nothing we can really do about it anyway. Just gotta keep plugging away, I guess. Smiley Happy

mark8979
Community Leader
Mark C Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
12 of 14

So the stars are staying but the useful little bit that tells everyone what the average is is being removed.

Brilliant idea, get rid of something that everybody in the world understands and replace it with something that nobody understands.

I'm just a little surprised that companies like Amazon and eBay (along with every other company who has customer (client) feedback) hasn't woken up to the idea that they are giving out useless information with their average feedback scores, or are they deluding themselves that it is useful.

Seems like everyone apart from Upwork is out of step.

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
13 of 14

They should replace those averages for each individual with a metric designed to show how a company can grow itself. Sure it doesn't make sense, but if they keep it secret nobody will know how irrelevant it is, and it will gain an air of mystery.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
14 of 14

@Stephen B wrote:

They should replace those averages for each individual with a metric designed to show how a company can grow itself. Sure it doesn't make sense, but if they keep it secret nobody will know how irrelevant it is, and it will gain an air of mystery.

Stephen,

Your post reveals—and others who have raised and/or discussed this point elsewhere, please excuse my seizing the moment here—the "productivity" metric at the heart of Job Success. Those of us with a full roster of clients and a full schedule of work on or off the platform—and who also have no interest in subcontracting and (shudder!) managing the work of others—may recognize that we run businesses, and have no desire whatsoever to "grow" them.

Upwork has projected phenomenal—one is tempted to say unattainable—growth in the next six years. Guess on whose backs they are placing that expectation? From their point of view, a metric for growing business is exactly what they want. The question will be whether those of us who contribute steady, predictable, and flat revenue for them will eventually be squeezed out in favor of empire-builders.

Thanks and best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS