🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client did not pay me for the work
Page options
ecvetinikj
Community Member

My client did not pay me for the work

Hello,
I am a new on Upwork and i foun an interesting job just as a start.I was assigned to do illustrations for this client and i said that if she does not like them she has no responsibility to pay me. When i sent her my illustration she only liked one and she said that i need to do some changes and then she will be happy to pay me. I spen hours making this illustration and the moment i sent her all the files she just disappeared but when she needed me she was always active. I sent her messages that she needs to give me a feebasck but she never did even though she said she would. Today i saw that the job proposal was no longer available and still she has not replied to my messages.(i have all he screenshots of the chat)

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My client did not pay me for the work"

As a GENERAL principle:

It is inappropriate for a client to simply "not pay" you for your work.

A client who does this is behaving unprofessionally, unethically, and immorally.

However, this specific case has some unusual characteristics. The focus now needs to be on the freelancer and her mistakes.

re: "I am a new on Upwork and I found an interesting job just as a start. I was assigned to do illustrations for this client and I said that if she does not like them she has no responsibility to pay me"

You were wrong to say that.

That is NOT how Upwork is intended to be used.

I believe that you made serious mistakes in the way that you used Upwork.

In the future, do not work for free.

And do not offer to work for free.

If a client hires you to do a task, then the client should pay you for doing that task.

Regardless of whether or not the client claims to "like" or "dislike" your work.

You have no way of reading a client's mind.

You should never say that a client doesn't like your work.

How can you know?

You can't.

The only thing that you now is that a client CLAIMS she didn't like your work.

A client may be lying about that in order to get the work for free.

I believe that you should STOP communicating with this client completely.

You should STOP thinking about the work that you did for her.

You should never again try to get any money from this specific project.

From what I can tell, you made two key mistakes:

- You worked without a contract; so there is no way for you to get paid

- You told a client that if she does not "like" your work, she does not need to pay for it

Leave this in the past.

Focus now on learning how to use Upwork properly.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like here in this thread to help you identify what your mistakes were. If you identify those mistakes, then you can change how you use Upwork and never make those same mistakes again in the future.

jaycrutcher
Community Member

You were vulnerable and got exploited for free work. It sucks. But you as an illustrator should never, ever be willing to work for less than you are worth, and never ever work for free. If there is no contract offered that is agreeable to you then you don't work. If the client is unsure of whether they will like your work they can pay you for a test illustration, or you don't work. If they are aggressive with you during the interview then it's up to you, but I don't work. Real clients will hire you, they will respect your time, and they will want to pay you for your sevices. It's a transaction, they aren't doing you a favor, don't let them treat you like it is.

tlbp
Community Member

Evgenija C wrote:

Hello,
I am a new on Upwork and i foun an interesting job just as a start.I was assigned to do illustrations for this client and i said that if she does not like them she has no responsibility to pay me. When i sent her my illustration she only liked one and she said that i need to do some changes and then she will be happy to pay me. I spen hours making this illustration and the moment i sent her all the files she just disappeared but when she needed me she was always active. I sent her messages that she needs to give me a feebasck but she never did even though she said she would. Today i saw that the job proposal was no longer available and still she has not replied to my messages.(i have all he screenshots of the chat)

If you don't set up your contracts correctly and protect yourself, people may take your work. Because you were not paid, you still own the art and the scammer has no right to use it. You can publish the work yourself, add it to your portfolio and send a takedown notice if you see it being used online. 

How long has it been since you queried the potential client? Could they just be gone for the weekend or are you certain they are gone for good? 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members