🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client is asking for invoice details.
Page options
bowie125
Community Member

My client is asking for invoice details.

Hi,

My client is requesting invoice details and is insisting that I send this information to her email. I have never done this before and I not comfortable with sending personal information to a stranger.

Is there a way Upwork can provide them with this?

Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

You can go to your Transaction History page and download invoices created by Upwork.

ETA: I could be wrong about this (and correct me if I am), but I think those invoices are available to clients as well, and full name and addresses are included on them.

Clients can access invoices, but our name and address are only included if we set it that way in our settings.

invoice address.jpg

In various countries clients have to be able to show proper invoices for money they paid by law.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My client is requesting invoice details and is insisting that I send this information to her email."

Exactly what information is she asking for?

Hi Preston,

She is asking for my name, address, and the full amount she paid me, but I'm only comfortable giving the last.

Thanks.

Sorry, to clarify, she has asked me to create and send her the invoice.

She already has your name and the amount of money she paid.

Honestly, I think she probably just wants this so she can comply with her local laws. Maybe for her own tax purposes. It doesn't sound like she's phishing or anything.

She doesn't need your personal address.

You could make a simple invoice which has your name, the dollar amount, and your business address.

Maybe your business address is a P.O. box at a local post office.

What if you looked up the address of a local post office, and provided that address?

If you obtained a P.O. box there... and somebody sent something to you in your name to that address, it would reach you.

(Of course... She's not ACTUALLY going to send you anything.)

And keep in mind that you can create "single-purpose email addresses" or "throw-away email addresses" that are not your personal, "prime" email address. There are many ways you can create such email addresses for free, and use them to communicate with clients. You could even go the "extra mile" and provide such an email address on the invoice itself.

Thank you, Preston. Much appreciated.
mtngigi
Community Member

You can go to your Transaction History page and download invoices created by Upwork.

ETA: I could be wrong about this (and correct me if I am), but I think those invoices are available to clients as well, and full name and addresses are included on them.

petra_r
Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

Clients can access invoices, but our name and address are only included if we set it that way in our settings.

invoice address.jpg

In various countries clients have to be able to show proper invoices for money they paid by law.

bowie125
Community Member

Thank you!
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members