🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Most of them are scam
Page options
48c6c9d2
Community Member

Most of them are scam

I applied for multiple jobs here, but most of them are scams. All I got interviews were scams. I am tired of it!!!

7 REPLIES 7
7a680d2f
Community Member

The thing is just so tiring. You will spend your connects on scammers post. I have studied them. I won't fall for their tricks anymore. 

debi-f
Community Member

My suggestion is DON'T BID and DON'T BUY CONNECTS, because this is what Upwork is looking for. They earn money from freelancers buying connects and boosting bids.

My suggestions to detect scammers: 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/My-suggestions-to-avoid-scammers/m-p/1353911#M771669

2ef54d61
Community Member

Learn to look for signs. 

Check out other jobs the client posted. Have they posted the same job numerous times? Have they verified payment? Does the pay seem too good to be true? Is it the only job they've posted on Upwork? 

Check the body of the post as well. If they mention Whatsapp, it's almost certainly a scam. Scammers will also post long job posts that actually contain very little information about what the job actually is. They'll talk about what a great position it is and how they're looking for someone to do (insert laundry list of general skills in a field here). Watch for phrases like "great opportunity" "more future work" "join our team" etc. 

debi-f
Community Member

My suggestion is DON'T BID and DON'T BUY CONNECTS, because this is what Upwork is looking for. They earn money from freelancers buying connects and boosting bids.

My suggestions to detect scammers: 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/My-suggestions-to-avoid-scammers/m-p/1353911#M771669

• Don't search only directly at "Find Work".
  • Go to the bar "Search for job" and apply Filters.
  • One of them is "Payment verified" (although today there are scammers with payment verified and Upwork is not checking it, it could help).
  • Other Filter is "Client history". I suggest to check "1 to 9 hires" and  "10+ hires". At least, you are sure that the client really hired freelancers.  
  • Check the Date since the client is a member. Usually the scammers are members from the same day they post their jobs, and they didn't hire anyone. 
  • DON'T BID for jobs that ask for +20, +40 languages translation, or they publish a list of 15 languages, even when they have their payment verified. They verify their payment from different countries every day. 
  • Don't bid and don't connect if they publish a link (telegram, mail, etc.). 
  • DON'T BUY CONNECTS, and DON'T BOOST YOUR BIDS. If you do it, you are paying to Upwork for finding a job instead of earning money from your work. Serious clients will find the best options according to your skills and not the amount of bids you use. I only buy 10 connects if I used my 10 free connects, and if I find a real job that is a good fit for me. 

I would add: 

- No typing pdf to word jobs or images to word, typist, things like that...

- Check out what other jobs they have, they usually have a 0% hire rate and the account was opened one day before o the same day and most of them are payment verified.  They send the same scripts every day. 

ArjayM

Hi Mizuho,

Thank you for reaching out, and I'm sorry to learn about this unpleasant and disappointing experience. We encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

You should check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork. Best of luck!

~ Arjay
Upwork
yofazza
Community Member

I recently noticed another thing to spot, it's when they ask you to do something simple but use excessive jargon or uncommon terms.

They need help with simple installations that any willing-end-users should be able to do it by themselves, but they mentioned things that end-users shouldn't know about. I saved those jobs and I'm right, they're either deleted or no hires with some interviews only (bless the interviewees)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members