cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monday at Upwork

katrinabeaver
Community Guru

I have gotten 10 invites this morning. None of which fit my skills but the one I just got takes the cake.  They're selling their beautiful lab puppies.   lol

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
19 REPLIES 19
lysis10
Community Guru

I've been promised a $500 bonus if I get 4k words in by tomorrow, so I'm doing 4k words today cuz I got another deadline tomorrow for 1500 words. Shoot me. Even Orangetheory hasn't made the pain of 4k words feel better.

Just recieved 4 more invites, none of them in my skills area.  that is a total of 14.  Upwork are you wacky monday today lolol

 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

two quick thoughts and a question:

- katrina you are really popular

- let me look into what's going on

- jen what is Orangetheory? Am I missing out?

 

 


@Tam L wrote:

two quick thoughts and a question:

- katrina you are really popular

- let me look into what's going on

- jen what is Orangetheory? Am I missing out?

 

 


Ha ha Hey Tam.  I'm may be popular in transcription but not in German translation, logo creation, accounting and selling Lab puppies lololol.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

@Tam L wrote:

two quick thoughts and a question:

- katrina you are really popular

- let me look into what's going on

- jen what is Orangetheory? Am I missing out?

 

 


Tam, having duplicate profiles is not allowed on Upwork. You may be banned by the algorithm. Don't think I'm kidding, I know the guy who wrote the algorithm 🙂

 

On a more serious note, I think you should expand your profile a bit. It doesn't really say much about what you do.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
pandoraharper
Community Guru

Got into my office this morning to find that Internet was down. Did all the usual troubleshooting, and my main work machine back online in the first 30 minutes.

 

Between business tasks and such, the backup machine took 2 hours to get back online. Finally restarted the internet devices AGAIN and all was well.

 

Now it's almost lunch, and I have gotton NOTHING done today.

 

Had a very late in the day interview which could have gone better, but wasn't as difficult as I expected.

 

Edit: typos, update

datasciencewonk
Community Guru

Normally I just pass by the bottom feeder postings.

 

But there is a flood of them on my feed today. 

 

I mean at least they're honest (some of them): GIVE ME HIGH QUALITY WRITING FOR THE CHEAPEST PRICE!

 

While those aren't always mutually exclusive I'd gather...the odds aren't in his favor LOL!

 

And what's with this increasing demand for writer's making sure there are "colorful pictures" in the text? No offense fellow clients, but, if you want stock photos, hire a graphic designer to help you out? Just a random thought....

 

Happy Monday!

I got good feedback - public anyway! And almost a new client - perhaps . . .


@Nichola L wrote:

I got good feedback - public anyway! And almost a new client - perhaps . . .


 <-- Is also interacting with a perspective client. Imminent interview sometime today. Luck to you!

nosvan
Community Leader

Today marks 3 months without a new job. I admit it, I'm not in a very good situation right now. 


@Jose Daniel M wrote:

Today marks 3 months without a new job. I admit it, I'm not in a very good situation right now. 


Quite a few of us have had a slow summer. If your usually contracting out to US clients, you should start seeing an uptick any time now.


@Pandora H wrote:

@Jose Daniel M wrote:

Today marks 3 months without a new job. I admit it, I'm not in a very good situation right now. 


Quite a few of us have had a slow summer. If your usually contracting out to US clients, you should start seeing an uptick any time now.


 

I'm not picky. I just thought I was not good enough among all those fancy top rated people. Well, is this or 22$ a month (8hrs a day, 5 days a week).


@Jose Daniel M wrote:

I'm not picky. I just thought I was not good enough among all those fancy top rated people. Well, is this or 22$ a month (8hrs a day, 5 days a week).


 My goodness Jose.  What can you buy for $22?  Is that enough to cover basic rent and groceries? 

nosvan
Community Leader

 My goodness Jose.  What can you buy for $22?  Is that enough to cover basic rent and groceries? 


 

I live in a country where about 30 million people ask the same question. Now that is working for peanuts, don't you think? I try my best not to forget that my I studied for 5 years to get a degree and said degree qualifies me for more than just 22$ a month (that's why I'm here).

 

 


@Jose Daniel M wrote:

@Pandora H wrote:

@Jose Daniel M wrote:

Today marks 3 months without a new job. I admit it, I'm not in a very good situation right now. 


Quite a few of us have had a slow summer. If your usually contracting out to US clients, you should start seeing an uptick any time now.


 

I'm not picky. I just thought I was not good enough among all those fancy top rated people. Well, is this or 22$ a month (8hrs a day, 5 days a week).


You are good enough! But freelancing has its highs and lows and one has to budget against the lows. Do not give in to the bottom feeders. You have good feedback, but now you must hold out for the rates you advertise, even if you think you are losing out. You are not. In the long run you will win. If you are not working on an hourly basis, your basic translating rate should be not less than $0. 04 per word. Although your English is very good, as a translator,  you should only offer your skills from English to Spanish. 

 

Have a little more respect for your skills and education. They are considerable!

You are good enough! But freelancing has its highs and lows and one has to budget against the lows. Do not give in to the bottom feeders. You have good feedback, but now you must hold out for the rates you advertise, even if you think you are losing out. You are not. In the long run you will win. If you are not working on an hourly basis, your basic translating rate should be not less than $0. 04 per word. Although your English is very good, as a translator, you should only offer your skills from English to Spanish. Have a little more respect for your skills and education. They are considerable!

---------------------------------------------------------

I am aware of the value of my skills, and I learned the nature of freelancing the hard way I guess. Still, I think I just need to learn how to be above the average (even though I've improved my proposals a lot).

My Monday started out with barely crawling internet.  Rebooted the wi-fi modem four times, restarted my computer, cleaned my disk, spent 30 minutes on hold and 30 minutes talking to service provider who, in view of everything I had tried, suggested I try a different browser, which didn't work.

 

Anyway, it finally got back to normal and the day ended with a bonus from a new client.  In four years, I've never had a bonus before!  (Of course, I usually work hourly and I think bonuses are easier for the client on fixed-price jobs). Sadly, I doubt this client will ever need me again but I really liked him.

@Mary

 

Gratz on the bonus! Are you by any chance a Comcast Xfinity customer? Once I was able to get online, I did the Google and found there were outages all over the nation this morning.

Pandora, we have CableOne which is usually fantastic and we even have underground utilities from the street.  Sadly, a week or so ago there was a huge crash on the street and they've been working on it ever since.  I usually really like CableOne but today it got to me as I usually have a rush proofreading job of a 50+ page psychological evaluation on Monday morning and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to download it.  Anyway, my client got so messed up that I never even got the report.

 


@Pandora H wrote:

@Mary

 

Gratz on the bonus! Are you by any chance a Comcast Xfinity customer? Once I was able to get online, I did the Google and found there were outages all over the nation this morning.


 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS