cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestones

lesw1223
Lesli W Member Since: Dec 21, 2016
1 of 5

Hi, I have a contract from a client for a specific dollar amount and correspondence from him stating that he would send milestones and pay me for each milestone.  I worked for a few weeks and met 3 of the milestones and received payment for those in a timely manner; however, this only makes up for about half of the contract dollar amount. For two weeks, I've messaged the client requesting the next milestone.  He rarely responds, but when he does, he says "it will be a couple more days" or something to that effect.  But after two weeks, I still haven't received any more work from him.  What are my options?  I think it's important to note that he seemed to be a very good client and was very responsive when I was completing the work for the first 3 milestones.  It was only after I submitted the 3rd milestone and received payment that he became difficult to get in touch with. 

allergywriter
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
2 of 5

This time of year can be tough.

Your client could be waiting on information from someone who is out of the office.

Your client could be taking some time off.

Your client could just be working slow. 

Things will probably pick back up after the fist of the year.

lesw1223
Lesli W Member Since: Dec 21, 2016
3 of 5

But if that is the case, why doesn't he just say that?  I feel like I'm getting the runaround when he keeps putting me off ("I'll send it to you tomorrow", "it may be a couple days", etc), or just simply not responding to my messages. 

allergywriter
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
4 of 5

I don't know your client, so these are just guesses.

#1  He doesn't want to be bothered right now and he sees your communication as a bother

#2  See #1 above

The last thing you ever want to appear is needy.  I have a client (not Upwork) that tends to say they want something and then disappear part way through their projects. 

The way I handle it is I email him and let him know that since I don't have what I need to go further I am taking him off my editorial calendar until "blah blah" date.  I let him know that when he has his information together I will get him scheduled again.  I know we do different types of work, but it looks something like this

"Hi Bleep - Since you didn't get a chance to pull that list of topics together, I've released the time on Thursday and Friday dedicated to your project.  I can get you rescheduled for the middle of next week if I have your list by Friday morning. It's OK if you can't get your list by Friday, just give me 3 days (or how many days I am scheduled out)  notice and I'll get you back on the calendar."

Then I let it go...........just work on other jobs until he reappears.  I know the guy is busy and I respect that by not nagging him, but just letting him know what he needs to do when he is ready to proceed.

ajmalrasheed
Ajmal R Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
5 of 5

Dear Lesli,
The only thing you can do is to wait patiently for your client to get back to you for the rest of the work. Your client might have some difficulties to proceed further or he might be busy with something else which he doesn't want to share with you. If you feel like he is not coming back even after a couple of emails, you can politely ask him to end the contract. Don't close the contract by yourself as it may affect your JSS. Good luck!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS